Notices

"how it is done" in the US.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 11:06 AM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is without a doubt the biggest news story of the year. Larger than the “no rate cut from the Fed”, or the ISIS issue within Syria.

The global elites are spinning this story in such a simplistic and casual fashion via the newspaper and TV outlets that it raises a lot of red flags. Nowhere in the western media other than a few alternative media websites is there an ounce of integrity. At the moment, they are programming us not to think, and avoid the real issues behind the government lassoing of Volkswagen.

Here are my 3 reasons why Volkswagen got busted:

1. They produced the world's most fuel efficient cars, and when the XL1 hit production, represented a huge threat to the climate change scam. Think about it - if all of a sudden fuel economy increased even 5x, (rather than the 10X the XL1 did) it would destroy the entire notion of us destroying the planet by driving.

Consider this: The biggest threat the climate hoaxers claim is CO2. Volkswagen cut that in half with the TDI, in part by breaking the emission system rules that would make it impossible to do if followed. Volkswagen proved the emission standards and systems are a scam that is feeding the climate change hoax. How would a powerful elite climate hoaxer respond to being exposed?

2. They were about to release an electric car, at full production levels, that would destroy the Tesla with a cheaper price, better range, and lower operating cost. Additionally, they evidently had a way to do a 15 minute full charge and an infrastructure plan to deliver it. That would cost what? $15 - 20 billion to do, approximately the amount of that fine? BINGO: Volkswagen was about to invest $22 billion Euros into electric car manufacturing in China! That's way too close to the amount of that fine! DING DING DING!
Now all the news reports are saying how much the scandal benefited the electric car future, but if Volkswagen gets bashed into oblivion the moment they were about to bring it forward, what does that really say? MORE CO2 FOR EVERYONE, CARBON TAX PLEASE!

3. Volkswagon & Germany just opened a new 1.6L engine plant in Kaluga, Russia that will produce about 150,000 engines. In the last several years, Russian’s intervention to prevent US military attacks on Iran and Syria has resulted in the demonization of Russia and its president, Vladimir Putin. And it appears that the Germans have crossed the line (that is building economic ties with Russia and China). Washington wants to send a message to all industrial captains and government leaders around the world, that trading is to be done with the US dollar and not to stray from this path. If you haven’t been paying attention, the Western World is in decline, and the fascist business model coming out of Washington is on corporate attack mode.

Washington wants everyone to be a slave on one knee!
Old 09-30-2015, 12:22 PM
PPo
Drifting

Maybe VW could bail out Greece and create a free 10 year vacation spot for all who bought/own an offending VW diesel...

I dunno... I would like to see the VW "fines" be put to good use. Assuming that the governments will squander the money on disagreeable foreign policy enforcement.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:27 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Jeezus man, you're tearing it up on here !

Politics, sex, elites, climate change scammers, elite climate hoaxers, powerful elite climate hoaxers!! German/Russian/US conspiracies!! slaves!!! you got it all goin on

You should pay your $15 so you can hit the OT P&C forum - they'd love you over there
Old 10-01-2015, 11:42 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
You should pay your $15 so you can hit the OT P&C forum - they'd love you over there
+1
Old 10-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Donster
Pro

Obama, Putin, General Motors, Volkswagen and the climate hoaxers are conspiring to take my guns away.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:30 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by Donster
Obama, Putin, General Motors, Volkswagen and the climate hoaxers are conspiring to take my guns away.

You have been to OT haven't you?
Old 10-02-2015, 10:30 AM
molson cdn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Donster
Your a very funny guy Dunster, that's why I'm going to kill you last.

That me be how they do things in BC, but here in fascist Ontario, we hand are guns over to Tinker Bell and Cinderella.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by molson cdn

That me be how they do things in BC, but here in fascist Ontario, we hand are guns over to Tinker Bell and Cinderella.
gun laws in Ontario are actually pretty reasonable.
Old 10-02-2015, 01:11 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you conrad black?
Old 10-02-2015, 04:14 PM
vern1
Drifting

I see you membered-up so have you visited the Vortex of Insanity yet (aka OT P&C).

If you're feeling too good about the world, then just pop over there so you can destroy your faith in mankind!
Old 10-02-2015, 09:28 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

First was Ashley Madison then VW.....what's next???? Trump as president?
Old 10-03-2015, 01:48 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

See any problem with this? I do. Why are they pouncing on VW so hard?
Because they are German and because they are the largest auto manufacturer.

As for cheating, VW is slow to the game.

Volkswagen only the latest in list of car, truck makers caught cheating with 'defeat devices'
By Michael Biesecker, The Associated Press | The Canadian Press – Tue, 29 Sep, 2015 5:44 PM EDT

WASHINGTON - In stock car racing, there's an old adage: If you ain't cheatin', you ain't tryin'. You could say the same sometimes for auto makers up against stricter environmental rules.

Volkswagen is far from the first company to stand accused of trying to game required emissions tests. Almost since the passage of the Clean Air Act in 1970, major manufacturers of cars, trucks and heavy equipment have been busted for using what regulators call "defeat devices" — typically programing a vehicle's on-board computer to boost horsepower or fuel mileage by belching out dirtier exhaust than allowed.

