Notices

Opinions on 0w-30 oil

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 03:41 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

^ from what I remember re their lineup it's the only one they offer in Canada in that grade. A 0W40 is not even offered in their top line extended performance series.

Also on sale now at Part Source & Cdn Tire IIRC
Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 522 Likes on 391 Posts

did you guys here this one?
Attached Images  
Old 10-17-2015, 10:00 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

I just use Liqui Moly products in my cars. Problem solved and I get a 5L Jug for 35$. Well that's a lie, I used Total 5w40 in my Volvo today because the Liqui Moly dealer was closed.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:17 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Actually - Mobil 1's Extended Performance "top line" oil is at best average, and I personally wouldn't touch it as there are many better alternatives. All M1 EP viscosities from the 0W-20 to the 10W-30 contain some group III base stocks, with little more detergents and LOT more marketing hype than the corresponding "regular" Mobil 1 oils - which, for the most part, are also mediocre at best. The 0W-40 however, is a pure synthetic, with a very decent additive package that makes it a great all-around oil for those of us that drive performance cars in our Canadian winters. As I said earlier, I am not a fan of Mobil 1 oils in general - only the M1 0W-40. The rest of them are average at best. All of the M1 0W-40 UOAs I've seen show an excellent TBN with a linear drop-off, the 1.3% ash does a very good job of controlling acidity (not very catalyst friendly but engines a lot more expensive to replace), and both the cold and hot viscosities are excellent to begin with and linearly degrade over time.

The 0W-40 is synthesized in one of two labs (one in France and the other in Texas). I would need one of my colleagues to run the individual batch numbers to find out which lab a specific shipment came from, although the current M1 0W-40 formulations - and these change a lot more often than the average person thinks - are now fairly similar across North America, so you'd get a decent oil regardless of where it came from. IIRC the difference between the two was that the base stocks from the lab in France had a higher proportion of group V esters, specifically POEs (polyol esters) that exhibit better thermal stability and are less prone to oxidation and hydrolysis than other types of esters used in motor oils and group IV PAOs.

Just for the record - it helps to keep things in perspective here. I am talking about differences of, say, 3% to 5%, which are largely insignificant for 99.9% of the population. If it has Porsche A40 approval (not the "made to be used in engines requiring... / comaptible with..." marketing bull) and is of the proper viscosity, you are not going to go wrong with whichever oil you choose. In a street-driven vehicle, changing it at shorter intervals is much more beneficial than having a better oil.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

What I don't understand is the pricing point at CT or Wal Mart.. It's just overpriced. My local BMW dealers sells a litre of 5w30 oil for 6.83$...

Yesterday I bought a 5L jug of Total QUARTZ MC3 5w40 that cost me 33$... A 5L jug of Castrol or M1 at WalMart is well over 50$ if not more.
Old 10-18-2015, 11:53 PM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

928gt is spot on!

I have no clue whats up with CT pricing.Its ridiculously high and clearly only worth it when the oil is on sale(which to be fair they regularly cycle through)

Quick Reply: Opinions on 0w-30 oil