Notices

Will US$ exchange cause cars to go South?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 12:20 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also noticed the Bring a Trailer theme of more Canadian cars. Tempting to cash in.

A local dealer here in Victoria has been stock piling air cooled cars and other awesomeness such as GT3 RS, Countach etc etc. Lots of their cars are being sold to the US. The selection in Canada was already small and will only get smaller as more cars go south.

Bad time to buy if you are a Canadian.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:52 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Canadians asking u.s market value for their cars is perfectly fine.
But the incentive for americans to come to canada to drag back a car is not there if the price point is the same as in america. It is easier for the americans to buy in america. Thus, i cannot see how canadians can ask american market value and get it?

As result of the canadians expecting u.s market for their cars is that they sit and end up not selling.
Yanks couldnt be bothered to buy them unless they see the 20-30% exchange rate savings, and local canadians are not going to overpay 20-30% today for something that might not be 20-30% tommorow.

I have had two turbo deals fall through because the cunuck sellers are looking at the u.s porsche market and see dollar signs $$.

I can only imagine how bad it would feel to overpay for a car in canada due to the exchange rate only to see the dollar come back and end up upside down on the car....
Old 09-04-2015, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
Canadians asking u.s market value for their cars is perfectly fine.
But the incentive for americans to come to canada to drag back a car is not there if the price point is the same as in america. It is easier for the americans to buy in america. Thus, i cannot see how canadians can ask american market value and get it?

As result of the canadians expecting u.s market for their cars is that they sit and end up not selling.
Yanks couldnt be bothered to buy them unless they see the 20-30% exchange rate savings, and local canadians are not going to overpay 20-30% today for something that might not be 20-30% tommorow.

I have had two turbo deals fall through because the cunuck sellers are looking at the u.s porsche market and see dollar signs $$.

I can only imagine how bad it would feel to overpay for a car in canada due to the exchange rate only to see the dollar come back and end up upside down on the car....

Canadians especially in Ontario think their cars and motorcycles are always worth waaayyyy more than market value. If you look at ads it's ridiculous what people ask even for non desirable cars and bikes
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Will US$ exchange cause cars to go South?

Like Lamborghini's?
Old 09-04-2015, 11:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bacura
Like Lamborghini's?

All cars yes, even ****ty 50th 911's

Quick Reply: Will US$ exchange cause cars to go South?