New car opinion- BMW M or Porsche for Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 09:22 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
I agree with the lease.

I don't see the point in keeping new 911s as the service costs will become astronomically high as technology becomes increasingly more complex. I feel this is the same for really any car..
Indeed. New cars are just not worth keeping. The 997 GT3 series was perhaps the last... time will tell on the 991.1 GT3... but im doubtful.

New, Low production supercars are appreciating on the short term, but not sure what the future will hold for them either.

Takes a really special car today that is worth holding onto for tomorrow. Rare however.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:33 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Wow.
Maybe we should start a new Rennlist forum for us poor guys.
Actually I'd have to have money falling out of my pockets to buy (or lease) any car that depreciated $1,000's of dollars every month.
It's just a car ......
I hear you loud and clear.

Basically, if you buy or lease something for 3 years it will depreicate. How much is really irrelevant. You are paying for transportation which will always have a cost to it. In the case of a motor vehicle it depreciates with wear and tear.

What one buys or leases from new is something budgeted with their income and lifestyle. Some will do a Kia, others will do a domesitc while those with a little more will do a luxury product such as a porsche.

In the case of a porsche, the depreciation is actually not too bad (compared to others)... thus the cost of ownership of 3 years is pretty good (if you have the cashflow or the bank to park that much money.)

Where one can really win, is a CPO porsche. Drive it for one-two years and sell it with one year warranty remaining. The overall cost shouldnt be too bad on the right model.

I am currently trying this with a CPO 997.1TT. Drive it for a couple of years, sell it and find something else for another two years... Experiment to See how little it costs own a newer porsche short term.
Altough i really do not want to sell it...
Old 09-13-2015, 11:08 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Here is what i have considered....

Forget about buying anything pre owned. (and forgret about BMW)

Buy or lease the new 991.2 C4S. Great year round 911.
Replace it every 3 years for the rest of your life and enjoy the latest greatest each time one is launched.
You will see the evolution first hand which could be fun and the new car smell is great.
Or, buy pre-owned from the dealer with CPO, super low finance rates, don't worry about anything breaking down/maintenance, and then sell after 3 yrs for minimal loss and before CPO runs out. Repeat with newer car at that time.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:26 AM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Or, buy pre-owned from the dealer with CPO, super low finance rates, don't worry about anything breaking down/maintenance, and then sell after 3 yrs for minimal loss and before CPO runs out. Repeat with newer car at that time.
What are the finance rate for pre-owned CPO's? I tried to look them up online but I don't see it posted anywhere?
Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Wow.
Maybe we should start a new Rennlist forum for us poor guys.
Actually I'd have to have money falling out of my pockets to buy (or lease) any car that depreciated $1,000's of dollars every month.
It's just a car ......
Look at it this way Rod .... while these guys are losing thousands in depreciation , you have one of the most appreciating assets on the Forum, that Carrera spike has no end in site right now ..
Old 09-14-2015, 02:06 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

people on this forum are hilarious. trashing a poster who is trying to sell his car. making fun of people who buy new cars. get a life.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:59 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
people on this forum are hilarious. trashing a poster who is trying to sell his car. making fun of people who buy new cars. get a life.
Take a pill bud. We are just chatting on a forum. I don't see any trashing here .... yet.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:15 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Take a pill bud. We are just chatting on a forum. I don't see any trashing here .... yet.
I don't like being called "bud". That is trash talk, no?
Old 09-15-2015, 11:03 AM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I don't like being called "bud". That is trash talk, no?
Fight! Fight! Fight! Fight!
Old 09-15-2015, 11:23 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Yup good way to go as well as the leasing option tcsracing1 mentioned. Just need to have disposable income to afford it.

I though, I don't like the new technology or the big brother stuff being added to new cars. Even my 2005 Cayenne is just a tad on the brink of having to much electronics, more so then my 996's which have been very good to me considering their age and use.
Rather then speed thousands of dollars a month for leasing or loan payments on one or 2 cars, I rather bank the money and put money when it requires it, into maintenance of payment free 10+ year old Porsches.

I am thinking my next DD will be a 90's diesel LR Defender. Not sure I want anything new ever again.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:42 PM
2001Porsche911
Instructor

Originally Posted by 2001Porsche911
What are the finance rate for pre-owned CPO's? I tried to look them up online but I don't see it posted anywhere?
Just talked to someone at Pfaff, they said the finance rate up to 6 years is 4.69% variable of 5.69 fixed on CPO'd Porsche's.

Isn't that rate pretty high? Is that the same rate others were quoted for CPO'd Porsche's?
Old 09-15-2015, 02:30 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Yup good way to go as well as the leasing option tcsracing1 mentioned. Just need to have disposable income to afford it.

I though, I don't like the new technology or the big brother stuff being added to new cars. Even my 2005 Cayenne is just a tad on the brink of having to much electronics, more so then my 996's which have been very good to me considering their age and use.
Rather then speed thousands of dollars a month for leasing or loan payments on one or 2 cars, I rather bank the money and put money when it requires it, into maintenance of payment free 10+ year old Porsches.

I am thinking my next DD will be a 90's diesel LR Defender. Not sure I want anything new ever again.
I'm with you on this one Greg.

But having said that, remember when the 996TT first came out and people (okay, air cooled guys lol) commented about there was so much to go wrong.

Maybe in 15 years I'll be driving a 2015 and shaking my head at the 2030!

As far as disposable income. Is it a little out of hand when you make a good living and still feel this is a lot of money for a new car?
Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm with you on this one Greg.

But having said that, remember when the 996TT first came out and people (okay, air cooled guys lol) commented about there was so much to go wrong.

Maybe in 15 years I'll be driving a 2015 and shaking my head at the 2030!

As far as disposable income. Is it a little out of hand when you make a good living and still feel this is a lot of money for a new car?
I agree it's a lot of money for a new disposable car. They don't build em like the used to.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I hear you loud and clear.

Basically, if you buy or lease something for 3 years it will depreicate. How much is really irrelevant. You are paying for transportation which will always have a cost to it. In the case of a motor vehicle it depreciates with wear and tear.

What one buys or leases from new is something budgeted with their income and lifestyle. Some will do a Kia, others will do a domesitc while those with a little more will do a luxury product such as a porsche.

In the case of a porsche, the depreciation is actually not too bad (compared to others)... thus the cost of ownership of 3 years is pretty good (if you have the cashflow or the bank to park that much money.)

Where one can really win, is a CPO porsche. Drive it for one-two years and sell it with one year warranty remaining. The overall cost shouldnt be too bad on the right model.

I am currently trying this with a CPO 997.1TT. Drive it for a couple of years, sell it and find something else for another two years... Experiment to See how little it costs own a newer porsche short term.
Altough i really do not want to sell it...
I think that car should retain its value and you will do VERY well ,, isn't the 997.1 the last manual gear box ? I thought 997.2 TT were all PDK !. is this tue ?
Old 09-15-2015, 08:03 PM
breakfast
Pro

997 would make more financial sense. E

M3 would clearly be a better/ usable daily.

Quick Reply: New car opinion- BMW M or Porsche for Daily Driver