Notices

Got rear ended.. Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2016, 01:04 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by zak996
gsxr_fvr... are you saying the police Collision Reporting Centre didn't take the report? They are the ones who do the accident reports, not a division police station. Theres 2 of these.. one in north york and one in scarborough.
If the damage appears to be less than $2000 you are not require to go to the police reporting center nor will they file a report. Unless it is a hit n run or the offender will not give you their information then you should call 911 and report it immediately that you were hit , give them the license of the offender as it is deemed a hit n run as they are not giving you their required info. If you are in your vehicle when this happens it is even more serious. As you may have sustained injuries that are not immediately apparent.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:33 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
If the damage appears to be less than $2000 you are not require to go to the police reporting center nor will they file a report. Unless it is a hit n run or the offender will not give you their information then you should call 911 and report it immediately that you were hit , give them the license of the offender as it is deemed a hit n run as they are not giving you their required info. If you are in your vehicle when this happens it is even more serious. As you may have sustained injuries that are not immediately apparent.
So whether you are in the car or not, if they won't/don't leave their info, report a hit and run?
Old 05-15-2016, 04:13 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
So whether you are in the car or not, if they won't/don't leave their info, report a hit and run?
Yes. Copy the plate number down and call 911 with the info. Anyone refusing to provide info could be hiding many things, no insurance or even a stolen car. Just because they stop and may or may not argue and then drive away without providing information can still be considered a hit and run as they haven't completed their responsibilities when involved in an accident - no matter how minor.

Here is the latest scam.

Driver A 'brake tests' driver B. Contact is minor - paint scratch. Driver A suggests a cash payment of $500 dollars and no insurance process. Driver B has had one claim and not wanting another - agrees.

Less then 1 year later... Driver B is served with a 1 million dollar claim by Driver A whom is claiming all sorts of medical issues. Driver B is in a world of hurt now as he did not report this accident and under his policy will not be covered or represented in court for this action unless his insurance company agrees - and many wont. Driver A and his scum bag law firm know he has no where near $1M and offer an out of court settlement of $50K if they settle right on the spot. The guy next door to me had to get a personal loan for $50K...

Never fall for these scam drivers and always report the accident no matter how minor.

The OP may have come across one of the many gangs and individuals operating in the GTA here - so wait for the knock on the door and papers handed to you. The OP has done everything correct so far so he will be protected by his company if this (litigation) occurs but I would be going through the civilian complaints review process with Metro Police RIGHT NOW concerning this officer. Do NOT wait.

To the OP: Your best defense is an offense here. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/profe.../complaint.php
Old 05-15-2016, 04:30 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Some good advice here. Always go to the reporting center. Even if you report it at the reporting center it doesn't mean you have to call your insurance company. I've done it and nothing happened.
Sadly thanks to some scammers a dash cam is a good idea.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:49 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The point I'm taking away from this thread is that if you go to a station and offer to file a report, which is declined, get the name of the desk officer and note the date and time that you offered to file.

In any event, the OP can corroborate that he tried to report.

Last edited by Rinty; 05-17-2016 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:42 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Here is the latest scam.

Driver A 'brake tests' driver B. Contact is minor - paint scratch. Driver A suggests a cash payment of $500 dollars and no insurance process. Driver B has had one claim and not wanting another - agrees.
Over the years my parents have been on both side of this scenario when they either caused or were hit, we made sure to have a document drafted up and signed by both parties basically says both parties are free and clear after the cash payment, so as to best avoid any follow up claims.

I would be going through the civilian complaints review process with Metro Police RIGHT NOW concerning this officer. Do NOT wait.

To the OP: Your best defense is an offense here. http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/profe.../complaint.php
I agree 100%, something smells with how this TPS Constable has conducted the telephone call with OP, once again OP needs to establish a timeline of proper and proactive actions on his part should this incident starts to spiral downwards.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:58 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Another personal experience many years ago.

An old Camaro in front of me lost its' driveshaft going at 120 kph, pieces of metal flying everywhere, I dodged most but not one hit the underside of my car.

The driver could not produce current insurance but said don't call the cops, he will pay for my repair, I took down his phone number, driver's license info and made sure photo matched his face. However I decided to stop at OPP Downsview to make a report anyway.

Send the repair quote to the driver, who didn't respond, and was never home (at his parents house) when I called multiple times.

This lasted over a month before I called the OPP Constable who took my statement and explained the situation, he agreed to make a call on my behalf. This was 2 am Sunday morning, imagine what the parents first thought when OPP calls Sunday morning about their son who's not back home yet!!

