Notices

small claims lawyer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 01:39 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default small claims lawyer?

Does anyone here deal with small claims court and/or small business matters. If so I'd like to chat if you could pm me. I have a client taking a run at me. Thx
Old 05-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm not a lawyer, but I've been to SCC many times (though only as a plaintiff). Just make sure you file a defence within the allotted time then see what progresses from there. You probably don't need a lawyer, and if it's a shaky claim, they might decide not to proceed. It's very common for a defendant to ignore the claim, not file a defence, and then have a default judgment registered against them. That might be what they're hoping for.
Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I'm not a lawyer, but I've been to SCC many times (though only as a plaintiff). Just make sure you file a defence within the allotted time then see what progresses from there. You probably don't need a lawyer, and if it's a shaky claim, they might decide not to proceed. It's very common for a defendant to ignore the claim, not file a defence, and then have a default judgment registered against them. That might be what they're hoping for.
+1. Not a lawyer either but I've been a plaintiff half a dozen times and this is usually really easy to deal with on your own. There is a pre-trial hearing where a judge or senior lawyer mediates a solution during an informal meeting. Takes all the fun of playing Perry Mason out of it but... He/she will get the "likely to loose" candidate on their own and read them the riot act. Even after all of this, you can choose to have your day in court.
Old 05-14-2016, 08:47 AM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok. Thx I'll dig into this more
Old 05-15-2016, 04:56 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see Ontario has small claims court agents. Your lawyer may be able to refer you to a good one.

Quick Reply: small claims lawyer?