Notices

Trackday Insurance in Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 02:53 PM
max59
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trackday Insurance in Ontario

Now that I am done with the break in period on my GT4 I would like to get it on the track and enjoy it. I have signed up for a track day with Porsche Oakville but had to cancel because I could not get the trackday insurance. Tried contacting Track Day Insurance Canada, left two messages but did not hear back from anybody.
For those of you going to the track regularly, do you insure your cars and if you do, what insurance do you use?
Thanks in advance.
Old 07-19-2016, 09:32 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some markets won't exclude track.
What company are you with now?
Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 PM
max59
Intermediate

I am with Security National and have already checked with them, they do not insure for the track.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:23 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I think it goes like this.

If it is a driving school even on track your covered.since its considered a school.

But s timed even when your racing against the clock you lose the coverage as its considered racing.

Of course poke your nose around and dpuble check. But thats the response i got a few years ago.
Old 07-19-2016, 11:28 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by max59
I am with Security National and have already checked with them, they do not insure for the track.
aka Meloche Monnex? I don't think they have a choice... From what I know, the courts have ruled that you are insured on a track, provided it is not racing, and you aren't timing etc. Aviva lost in the Supreme Court.

here is a link to someone who has posted already on the subject. To the best of my knowledge, this still stands.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...the-track.html
Old 07-20-2016, 12:20 AM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,442 Likes on 621 Posts

It would seem things are different north of the border.
My understanding in the US is that most auto insurance excludes any track driving whether DE or racing.

I used to buy 6 events at a time with www.ontrackinsurance.com. I don't believe Canadian tracks were/are available.

Switched to opentrack. Here's a thread discussing:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...-events-4.html

Haven't had a claim but if you do enough events a year it's economical (for me the break even is 9 events and I typically do significantly more than 9). For a set fee you can drive any track on their list (if they don't have it on the list - call them, they'll add it). To add Canadian tracks was an additional set fee. Not sure how it works if the policy is based in Canada but worth calling to get a quote and understand.

It's a declared value policy with 5% deductible. There may be a minimum value. There is no max value as far as I know. My cost was a little over 4% declared value on my Cayman R. Based on other posts it seems the higher the value of the car, the lower the % cost.

I was able to update the insurance to cover the GT4 at a nominal pro-rated charge based on length of time remaining in the policy. It is an annual policy running a full year from the date of inception.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:00 AM
max59
Intermediate

Thanks for the post link skru_fase, reading the post it almost seems like it's not worth using your insurance at all even if you are covered on the track unless it's a full write-off. When I talked to my insurance I specifically asked about the coverage for an event that is driver education type and still got the answer that it is not covered.
Needmoregarage, thanks for the links, I will check them out and see if they cover Canadian tracks.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:58 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

A claim at a UCR DE has never been denied. And ya, they will all tell you that you are not covered if you ask.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:01 AM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the post link skru_fase, reading the post it almost seems like it's not worth using your insurance at all even if you are covered on the track unless it's a full write-off. When I talked to my insurance I specifically asked about the coverage for an event that is driver education type and still got the answer that it is not covered.
Needmoregarage, thanks for the links, I will check them out and see if they cover Canadian tracks.
Did you call Andrew (trackdayinsurance.ca) at the 416 number at the bottom of their page? I'm surprised they didn't get back to you. You can actually sign up for the coverage on the website without having to talk to anyone - the insurance certificate is emailed to you.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:17 AM
max59
Intermediate

I left a message for Andrew and another lady in their office, did not get a call back. I wanted to actually talk to somebody there and get some details on the coverage especially since this would have been my first time trying something like this.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:39 PM
NOBLEGT3
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Many Brokers and insurers don't understand the difference between lapping and racing. You need to read your policy and make sure they haven't excluded all on track activities not just timed or competition events. Push your broker or insurer to put in writing what is and isn't covered.
Old 07-20-2016, 01:01 PM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Jerod and Ben at www.theopentrack.com are great to deal with. You choose the amount of coverage you need for the entire season and you're covered at any listed track in Canada or the U.S. No headaches, no hassles.

My regular car insurance is with Chubb. If you take your car to a track, they exclude coverage regardless of whether the event is timed.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:35 PM
Jurenda
1st Gear

Now that I am done with the break in period on my GT4 I would like to get it on the track and enjoy it. I have signed up for a track day with Porsche Oakville but had to cancel because I could not get the trackday insurance. Tried contacting Track Day Insurance Canada, left two messages but did not hear back from anybody.
For those of you going to the track regularly, do you insure your cars and if you do, what insurance do you use?
Thanks in advance.
Good Afternoon,
My name is Jurenda and I work with the Track Day Insurance Canada Team. My apologies on the trouble you had connecting with our office. I would be very happy to help you and answer any questions you may have. You can feel free to contact me directly at 647-260-3794 or at info@trackdayinsurance.ca

I look forward to speaking with you.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:03 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by DES GTS
Jerod and Ben at www.theopentrack.com are great to deal with. You choose the amount of coverage you need for the entire season and you're covered at any listed track in Canada or the U.S. No headaches, no hassles.

My regular car insurance is with Chubb. If you take your car to a track, they exclude coverage regardless of whether the event is timed.
Did I see your car at Mosport today?
Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DES GTS

This sounds great if they cover Canadians in Canadian cars. Going to have to look into this some more! An annual HPDE policy would be great cause the per day/event options get ridiculously expensive pretty fast.

Quick Reply: Trackday Insurance in Ontario