Critics blame a federal regulatory system that largely relies on manufacturers to "self-certify" that their vehicles meet required fuel economy and emissions standards. The Environmental Protection Agency spot-checks only a low percentage of the vehicles made in the U.S. or imported to test the accuracy of the data reported by manufacturers.

Donald Stedman, a University of Denver chemistry professor who specializes in testing the real-world emissions of cars and trucks, said the economics of the auto industry can make it profitable to cheat. Complying with clean air regulations can add thousands of dollars to a vehicle's sticker price while diminishing the driving performance that customers demand.

"Every car company has an incentive to do this," Stedman said. "Some of them get caught."

Revelations this month that Volkswagen used sophisticated software on its "Clean Diesel" models to beat emissions tests has rattled the auto industry and angered hundreds of thousands of customers who thought they bought environmentally friendly vehicles. Both state and federal investigations are under way and congressional hearings are planned.

Over the years, several major auto manufacturers — including GM, Ford, Honda and, yes, Volkswagen — have been forced to pay hefty fines and recall vehicles after getting caught using defeat devices.

General Motors agreed to spend $45 million as part of a settlement with government regulators over defeat devices installed in Cadillacs sold between 1991 and 1995. According to EPA, the cars' computers were programed to enrich the vehicle's fuel mixture when the climate control system was turned on, increasing carbon monoxide emissions to as much as three times the legal limit.

GM agreed to a $25 million recall program to fix the emissions and agreed to pay $11 million in civil fines.

In 1998, Ford agreed to spend $7.8 million on fines and fixes after defeat devices were installed in about 60,000 of the company's Econoline vans. What EPA described as Ford's "sophisticated electronic control strategy" was designed to improve the thirsty van's fuel economy at highway speeds, but also increased smog-causing nitrogen oxide emissions to well beyond the law's limits. Ford agreed to voluntarily stop the sale of the vans and implemented a recall.

During the same period, Honda agreed to $267 million in recall costs and fines to settle allegations it disabled a misfire monitoring device on 1.6 million Accords, Civics, Preludes, Odysseys and Acuras built between 1995 and 1997. Because of the disabled device, malfunction indicator lights intended to indicate poor engine performance wouldn't come on.

Unaware their cars needed to be serviced, vehicle owners continued driving, damaging their exhaust systems and releasing more pollution. As part of its settlement with federal officials, Honda agreed to extend warranties for all the affected models, as well as provide free oil changes and tuneups.

Also in 1998, EPA referred cases to the U.S. Justice Department against seven major manufacturers of heavy-duty diesel engines used in big trucks and earth-moving equipment after testing showed they used computer programing to pass emissions tests, then shift in actual use to reduce fuel consumption while pumping out prohibited levels of nitrogen oxide.

In what was then the largest environmental enforcement case in U.S. history, companies including industry leaders Caterpillar Inc., Cummins Engine Co., Mack Trucks and Volvo Truck Corp. agreed to pay $83.4 million in fines and reprogram the computers.

Even before cars and trucks began to rely on computer software to run their engines and exhaust systems in the 1980s, there were analog defeat devices.

In 1973, VW was dinged by the EPA after it was discovered the company had installed temperature-sensitive switches that turned off emissions controls on about 25,000 Fastback, Squareback and bus models. The company agreed to remove the devices and eventually settled with the Justice Department, paying a $120,000 penalty.

That's pocket change compared to what the company could be facing this time. The Clean Air Act allows for fines of up to $37,500 for each of the 482,000 suspect VWs sold in the United States, potentially totalling more than $18 billion.

___

Science Writer Seth Borenstein in Washington contributed to this report.
Old 10-03-2015, 01:59 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

They produced the world's most fuel efficient cars.
You know how car manufacturers have to meet a certain efficiency averaged over their car line by certain dates.

That brings me to the GM Chevy Cruze Diesel which of course would help those numbers. But what is the point if none are being sold; I haven't seen any on the road.

I'd also like to see what numbers the Cruze diesel is putting out the exhaust pipe.

Washington wants everyone to be a slave on one knee!
Global powers do not have (real) allies. They have "interests and agendas".
Old 10-03-2015, 02:29 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Alex, Cruze #'s will be substantially better because of the use of Urea (DEF) vs the TDI's. VW bet on EGR technology early on and lost then covered up with software. If they had adopted urea systems early on like everyone else they would have been fine but it would have been costly given the volume they sell worldwide.

In the Class 8 truck world International tried the same thing using EGR to avoid using DEF. BUT... they were honest with the EPA and bought credits while they tried to get the NOX #s within spec. They ultimately failed, EPA said enough and they were finally forced to adopt urea like everyone else.

VW tried to pull a fast one and got nailed. Sit back and watch the fines, recall costs, PR rebuild and civil suit $ pile sky high. I have read several reports that have stated that the BP spill costs incurred will be child's play compared to this total and let's not forget the beating the stock value has taken to date as well.

Last edited by Pags993; 10-03-2015 at 05:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2015, 03:27 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pags993
Alex, Cruze #'s will be substantially better because of the use of Urea (DEF) vs the TDI's.
Mark, I noticed that the new VWs have a DEF fill cap next to the fuel cap in the new models. I think the 2015 VW Golf has that.

In any case, I am really enjoying my TDI. So far it has been the most enjoyable daily driver that I have had.

Quick Reply: "how it is done" in the US.