Notices

Are asking prices for GT3RS/GT4 etc crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 07:17 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Are asking prices for GT3RS/GT4 etc crazy?

https://grrc.goodwood.com/columnists...HWdccsGqDb7.97

Very sensible article from Harry Metcalfe on the current frenzy on Porsche pricing. Personally I would not pay some of the crazy money being asked today and I would expect it to ease back.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:32 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe but there is currently a Carrera GT with 6K km in the Pfaff showroom.....asking 1.25 million.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:52 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I think Harry is spot on. I'm worried that this is going to cause Porsche dealerships to start playing the games most Ferrari dealers do with their allocations.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:27 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts
Default prices

but check this out.......

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6888/overview/

Old 03-28-2016, 08:41 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shizzle
I think Harry is spot on. I'm worried that this is going to cause Porsche dealerships to start playing the games most Ferrari dealers do with their allocations.
you mean selling above the listing price?

Because if a P-Dealership does that the buyer should contact Porsche because they condemn that.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:44 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Ronan thank you for sharing that article, I a few days ago I was looking at the auto trader and I thought in sharing the crazyness of some asking prices.

just look at this prices:

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=1_15_157

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=3_15_157

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=5_15_157

http://www.autotrader.ca/a/Porsche/9...&orup=2_15_157
Old 03-28-2016, 08:46 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Its crazy money alright but what I find rather obscene is that wealthy guys already on "the list" just keep flipping the cars and therefore remain on the list till the next time they have a chance to get wealthier. I know that's the way it works but I don't have to like it. I know this also doesn't apply to some guys but it seems to be more common then not

Enthusiast have virtually no way to experience these cars (even if they could afford it)
Old 03-28-2016, 08:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlEightySix

Because if a P-Dealership does that the buyer should contact Porsche because they condemn that.
I was told it is contrary to their franchise agreement to sell new cars above list however a Carrera GT is used so they can ask whatever they want.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:48 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
The only way that car could be worth that much, is if it came with a $700,000 cheque in the glove box.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:51 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CarlEightySix

At least in my experience, Pfaff and Oakville both honour their allocations in order of deposits with no other strings, so no complaints there. With Ferrari, they play favourites with customers, prioritize based on the amount of extra options you're willing to buy, or what other cars you're willing to buy to get certain allocations. Ferrari still sells their new cars at MSRP, but with a whole bunch of conditions attached. We've already started down that path ever so slightly with the 918 VIP program. But I can easily see the day where you need to buy a Turbo S in order to get an RS allocation of the same gen.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:08 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 132 Likes on 61 Posts

In Europe dealers are not allowed to charge over MSRP. If I as a customer buy and flip, my relationship and chance to get another hard to get Porsche would likely be over.

We will see a correction in 991RS prices over the next 12 months. Hard to know how big demand there is when so many cars are used as gambling cards.
A good way to find out is to make a couple 100 2017s.
That will likely free up some of those sitting on RS that don't sell at the moment.

So many gt4s for sale. Combination of people ordering a second car with LWBS and those that bought because it was a no brainier. Couldn't loose money on it. Some probably even bought in hopes to make money on it.

Someone started a thread in the gt4 forum today trying to help his friend sell his gt4. He was afraid his buddy was going to loose money on his car purchase.
Made me laugh and think about how crazy this has become.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:19 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Originally Posted by shizzle
At least in my experience, Pfaff and Oakville both honour their allocations in order of deposits with no other strings, so no complaints there. With Ferrari, they play favourites with customers, prioritize based on the amount of extra options you're willing to buy, or what other cars you're willing to buy to get certain allocations. Ferrari still sells their new cars at MSRP, but with a whole bunch of conditions attached. We've already started down that path ever so slightly with the 918 VIP program. But I can easily see the day where you need to buy a Turbo S in order to get an RS allocation of the same gen.

I understand the 918 VIP program a customer that spends 1 million dollar in just one car kinda deserves a special treatment.
Old 03-28-2016, 09:59 PM
DRPM
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anyone explain to me why Porsche still has the RS configurator working on their website when they are supposedly no longer available ?
Old 03-28-2016, 11:15 PM
CarlEightySix
Racer

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I was told it is contrary to their franchise agreement to sell new cars above list however a Carrera GT is used so they can ask whatever they want.
I didn't know it was explicit in the contract, thank you for the info.

Originally Posted by vern1
Its crazy money alright but what I find rather obscene is that wealthy guys already on "the list" just keep flipping the cars and therefore remain on the list till the next time they have a chance to get wealthier. I know that's the way it works but I don't have to like it. I know this also doesn't apply to some guys but it seems to be more common then not

Enthusiast have virtually no way to experience these cars (even if they could afford it)
True, 3 years ago I saw a 997.1 GT3 for sale for 70k it had at the time 30k kms, fair price for the model and milage and I though I can get one of these in the upcoming years, I wrong was I.

I "hate" guys that buy cars has an investment to park in a garage and barely drive the car hoping to make big bucks with the car, a car is meant to be driven and have fun with it.
Old 03-28-2016, 11:33 PM
bronson7
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All these inflated prices will no doubt settle down. It's like comparing to buying stock at it's peak.

Quick Reply: Are asking prices for GT3RS/GT4 etc crazy?