Question Re: Key cutting?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:57 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Question Re: Key cutting?

Hey Guys,
So my C4S only came with 1 key and I would like to get another key made. I called 2 local P dealers in Oakville & Woodbridge and they quoted $647 for the key & programming. I get its a Porsche but that's a lot of coin for a simple key.

Can anyone else cut a key & have dealer program it?

Anyone know if there another way to get it done besides the Stealer? I am in GTA if that matters.

Thanks in advance
Old 07-03-2015, 01:24 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Join PCA and get 10% off.... other than that, you are likely out of luck unless you have a friend with access to PIWIS and German connections.

I went through this process (at dealer's cost) when I bought my car. Apparently Germany has to provide a code for the key.
Old 07-03-2015, 01:54 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 67 Posts

Check out Suncoast Porsche parts for the key and RFID, the extra for the Boxster S was $169 US and then $150 Cdn at stealer to get it programmed. I called EU Autowerks to see if they could program and they told mee only dealer with proof of ownership.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:51 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by cash-man
Apparently Germany has to provide a code for the key.
Atlanta.

They actually plug into the OB2 via pwis2 > wireless to > dealer server > to PCNA server. The server unlocks the security program in the vehicles computer to allow the new codes to be recognized. Both keys are matched with new codes and then matched to car. Having a pwis2 does not unlock the security code area of the program as that section of the software is greyed out without PCNA server connection and being logged in, (user/password). This after you show license and ownership which they scan and send to Atlanta as proof of ownership.

The system is in place to prevent theft of pwis2's to steal cars OR dealership staff programing keys for thieves.

The bad part is dealerships use any excuse NOT to cut keys or program key heads that they didn't sell. One told me that the blade I bought at Suncoast could be a 'Chinese fake'. Quote: 'We've seen eBay ones with Porsche bar-codes on the part bag that wreaked our cutting tool'. Now we know this is bull$hit, (most of the metal is softer then OEM) as I offered to show them the shipping receipt. 'No, that's our policy'. Same with the head reprogramming that is not an original head that came with your car. If you buy it elsewhere they make up some excuse for that as well.

So just beware of this if you buy offshore and 'expect' a local dealer to reprogram your spare and program a matching new key. Its unfortunate that a good theft deterrent system turns into a dealer cash grab. Pretty much all upper end car manufacturers do the same thing. Thank you for shopping Porsche, we use good lube when you bend over...
Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 PM
Pags993
Drifting

^ Porsche branded classic lube in a retro tin to be exact at $18.00 per litre lol
Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
Atlanta.

They actually plug into the OB2 via pwis2 > wireless to > dealer server > to PCNA server. The server unlocks the security program in the vehicles computer to allow the new codes to be recognized. Both keys are matched with new codes and then matched to car. Having a pwis2 does not unlock the security code area of the program as that section of the software is greyed out without PCNA server connection and being logged in, (user/password). This after you show license and ownership which they scan and send to Atlanta as proof of ownership.

The system is in place to prevent theft of pwis2's to steal cars OR dealership staff programing keys for thieves.

The bad part is dealerships use any excuse NOT to cut keys or program key heads that they didn't sell. One told me that the blade I bought at Suncoast could be a 'Chinese fake'. Quote: 'We've seen eBay ones with Porsche bar-codes on the part bag that wreaked our cutting tool'. Now we know this is bull$hit, (most of the metal is softer then OEM) as I offered to show them the shipping receipt. 'No, that's our policy'. Same with the head reprogramming that is not an original head that came with your car. If you buy it elsewhere they make up some excuse for that as well.

So just beware of this if you buy offshore and 'expect' a local dealer to reprogram your spare and program a matching new key. Its unfortunate that a good theft deterrent system turns into a dealer cash grab. Pretty much all upper end car manufacturers do the same thing. Thank you for shopping Porsche, we use good lube when you bend over...
Germany.... Atlanta.... tomatoes.... tomahtoes....
Old 07-10-2015, 08:09 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The key cutting can be found on line, I read elsewhere a company in UK can cut a key blade perfectly from a digital picture of the key you have.

Programming the key head is another story, how Doug explained it is the best I have read, sounds expensive from just reading it......

May want to call up dealership in Buffalo area to see what their pricing is like.
Old 07-10-2015, 10:12 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

try pacific mall.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Dinicod
Racer

I picked up a key from the UK, keys in the post.

They sent me a perfectly cut key with an unprogrammed chip. Local indie said they will programme it but couldn't guarantee success.

So the key will open the door, but not start the car right now. No remote function by the way.

I think I paid $90.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:42 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
try pacific mall.
To cut the key, or program the key head?
Old 07-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Pags993
Drifting

I would trust them to do none of the above.
Old 07-11-2015, 01:05 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Question Re: Key cutting?

I had this done a few weeks ago. I bought a blank key from Sonnen for $150 and had it cut locally at a locksmith. Unfortunately the key was very rough going into the ignition. Apparently sometimes they don't cut the grooves deep enough. After a few more attempts it was still sticky going in. I ended up ordering another pre cut key from Sonnen for an extra $40 for a total of $190 plus 1/2 labour at the dealer for programming totalling $77.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:13 AM
gsxr_fvr
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CZ
I had this done a few weeks ago. I bought a blank key from Sonnen for $150 and had it cut locally at a locksmith. Unfortunately the key was very rough going into the ignition. Apparently sometimes they don't cut the grooves deep enough. After a few more attempts it was still sticky going in. I ended up ordering another pre cut key from Sonnen for an extra $40 for a total of $190 plus 1/2 labour at the dealer for programming totalling $77.

That's very reasonable
Old 07-14-2015, 08:18 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr_fvr
That's very reasonable
I would say palpable vs. reasonable.... but 700$ is nuts....
Old 07-31-2015, 01:39 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 911CZ
Anyone know if any Toronto P dealer is willing to program a Sonnen Key?

Thanks,

Al

Quick Reply: Question Re: Key cutting?