Out of hibernation

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 08:37 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Out of hibernation

'Tis the season :-)
Spring is here and the weather is finally warming up.
Last weekend I did some work on rectifying a displaced cylinder base gasket and installed my new Euro tail light lenses. I got a case of Brad Penn 20W50 yesterday and was able to finish the job today and actually take the car out for a drive this afternoon. Felt great!!

New lenses
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2015, 09:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,027 Likes on 731 Posts

So fill us in on what you found with the displaced gasket !!
I'm curious as I'm rebuilding
Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 PM
dohc
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hahaha ! Nice plate

DOHC
Old 03-21-2015, 11:05 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw a little oil at the bottom of the case a while ago. Upon inspection, I discovered that the cylinder 1 base gasket was protruding along the bottom, and was seeping oil. The gaskets that I used were the ones that are coated with a black material, not the bare copper ones. I used a little bit of Curil-T on them when assembling as well. First thing I did was check my head stud torque. I used ARP studs, which I have learned can back off a bit during break in. Turned out that cylinder 1 required about 10 degrees of rotation to get back to correct torque, while none of the others did. I don't know if it was slack because of the shifted gasket, or if it was the cause of the shifted gasket. I then slacked off all but the front two studs on cylinder 3, and gently tapped the gasket back into place with a wooden dowel. Then re-torqued everything. Topped up the oil and went for a half hour drive. So far she seems OK. More time and a couple of good runs will tell.

Quick Reply: Out of hibernation