Notices

Anyone here polished their plastic headlights before?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 11:10 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
looks great and nice write up too.

dont forget that if you get it clear coated very likely they will re-sand it back down to 800/1000. they will need to coarse it up a bit otherwise there is a chance the clearcoat wont stick.
Thanks.

I was wondering about that. My attempt at Clearcoating seemed to work and it definitely hid the scratches that were still left on the headlight, but the Clearcoat problems I had could have been due to adhesion.
Stopping at 1000 would have made the job much simpler. If anyone has tried this (ie stopping at 1000 grit and clear coating) I'd love to hear about the results.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:45 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 584 Likes on 351 Posts

that's what the body shop told me at least re sanding back to 800.

i decided against it since i'll be 3m'ing it anyways.

btw guys for those who want to buy the genuine brand name 3m kit; its on sale at cdn tire (im a private label kind of guy lol)

Originally Posted by kgoertz
Thanks.

I was wondering about that. My attempt at Clearcoating seemed to work and it definitely hid the scratches that were still left on the headlight, but the Clearcoat problems I had could have been due to adhesion.
Stopping at 1000 would have made the job much simpler. If anyone has tried this (ie stopping at 1000 grit and clear coating) I'd love to hear about the results.

Quick Reply: Anyone here polished their plastic headlights before?