OT: Building new residential home

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OT: Building new residential home

Hello,
Thought I would try to ask this question here as it is a great community. Not car related at all.

Anyone in the business of building homes? Or has built one themselves and knows of a good project manager/contractor?

Hoping to ask a couple questions. Please let me know via PM.

Thank you.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Wink

no location = centre of the universe = Toronto?
Old 12-27-2016, 01:57 PM
rellim
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have had 7 new homes built .
2 of them I did not buy
2 different counties , 1 signed off all the inspections before the foundation was done drying.
My lawyer told me I would be changed with trespassing if I check on the house again, from builder.
Also was banned from public building code offices and they were not allowed to talk to me.
2nd county never inspected the house being built , they did sign off on the inspection in a timely way at the golf golf course. Was banned from that building code office too.

Most corrupt endeavor you'll ever get into.
Do not look for your building inspector to do his job.
Builder will cut every corner they can.

That is a short version.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Old 12-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by rellim
Have had 7 new homes built .
2 of them I did not buy
2 different counties , 1 signed off all the inspections before the foundation was done drying.
My lawyer told me I would be changed with trespassing if I check on the house again, from builder.
Also was banned from public building code offices and they were not allowed to talk to me.
2nd county never inspected the house being built , they did sign off on the inspection in a timely way at the golf golf course. Was banned from that building code office too.

Most corrupt endeavor you'll ever get into.
Do not look for your building inspector to do his job.
Builder will cut every corner they can.

That is a short version.

GOOD LUCK !!!
Any of them in Canada?
Old 12-27-2016, 05:36 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Any of them in Canada?
Thats what I was thinking.

no location = centre of the universe = Toronto?
Is that my inside voice
Old 12-28-2016, 10:39 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did a fully custom build 2 years ago and trying to do another one soon. The biggest thing is to find a builder you trust. Even in our neighbourhood I've heard horror stories about some of the developers, but some of of them are truly passionate about what they do...

if you have any question, I'd be happy to try and help.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 AM
cpt_slow
Instructor

Best advice, Find someone you trust that knows what they are doing.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:52 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Location ??
Old 12-28-2016, 01:58 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I had my house built 22ys ago and was very happy with the builder until he outright lied to me on a warranty issue right in front of the ontario new home warranty program inspector. The issue was resolved and they built me a great house , I just felt like they were trying to avoid fixing the issue. iirc there was a study that showed
~ 80-90% would not use the same builder again. During a custom build there are always changes in that can be made and extras that depend upon a good client builder relationship. I would never use a builder who would not let me inside during the build. What could they be hiding?
Old 12-28-2016, 05:06 PM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

The home being built is in the GTA (west). AKA Center of the Universe, nearly.

It is a learning process but what others have said, and because there are so many fine details, is very true - finding someone you trust is key and going with them.

Was curious if someone had a builder they can recommend and if they went through a process of setting up a bid or simply got quotes for a few different individuals and chose from there.

Everything is a cost in the process and there are plenty of chances to get ripped off, is what I can tell so far.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:42 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I will be following this thread closely. I'm in the same market, but east end.So far have not even heard back from a couple of high-end builders. They seem very busy.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:47 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

^ that is the primary issue these days, the reputable builders are so busy many fluff off small projects and "problem" clients. I have talked to many homeowners after their builds in my area (GTA West) and they all have minor complaints but overall were satisfied.

The one that seems to stick out in my neck of the woods based on overall # of projects and overall satisfaction process wise is Rusand homes.

In a couple of years we will be looking to add a second story and based on recent builds around the corner we will likely be choosing the modular addition route.
Old 12-29-2016, 03:21 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

We met with Slotegraaf about a year ago to discuss a potential new build. They are located west of the GTA, and do some very nice design builds. We never got to the 'reference check' stage, but based on their attitude, responsiveness, and apparent quality, I would definitely give them a look.

We ended up buying a home, as new builds from scratch are a big pain in the **** (ie: construction financing, bank hassles, etc.). And you aren't bound to make a profit when custom building a single home - just the opposite. Definitely worth while to build your dream home though IMO.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:56 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I can provide you with 3-5 names running from reasonable to very high end. I haven't had a home built but am a Realtor.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ggrace
I can provide you with 3-5 names running from reasonable to very high end. I haven't had a home built but am a Realtor.
see if Steve Gill is still in it. Been out of the trades for a couple of decades so I'm not current.

Quick Reply: OT: Building new residential home