Notices

Handheld while driving - money grab?...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:32 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
I think that is harsh and unjustfied. I wouldn't want to be patrolling Jane and Finch at night, or be out at he side of the highway assisting with a breakdown when someone slams into you .

I think its a tough job , just some of us have a harder time swallowing medicine than others. If you feel you have bee wronged that's what the courts are for.
I don't buy it. I could say the same thing about some poor sap that has to work in a convenience store at Jane and Finch. Everyone has ****ty elements to their jobs. There are some nice officers out there I'm sure. But there are lots of power hungry ego-maniacs that don't even live in Toronto - they commute from the 'burbs and think they own the city. And it is easy for them to throw tickets at people because most can't afford the time to take off work to fight in court. So saying the court system is there to help is not realistic. I am finding that officers are less likely to utilize any discretion these days. It is easier for them to just be total dicks! Rant over.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I don't buy it. I could say the same thing about some poor sap that has to work in a convenience store at Jane and Finch. Everyone has ****ty elements to their jobs. There are some nice officers out there I'm sure. But there are lots of power hungry ego-maniacs that don't even live in Toronto - they commute from the 'burbs and think they own the city. And it is easy for them to throw tickets at people because most can't afford the time to take off work to fight in court. So saying the court system is there to help is not realistic. I am finding that officers are less likely to utilize any discretion these days. It is easier for them to just be total dicks! Rant over.
im thinking you got a ticket
Old 05-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

......and he is a lawyer.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 166 Likes on 83 Posts

But there are lots of power hungry ego-maniacs that don't even live in Toronto - they commute from the 'burbs and think they own the city. And it is easy for them to throw tickets at people because most can't afford the time to take off work to fight in court. So saying the court system is there to help is not realistic. I am finding that officers are less likely to utilize any discretion these days. It is easier for them to just be total dicks! Rant over.
A very good friend who is a Crown Att in Ontario has the exact same view as Moab and frankly so do I.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:29 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Texts, call & emails are time stamped so your phone records will have it all logged.
Again my question is can you do these things if you have a mount for your phone?
Old 05-26-2016, 02:39 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

I'm afraid to even look at my phone while I'm driving now days. If I do, once in a blue Moon, I'm well aware that if I get caught, it will be time to pay!!! The law is pretty clear that you are not allowed to have a hand held device while operating a vehicle (this includes stopped at a red light or idling at the curb) so why not just follow it? I know people that kick and scream that this is total BS but and partially I agree but just follow the law and all will be well. You want to fight it, go ahead but even if you win (chances are slim since you wife is a witness that you had the phone in your hand), all the effort, aggravation and wasted time just to fight "the man".

My VW had a gauge cluster that has two reset pins that are perfect to set the phone on if I need to use the GPS. otherwise, it is put in the center cup holder, facing the passenger.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:40 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Again my question is can you do these things if you have a mount for your phone?
No because the distracted driving law will get you if you are in a collision. BUT at least you won't get a ticket for a hand held device. Technically the distracted driving law would cover the hand held devices but they made a separate one to make it easier for the police to enforce it.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:42 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
im thinking you got a ticket
I "may" have recently received a ticket for 72 in a 50 and then got busted for my "no front plate". Paid the second ticket but am fighting the first

Officer was quite belligerent. Now I have to skip work for 1/2 a day to first meet with the crown attorney. Then potentially go to trial. A waste of everyone's time. Going 72 KMH on Lawrence Avenue West just as I got off the Allen Expressway at 9:30 p.m. shouldn't warrant this kind of nonsense...
Old 05-26-2016, 02:47 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bacura
......and he is a lawyer.
I'm just a paper pusher. I don't really know the law.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

I "may" have recently received a ticket for 72 in a 50 and then got busted for my "no front plate". Paid the second ticket but am fighting the first

Officer was quite belligerent. Now I have to skip work for 1/2 a day to first meet with the crown attorney. Then potentially go to trial. A waste of everyone's time. Going 72 KMH on Lawrence Avenue West just as I got off the Allen Expressway at 9:30 p.m. shouldn't warrant this kind of nonsense...
I have had good luck visiting the prosecutor

hope things work out for you.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:09 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am confused. If you were going 72 in 50 zone, what is your argument for getting off? Is there a higher tolerance at certain times of the day?
Old 05-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
I am confused. If you were going 72 in 50 zone, what is your argument for getting off? Is there a higher tolerance at certain times of the day?
I understand your sentiment but I suspect that the 50 zone is ridiculously low for the type of road and quantity of hazards present - I see this a lot

Of course this is pure speculation on my part as I have no idea what this road is like

I spent some time with an academic who had studied this phenomenon - he said that these exceedingly low speed restrictions are totally pointless - studies show that traffic will flow at a natural speed for the conditions present and this model works better.

In turn this makes the cynic in me think its largely a money grab.....
Old 05-26-2016, 04:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Not necessarily a money grab. Many times it's a side effect of lower the speed limit below what the road is designed for. This usually happens because people bitch and complain that they think a lower speed limit will fix the problem they think exists. So then the Councillor pushes it through and the speed limit goes down. All this does is turns law obeying citizens into criminals. AND those that originally bitched and complained end up getting the tickets.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:39 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee1997
haven't done full research yet on the issue, but will likely explore the following:

1. how he targeted my car since I have no front plate to focus on with his radar.
2. will ask usual questions about when the radar was last calibrated and will request records on the specific unit he was using
3. it was pitch black and my car is all blacked out so along the lines of #1 above, how he was able to know for certain he got my car
4. will ask about his training with the individual radar
5. will point to my impeccable driving record and say as a result of 1-4 above, unlikely I was speeding (I don't actually think I was...)

As I get closer to the date, I'll do some more research and of course, I will be my usual charming self with the crown
Old 05-26-2016, 05:04 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You don't need a front plate to get picked off by radar/laser. Both are used in Quebec. Do you know how many cars were near you? If you were the only car coming with lights on at night what does a black colour have to do with it? Just asking.

Quick Reply: Handheld while driving - money grab?...