4 POST LIFT - Raising Garage Door

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 01:10 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 4 POST LIFT - Raising Garage Door

Hey guys,

I've searched on this forum and found some info on raising a garage door some of this information is a bit dated so was hoping if I could get some peeps to chime in with some current contacts/info. Seem like their is a lot of people here who have this setup =)

What I have:
  • Single Garage Door (I think 15ft)
  • 9'8" ceilings at lowest point
  • I will be raising the ceilings about 1-2ft for extra space

Questions for those who have done this:
  • Does anyone have any recommended contacts to relocate my garage door higher?
  • What would be the average cost to have this done? I understand the tracks, spring and cables may need to be changed.
  • Can my regular garage door opener be used if I can have the opener sit higher if it clears the doors and car? or Do I need to use the side mount opener?
  • Has anyone installed their lift on a sloped garage floor? if so what was done to ensure safety? I have approx. 4" slope across the length of the lift size.

As for lifts, I'm looking at either the Bendpack HD-9 (Rev.M) or the Lift super store RestoMod DX 8000. I'm looking at both these models as they can accommodate a 42" min width between the tracks either by factory modification or choosing the wide model. I'm Currently going to look into the Directlifts if they can accommodate my specs.

Thanks guys, for any info/contacts you can provide!

P.S. I have a good relationship with the owner of liftsuperstore and if anyone else is interested in doing a group buy for better pricing, PM me and I can talk to him.

Jason.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:05 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Your location would help as far as an installer.

Go with a Liftmaster 8500 jack shaft opener and you'll love it. Thing of beauty.

This is really a small job for a pro so I'd guess you be a g out the door.

Obviously you'd need to level the 4 post lift, if this can even be done.

I bought my lift from the Liftsuperstore and the installer was a complete joke. The sales guy was all B.S. hoping I'd just go away.

The lift is okay for the price.
Old 08-02-2016, 02:31 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Oops my bad, location is in Milton.
I have been recommended that lift master so I will inquire further.

As for leveling the lift, I was told that If I went with the fixed saftey locks (resromod) it can be installed on slopes with no leveling. But with the adjustable lock ladders (Quattro) it has to be close to level. This can be done apparently with shimming and adjusting the ladders up to 2-2.5"

Either way I would feel more comfortable leveling the lift so I will most likely have this done.

911 red could you PM me who you dealt with at LSS and your experiences with the installer?

J
Old 08-02-2016, 03:37 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a lift installer who is exceptional. He travels the province installing lifts. He installed my BendPak HD9. I can PM you his number if you like.

Cliff
Old 08-02-2016, 03:52 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsun
Oops my bad, location is in Milton.
I have been recommended that lift master so I will inquire further.

As for leveling the lift, I was told that If I went with the fixed saftey locks (resromod) it can be installed on slopes with no leveling. But with the adjustable lock ladders (Quattro) it has to be close to level. This can be done apparently with shimming and adjusting the ladders up to 2-2.5"

Either way I would feel more comfortable leveling the lift so I will most likely have this done.

911 red could you PM me who you dealt with at LSS and your experiences with the installer?

J
I have an adjustable ladder lift on a 2" slope. Lift is adjusted via the adjustable ladders (max 2"). If you go with the welded ladder and level it, how will you get the car on the lift with that extra 4". Some long *** ramps.

Oakville installed one at a friends house, and with the slope it was scary putting the car on jack stands. If you work on your car you will want it to be level when up.

Personally I don't agree with everything Oakville says so after talking to both I went with Direct Lift.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:21 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

My Liftmaster jack shaft opener was installed last Spring, about $1100 IIRC

Haven't pulled the trigger on the 4 post yet but will likely go Direct Lift given all the positive reviews.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:25 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Thanks for the info guys! Keep the comments coming =)

@cliff
if you could please PM me the contact info that would be fantastic! Did you go with the wide HD9?
Old 08-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
I have an adjustable ladder lift on a 2" slope. Lift is adjusted via the adjustable ladders (max 2"). If you go with the welded ladder and level it, how will you get the car on the lift with that extra 4". Some long *** ramps.

Oakville installed one at a friends house, and with the slope it was scary putting the car on jack stands. If you work on your car you will want it to be level when up.

Personally I don't agree with everything Oakville says so after talking to both I went with Direct Lift.
I hear ya man, I'm very skeptical on installing with no leveling kinda why I'm leaning toward the adjustable ladder lifts. This way I can shim and adjust the ladders to compensate. I feel if I have at max 1.5" slope after all the adjustments that should be ok considering 1/8" per foot is normal slope.
Old 08-02-2016, 05:57 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

High lift door kit (rails, brackets & bigger spring ) installed usually around $4-500. Any garage door installer can do it.
Liftmaster 8500 jack shaft opener for sure. ($450 @ Amazon)

Have a look at my thread. (garage ****) to see what I've done.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Jsun
Instructor

@wc11 If you have the contact info for the guy who did the work for your garage track relocation that would be much appreciated! I checked out the Amazon listings for this opener I may go this route.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

I hear ya man, I'm very skeptical on installing with no leveling kinda why I'm leaning toward the adjustable ladder lifts. This way I can shim and adjust the ladders to compensate. I feel if I have at max 1.5" slope after all the adjustments that should be ok considering 1/8" per foot is normal slope.
Your welcome to come and see how an adjustabke ladder lift sits on a 2" slope. And is totally level when up. Cheers
Old 08-02-2016, 09:16 PM
wc11
Race Car

@wc11 If you have the contact info for the guy who did the work for your garage track relocation that would be much appreciated! I checked out the Amazon listings for this opener I may go this route.
I just called the Garaga door installer in my area.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:17 PM
wc11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Pags993
My Liftmaster jack shaft opener was installed last Spring, about $1100 IIRC

Haven't pulled the trigger on the 4 post yet but will likely go Direct Lift given all the positive reviews.
I lifted my DD yesterday.
Oh and installed the Liftmaster myself.
Make sure you have power installed nearby. Most garages have the power in the middle of the ceiling for the old style openers.
And install low pro led lights as well.
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2016, 01:14 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

+1 on the direct lift and the liftmaster jack screw.....had new doors and the jack screw installed by the local dealer and went to buffalo and picked up a 109" wide direct lift and installed myself ......no brainer
Old 08-03-2016, 09:41 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

So what ceiling height are you guys working with?

Quick Reply: 4 POST LIFT - Raising Garage Door