Notices

Considering Golf R to replace C4S as DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 01:40 PM
pavster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Choose your own path. Let us know how it works out. My guess you will be back to a 911, but who knows, maybe you can kick the habit.

Every year I go through the same routine. Some other car seems like a good alternative to my C2. I go drive it, I read forums. I obsess. And in the end I get a couple of goodies for my 911 and keep driving it. Test drove a Panamera GTS yesterday because it seemed like a good alternative. It's a great car in isolation. Amazing car. But it's no 911. Not even close. So cross that one off the list. Good thing my car is only worth about $30k now - I can stop thinking of it as an expensive car and not worry about where I park it.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:05 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
An older sti, sure. But they are more practical, not that I totally like the look, they are boy racer for sure.
STi stopped being practical when they ditched the 5dr.. At least now you can order one without that giant wing.

STi's still use the POS 2.5L engine that WILL grenade, then you can have fun dealing with Subaru of Canada for a warranty claim. Rattles in door panels/dash after 10-15k. I have so many clients with recent cars that have paper shoved in between dash parts to lessen rattles. Cabin is very noisy. The driving position in the new cars is also very odd. I do like Subaru's but I hate the build quality or lack there of.

The 5dr Golf R I drove had 20k on the odo, beautiful VW interior, no rattles, low cabin noise and spot on driving position. No boy racer looks either. A little drop, wheel spacers and call it a day!

To be honest though for that sorta money I rather pick up a CPO 320D Wagon.
Old 08-10-2016, 04:05 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by pavster
Choose your own path. Let us know how it works out. My guess you will be back to a 911, but who knows, maybe you can kick the habit.

Every year I go through the same routine. Some other car seems like a good alternative to my C2. I go drive it, I read forums. I obsess. And in the end I get a couple of goodies for my 911 and keep driving it. Test drove a Panamera GTS yesterday because it seemed like a good alternative. It's a great car in isolation. Amazing car. But it's no 911. Not even close. So cross that one off the list. Good thing my car is only worth about $30k now - I can stop thinking of it as an expensive car and not worry about where I park it.
We are separated at birth!
Old 08-10-2016, 06:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
STi stopped being practical when they ditched the 5dr.. At least now you can order one without that giant wing.

STi's still use the POS 2.5L engine that WILL grenade, then you can have fun dealing with Subaru of Canada for a warranty claim. Rattles in door panels/dash after 10-15k. I have so many clients with recent cars that have paper shoved in between dash parts to lessen rattles. Cabin is very noisy. The driving position in the new cars is also very odd. I do like Subaru's but I hate the build quality or lack there of.

The 5dr Golf R I drove had 20k on the odo, beautiful VW interior, no rattles, low cabin noise and spot on driving position. No boy racer looks either. A little drop, wheel spacers and call it a day!

For that money you could get a 997 or 2x 996 C4's
Old 08-10-2016, 06:46 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster

Totally true! Can't even compare the interior fit and finish. The GTI or R is many times better then any Subaru. Tastfully done. Not trying to be something it isn't.
Old 08-11-2016, 02:13 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
I honestly don't get it. The point of the thread is to have a conversation among, what I assumed were, car enthusiasts. I like lots of cars and I've owned lots of different kinds of cars (event a Dodge Challenger SRT-8 for two months...don't ask)...

If someone can't concede that a Mini or a GTi or a Golf R is a fun car and enjoyable to drive / own then IMHO they are only concerned about image and play into the stereotypical douche-nozzle that buys a performance car.

To me it's all about engineering and design. Heck, I was admiring what a handsome and apparently well made car the Kia Rondo is while I was sitting in the C4 in traffic this morning.
We Don't Get You! Are you Bipolar? In you First Post you asked for opinions and basically ANY Comments, then you turn around and write this crap.

First Post
It's been a while since I've driven a GTi but I remember loving it. Thinking about the Golf R as a DD instead of the C4S. Maybe keep the C4 as a weekend car and sell the 360...I have serious car ADD...

Opinions? Slander? Nonsensical musings to share?
Old 08-11-2016, 02:20 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
We Don't Get You! Are you Bipolar? In you First Post you asked for opinions and basically ANY Comments, then you turn around and write this crap.

First Post
My first comment was meant to be humorous. Some posters were aggressive and rude to other commenters. I think there's a difference there.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:33 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My first comment was meant to be humorous. Some posters were aggressive and rude to other commenters. I think there's a difference there.
You asked for it, what do you expect, this is a Porsche forum, someone who owns a C4S may not view your comparison in the same light.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:36 PM
mike.baa
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We are separated at birth!
Originally Posted by pavster

Going through this now Keep eyeing that r8 even though i know the 911 is better for me. Meh, boys and their toys!
Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mike.baa
Going through this now Keep eyeing that r8 even though i know the 911 is better for me. Meh, boys and their toys!
I don't learn either. I keep eyeing the R8 as well even though I had one and traded it on the GT3. Would be so much easier if I could just collect them all!
Old 08-12-2016, 05:29 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I don't learn either. I keep eyeing the R8 as well even though I had one and traded it on the GT3. Would be so much easier if I could just collect them all!
Have you driven or owned a Benz. The new C63 AMG looks amazing, or a current E63 AMG S. The E63 V8 is brilliant, has 4 WD makes for a great DD, IMHO.
Old 08-12-2016, 06:44 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboS
Have you driven or owned a Benz. The new C63 AMG looks amazing, or a current E63 AMG S. The E63 V8 is brilliant, has 4 WD makes for a great DD, IMHO.
It's dead sexy. Must be insane with awd! I especially like the coupe which is rwd only I think.

I have to admit that part of the appeal of the R is that most people will think it's an economy car.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:30 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

I think its a great looking car, and with AWD and some snows, looking forward to winter driving.
Check out the stock dyno numbers!
This is probably the best sounding turbocharged car I've ever heard.
It's akin to a 70's muscle cars but with all the amenities like, heating cooling and massaging seat.
Attached Images   

Last edited by TurboS; 08-14-2016 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: Considering Golf R to replace C4S as DD