Notices

East coast drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 05:59 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default East coast drive

Depending on the timing of delivery of the gt4 it may not work out for ED.

Curious who has done an east coast drive. I am in Toronto so the drive to Halifax, NB, Newfoundland would be 2-3 days each direction. I am sure it would be stunning in Labrador and I would throw my clubs into the car and hit calbot links, highland links and maybe a course in PEI.

I will leave the high speeds for the DE days. I still love the Sea to Sky hwy out west in BC. You don't even need to speed to enjoy the drive. I am assuming I will find equally stunning roads out east.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:17 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

That would be an AMAZING trip
Old 03-16-2015, 09:47 PM
GreatWhiteNorth
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have done a few times. Stay on the 20 east of QC and do Gaspe Peninsula. NFLD is amazing!! we did in a 90 Westfalia and a Ford Sporttrack only wishing I had a p-car. Come back through Maine on the "airline" and Vermont into southern townships of Quebec. KILLER LOOP!!!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Opted to drive the Pcar to NS when we moved out here late last fall.. Spent two days but stuck on the main highways. Regret not planning a more scenic route but things were hectic and needed to get here quick. Looking forward to the twisty roads come spring!
Old 03-16-2015, 10:42 PM
focal
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth
Have done a few times. Stay on the 20 east of QC and do Gaspe Peninsula. NFLD is amazing!! we did in a 90 Westfalia and a Ford Sporttrack only wishing I had a p-car. Come back through Maine on the "airline" and Vermont into southern townships of Quebec. KILLER LOOP!!!
thanks. Still planning a summer vacation. May even do it before the GT4. The 3 series is pretty fun also.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:52 PM
GreatWhiteNorth
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by focal
thanks. Still planning a summer vacation. May even do it before the GT4. The 3 series is pretty fun also.
No problem!!! BTW congrats on the GT4 decision!! Cant wait to see it
Old 03-16-2015, 11:14 PM
Donster
Pro

I'm from the south shore of Nova Scotia and know it well. There are lots of great driving roads but you need to stray off the main highways to enjoy them. Most of the major highways stick to the inland areas where there is very little to see, and the highways, though fast, are just boring. The older two lane highways are often coastal and don't have much traffic if they're more than 50km from Halifax. Far more scenic and more fun to drive.
I strongly recommend you allocate more than 2-3 days each direction if you plan to go to Newfoundland as well, especially if you plan on visiting PEI and/or playing golf. Labrador is kind of out of the question in that time frame.
Enjoy your trip.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:18 AM
Mike_UCR
Rennlist Member

Have done the trip to NS/NB/PEI a couple of times and also did a coast to coast tour of NL. You definitely won't have time to hit all those areas. The whirlwind tour of NL takes a week and covers 3500 km but is worth the investment.
NB boring for the most part but the Bay of Fundy is a must see and you should do the Magnetic Hill as cheesy as it sounds.
NS has lots of good shoreline drives and the Cabot Trail is a must see. Lots of twisty road and great scenery.
PEI is quaint and there are some interesting sites but roads are pretty flat & straight.

In summary, set aside to weeks for the mainland trip and a separate week for NL. You won't be disappointed.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

I echo Mike-UCR's comments. Nfld is simply amazing...the most underrated province in Canada. Take the time to explore it and do some advance reading. Beautiful place.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:19 AM
IEXLR8
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a blast
Old 03-17-2015, 11:25 AM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

+1 Gaspe, Cape Breton, southern Vermont............The Airline in Maine is the best. Saw too many Moose near the road to feel safe at speed in Nfld. PEI isn't as interesting a drive but has nice beaches. Also experienced very few PEI tax collectors............and commensurately high speeds.
Old 03-17-2015, 02:41 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Drove the shoreline of PEI a couple of years ago and it was a blast.
You really don't have to go much over the speed limit to get a little thrill here and there.
I thought it was very cool how they set the road lines up so you could pass on the inside when coming out of the corners.
I don't think my wife had as much fun as I did.

Quick Reply: East coast drive