Notices

OT: Cheap Data Plan for the UK

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 12:16 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question OT: Cheap Data Plan for the UK

Anyone travel to the UK can recommend a cheap or reasonable data plan for the UK. Daughter doing the back pack thing with friends and I would like her to have a data plan for WhatsApp.

Thanks for your input.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

O2,3 or Vodaphone prepaid sims. You can buy from from vending machines at LHR or any phone retailer.

I have a 3 sim card for European travel, My unlimited data 3/4G is around 20euro or GBP
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Do you know for Prepaid, if they sell Nano SIMs for iPhone or just regular SIMs?
Old 05-13-2016, 07:13 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Roam Like Home with Rogers works well. My daughter is in Japan and China for work for the next 2 months and that's what we're using. It's $10 a day to a max billing of 10 days or $100 per month and she uses her phone like she's in Canada including unlimited texts and calls to/from Canada and shares my 10GB data. we can call each other anytime with no additional charges.
We've done the prepaid cards in Europe and Asia and the problem is: 1- you have to have an unlocked phone, 2- you're not accessible with your Canadian phone # while using those cards. 3- some have a set up fee + the plan fee + unlocking fee (if needed) and depending on how long you're away, it might cost you more.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:11 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Lue
Do you know for Prepaid, if they sell Nano SIMs for iPhone or just regular SIMs?
All sims are sold

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Roam Like Home with Rogers works well. My daughter is in Japan and China for work for the next 2 months and that's what we're using. It's $10 a day to a max billing of 10 days or $100 per month and she uses her phone like she's in Canada including unlimited texts and calls to/from Canada and shares my 10GB data. we can call each other anytime with no additional charges.
We've done the prepaid cards in Europe and Asia and the problem is: 1- you have to have an unlocked phone, 2- you're not accessible with your Canadian phone # while using those cards. 3- some have a set up fee + the plan fee + unlocking fee (if needed) and depending on how long you're away, it might cost you more.
I'm with Telus and wasn't impressed with what they had to offer.. I have a OnePlus One which is unlocked, I don't believe in buying carrier locked phones. Hong Kong was by the far the cheapest prepaid sim I've bought at around 13$ CDN. Most I've paid was I think 15GBP, last year in Ireland I bought a simcard from 3 which included unlimted data for 20 euros. I mainly use WeChat but also Whatsapp or facebook messenger. I can always be reached!
Old 05-14-2016, 10:46 PM
Sniffer
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From memory this (Giff Gaff) is one of the leading lights for PAYG in the UK (I lived there until 2 1/2 years ago), particularly on the data front, things may have moved on since but a quick look suggests their prices are pretty reasonable and all SIM sizes are available.

They run off the O2 network which was the best overall in my experience

I imagine you could have the card sent here before she leaves, means you're ready to hit the ground running once there. I did exactly that but in reverse (got a Canadian SIM before leaving the UK and it was a great move - I would have been lost without data for navigation apps etc)

Edit - this may be of interest - clicky

Last edited by Sniffer; 05-15-2016 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 11:02 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for your help, my daughter is taking the red eye on Tuesday, I have forwarded all your suggestions.
Old 05-22-2016, 04:41 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Thanks again, the O2 solution working very good and is surprisingly very reasonable.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Ahh time to bump an old thread. I was just in the UK here are your options for SIMs

EE- 14gb Data 3G for 20 GBP
Three- 12 GB 4G data 20 GBP with 300 mins calling and 3000 text
O2, Vodaphone are very pricey but better networks.

I purchased a new sim here are my observations all simcards sold at SimLocal at LHR are 10-15GBP more than purchasing one in town from either the store or a 3rd party vendor. My flight from YYZ arrived at 9pm and waited until I got into Kings Cross to purchase a simcard from a vendor there for 20GBP.. The 15GBP premium that SimLocal was charging was laughable. Mind you they have a store front setup now just before the tube entrance from T2 and T3.

The minutes came in handy and so did the data for navi although my rental did have it. The only real issue as at times I found the service spotty indoors or while my GF was tethered to my phone.

Quick Reply: OT: Cheap Data Plan for the UK