Notices

Purchase advise from Investors..

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM
samcro
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
What a modest and non-descriptive way to ask a simple question. (Sarcasm)

Seven total posts to date, and four are in this thread. Sir OP, I do have my suspicions about your query, but your conduct so far is polite, acceptable, and welcome.

Thanks..I was referred by a friend to this Forum for any Porsche related inquiry. Forum has wealth of knowledge and I am blown away by the positivity and helping nature of most members. Too bad I cant say the same about other AMG & M forums that I've personally experienced

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
In short...no.

Canada receives a fraction of the cars the U.S. receives so not as much selection. There's simply not much out there.

Last week there wasn't a single 991 targa! Loads of overpriced GT3's though...
Yea although I love the 991 GT3, cant justify playing this overhyped market.
I'd very pleased with a 991 S. Reason I am so drawn to this brand is the ability to hold value if maintained properly as compared to other brands/
Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by samcro
...Yea although I love the 991 GT3, cant justify playing this overhyped market.
I'd very pleased with a 991 S. Reason I am so drawn to this brand is the ability to hold value if maintained properly as compared to other brands/
Actually the GT3 is one of the very few Porsche cars that do hold value. Not any regular 911 though. For $100K or less get a 2007-2012 Turbo for the best CHANCE to lower your losses. And I dont know how anyone can justify a luxury sports car as a business expense no matter what one does for living. Everyone does it untill they get audited. Ask me how I know. Like others suggested, pay cash and dont think about depreciation. Not everything in life is about making money. Drive it and enjoy.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:08 AM
Turbojamie
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd be shopping a 997.2 turbo or even an S before dropping the loot on a new 991 myself but I guess to each his own. In the world of Pcars other than true enthusiasts the general public doesn't know a 996 from a 991 and everyone thinks you have a 150k car.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:24 AM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbojamie
I'd be shopping a 997.2 turbo or even an S before dropping the loot on a new 991 myself but I guess to each his own. In the world of Pcars other than true enthusiasts the general public doesn't know a 996 from a 991 and everyone thinks you have a 150k car.
That's like telling an African American not to use a ***** pump.....
Old 08-09-2016, 11:57 AM
PPo
Drifting

I am blown away by the positivity and helping nature of most members. Too bad I cant say the same about other AMG & M forums that I've personally experienced
Maintain some thick skin and be welcome to the fact that we are all gentlemen, but we REALLY like to give people a hard time. If you don't receive a well positioned insult, you haven't been here long enough. The good news is that nobody means harm, everybody is welcome, you just need to learn to roll with it... and there is lots of friendly/helpful people who will insult you. You are an egocentric easy money real estate jerk right?

Yea although I love the 991 GT3, cant justify playing this overhyped market.
Personally, I never look at cars as an investment.... I look at cars as the reason why I make money. I like to own them full out as soon as possible, drive them hard, scratch'em, wear them out, and look for the next one. Yes, it's a costly approach... but I like it that way! ;-)

Careful about thinking they hold value. The 993 and 964 used to trade at around $20K, sometimes less for a good one. But they became desired because of the internet hype due to some bad 996/997 engines. The quality was simply less also in the early Boxster and 996 years, but they are still very good cars relatively. The improvement of the 997 and the 991, and all the variants in between will most likely cause the market to settle in the next few years across the board due to supply and demand. As the current younger kids/adults age, their interest in cars is not as broad and passionate as it was with the generations that are now in their 30s/40s/50s. We are perhaps in the halcyon days of the value of 911s... So buy to enjoy the car, not make or keep money... If you happen to do both, good for you!
Old 08-09-2016, 05:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

i am not sure PPO speaks for everyone.

welcome aboard.

if you do end up taking the plunge or are even interested, you should probably check out two forums. This one that has regional goings on , and whatever model specific forum you are interested in. Lots of technical information as well as things to watch out for with specific models.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:47 PM
19VFB19
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

SAMCRO

Jax would cut your heart out and carve a big SoA on your forehead for thinking about buying / driving a 99?

Pay cash and enjoy all its awesomeness.

Oh... make sure you check Pfaff in Woodbridge. .. just drop in for a looksee... lol... and be prepared to leave with your new car purschase agreement. .. its happened to a few of us....

Last edited by 19VFB19; 08-09-2016 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 08-09-2016, 10:51 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

991 = lease and return, pay to play but get rid of them cause they aren't build like they were before and they depreciate big time unless its a low production model.
Old 08-09-2016, 10:58 PM
samcro
Track Day

Originally Posted by 19VFB19
SAMCRO
Jax would cut your heart out and carve a big SoA on your forehead for thinking about buying / driving a 99?
Pay cash and enjoy all its awesomeness.
Oh... make sure you check Pfaff in Woodbridge. .. just drop in for a looksee... lol... and be prepared to leave with your new car purschase agreement. .. its happened to a few of us....
and that's what I am trying to avoid without proper research.
I was searching autotrader.ca & I am shocked there's barely any 997 Turbo's ...heck even manual 997.2's for that matter. Tons of 997.1's though
What's going on? People only buy/sell/trade at Porsche dealers?
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
991 = lease and return, pay to play but get rid of them cause they aren't build like they were before and they depreciate big time unless its a low production model.
How rude.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:50 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I think the larger consideration is that for me at least Porsches are very special cars and you become part of a community that is full of enthusiasts who love the cars and welcome everyone equally whether it's a 918 or a well used 924. There is history,Motorsport DNA, and the sheer pleasure of driving something that is just different to any other marque. It's worth laying out the cash.
Old 08-10-2016, 08:01 AM
REDTURBO
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and that's what I am trying to avoid without proper research. I was searching autotrader.ca & I am shocked there's barely any 997 Turbo's ...heck even manual 997.2's for that matter. Tons of 997.1's though What's going on? People only buy/sell/trade at Porsche dealers?
There are maybe 30 more 997.1s on autotrader then 997.2s within Canada for sale.
Don't forget in 2012 mid way through the 997.2 changed over to the 991.

What I'm finding is how high the mileages that are for sale which is a good thing for P-owners which means these cars are driven. Not so much in resale though....
Old 08-10-2016, 11:14 AM
samcro
Track Day

So essentially if I want a low mileage 997.2's or 991. Porsche dealers would be my best bet. I shouldn't even waste my time on autotrader.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

i agree with this if I were in that position. I would be very nervous owning one of these outside of any extended Warranty
Old 08-10-2016, 12:47 PM
samcro
Track Day

I am actually shocked to hear this about 991...Just curious, do either one of you actually own a 991 and have experienced poor build quality? Or is it a perception?

Originally Posted by theiceman
i agree with this if I were in that position. I would be very nervous owning one of these outside of any extended Warranty

Quick Reply: Purchase advise from Investors..