The OPP Constable chuckled when he called me back that the parents will have a chat with their son about the incident, asked me to call him if it still wasn't resolved in a week.

I didn't have to, as the cheque for the repair came in the mail promptly.

So, yes, ALWAYS make a report, it can't hurt.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:46 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 573 Likes on 342 Posts

win for the good guys

Originally Posted by aviography
Another personal experience many years ago.

An old Camaro in front of me lost its' driveshaft going at 120 kph, pieces of metal flying everywhere, I dodged most but not one hit the underside of my car.

The driver could not produce current insurance but said don't call the cops, he will pay for my repair, I took down his phone number, driver's license info and made sure photo matched his face. However I decided to stop at OPP Downsview to make a report anyway.

Send the repair quote to the driver, who didn't respond, and was never home (at his parents house) when I called multiple times.

This lasted over a month before I called the OPP Constable who took my statement and explained the situation, he agreed to make a call on my behalf. This was 2 am Sunday morning, imagine what the parents first thought when OPP calls Sunday morning about their son who's not back home yet!!

The OPP Constable chuckled when he called me back that the parents will have a chat with their son about the incident, asked me to call him if it still wasn't resolved in a week.

I didn't have to, as the cheque for the repair came in the mail promptly.

So, yes, ALWAYS make a report, it can't hurt.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:18 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

No good deed goes unpunished.
I always try and go to the reporting center.
Whenever someone hits me, or I hit them.
Full video at the scene. Photo's of everyone, car, plates, damage, ownership, insurance.
I don't trust anyone.
I will charge my Dashcam tonight.
For those too cheap to buy a Dashcam. There all lots of free apps.

Here is my Ghetto cam. Need one out back too.
Attached Images  
Old 05-16-2016, 11:48 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Looks to me that you did everything right and your insurance company should now pick up the ball and take care of this.
Old 05-16-2016, 01:05 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Where did this happen? Road , parking lot?

It is bs that you fled the scene as you managed to get the insurance info from the other driver and you filed the claim.

The officer is telling you a misleading story if that's what he told you.

I would be on the phone with my insurance and get irate with them. We pay a lot for insurance and they know when things don't add up, or at least you have to speak to someone higher up who has a brain that actually works. I just keep asking for their supervisor until I get someone who actually knows what they are talking about
Old 05-16-2016, 02:50 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Get a hold of the calling officer's superior and tell them what he did on the phone.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:30 PM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks guys for alot of great suggestion & comments. So here's the latest. So this constable called & tried telling me that i'd be charged with hit & run..to which I responded. 1. I was able to call Rogers & get a call log clearly showing a 4 minute phone call made from my cell to peel police from the scene on accident. Same time stamped as the on pictures provided to insurance. 2. In fact I did try to Report the accident but they wouldn't take down a report as damage seemed less than $1000 in parts . (Ended up being $686 in parts & $1900 labour) 2. I called insurance the following morning & provided everyone's details & pictures...claimed started my car was fixed within a week & claim closed. When I asked the following questions... 1. Why did it take insurance 2 weeks to track down this party after the claim was filed. 2 Why did they file a police report 3 weeks after the accident date 3. If I was able to "hit & run" then how come the other party didn't report my plates right away.. 4. How come other party isn't able to present any pictures or any evidence for that matter. I have over 20 pictures from every possible angle. We were in a parking lot for 40 mins atleast Then awkward 2 min silence... Then he says based on the pics your car had very minor damage then why not settle outside insurance. To that i mentioned that my vehicle is 2017 Mercedes SUV with 2500 kms only, & theirs was a commercial truck. I pay alot for my car & even a higher premium for the insurance & I much prefer everything repaired to a certain standard otherwise id be stuck with lease end bills. He clearly didn't like the sound of that either.....& said I hope you know this call is recorded & if I am not telling the truth this could be held against me... Am I seriously missing something here??? Why is he fighting me on this.....
Old 05-16-2016, 03:46 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

This is absolutely awesome. I hope the call was recorded and hopefully you did too. Note the time and date the call was so you can reference it.
He is abusing his position and should be accountable. He is in no position to recommend how the claim is to be settled. Get his badge number and report him. I think you are spot on as a possible family connection. It is now becoming harassment
I'm beginning to think this guy is not a police officer

Last edited by docdrs; 05-16-2016 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 03:55 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

O/P - He (the cop) called you? How do you know where he is calling you from?
If the CRA calls your house asking for a VISA card number to pay your taxes? ....

Quick Reply: Got rear ended.. Need help!