Notices

Cayman GT4 :)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:49 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 1990964C4
unfortunately, i would have to trade it in or sell it. my eldest boy is not too crazy about my idea. he asked me how will i choose which son to take with me to go places without rear seats. i am starting to question the rationality of this move. need to sleep on it
If you have to trade it in, I'd keep it till the boys outgrow the back seats. It's great fun when you can go out for a drive or to an event as a family.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Inrev
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by zerosixtwofour
if you pick full leather, it will be 1,250; it comes with silver stitchings

but if you add yellow or red - it will be an additional of 1,700

profit, profit, profit, and profit...............
My observation is that the stitching on the seats is already silver by default whereas if you change it to red or yellow it has to be changed on the seats as well.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:05 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

I was tempted. Then I configured one the way I wanted and it was more than I paid for the GT3. No longer interested though I'm sure it will be awesome!
Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboS
If you have to trade it in, I'd keep it till the boys outgrow the back seats. It's great fun when you can go out for a drive or to an event as a family.
Thats what decided to do. Little guy is 8 now, so another 5 years. C4S will be 10 years old by then. At that point I will probably just keep it and find a used GT4 like Patryk suggested. Who knows, there might be another awesome Porsche for me to lust after in 5 years time.

I just saved like $50K. That deserves a
Old 02-10-2015, 05:35 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Thats what decided to do. Little guy is 8 now, so another 5 years. C4S will be 10 years old by then. At that point I will probably just keep it and find a used GT4 like Patryk suggested. Who knows, there might be another awesome Porsche for me to lust after in 5 years time.

I made a similar decision. Hoping that I'll see some sweet GT4's (or other) kicking around in 3 years or so.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

If anything I think the trend is established that the GT/enthusiast models are going to get more and more insane. If the GT4 is successful I'm sure you'll see more manual cars even if they are slower. It's probably being used as a proof of concept for a manual RS (as if there's any doubt that would fly off the shelves).
Old 02-10-2015, 11:12 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It feels like every year Porsche releases a "hot" version of one their cars. The GTS is now a trim level. So the gap between an S and GT car is really narrowing, also with the mezger engine being discontinued its more affordable for them to tune a 9A1 DFI to higher outputs. I suspect there will be a Boxster GT4 as they have test mules of a "hot" boxster out in the wild already. And if its true that the RS models are going to be more rare / exclusive, then they will like make likely make the GT cars a trim level as well especially if the rest of the range goes turbo. If it sells units... why not.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:52 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by destro
It feels like every year Porsche releases a "hot" version of one their cars. The GTS is now a trim level. So the gap between an S and GT car is really narrowing, also with the mezger engine being discontinued its more affordable for them to tune a 9A1 DFI to higher outputs. I suspect there will be a Boxster GT4 as they have test mules of a "hot" boxster out in the wild already. And if its true that the RS models are going to be more rare / exclusive, then they will like make likely make the GT cars a trim level as well especially if the rest of the range goes turbo. If it sells units... why not.
I don't think you will ever see a soft top GT2/3/4, these are reserved for the racing class their race car cup version are in. The GTS and R are just trim levels, that used to be just S but now they have made the S into it's own trim level. Nothing special about a trim level to me.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:00 AM
destro
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
I don't think you will ever see a soft top GT2/3/4, these are reserved for the racing class their race car cup version are in. The GTS and R are just trim levels, that used to be just S but now they have made the S into it's own trim level. Nothing special about a trim level to me.
With the Mezger discontinued and Porsche essentially having 1 engine with various degrees of tune (and internals, GT3), anything is possible. When the "R" and "GTS" badge were first used in 1960s 911s and 924 those were the more hardcore cars made for racing... now they are just a trim level, a 911 GTS 4 Cabriolet is pretty far from the original intent of the badge. I wouldn't be surprised to see the GT cars fall into that category and the RS models be the only exclusive models... all cars will be turbo and naturally aspirated will be reserved for the GT cars, they will only sell a small number so they will keep the company's fuel economy figures in check, and they won't alienate the purists. It also helps with marketing when someone buys a Cayenne, they can think that a piece of racing DNA is part of their car.

Heck I am not making this up... what would you call this boxster?

Also for Porsche to offer both manual and PDK they need to sell a larger volume of cars... Andreas P. said that was one of the reasons why manual was not offered on the 991 GT3, too expensive to develop since the GT cars are limited to only a thousand or so units.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:15 AM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11501278...led-club-sport
Old 02-11-2015, 10:33 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

That could be a new Spyder, I can't see any one racing Boxster GT4 cups. If there is a Boxster GT4 then that lowers Porsche's rep imo and shows there is no real rhyme or reason to their model variants other then pure marketing to sell a few more cars.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:54 AM
destro
Rennlist Member

Maybe the "Club Sport" concept makes more sense for the boxster. But currently the 991 race cars still use the mezger not the 9A1 correnct? So will porsche race the GT4 with the 9A1? They did say that the RS is going to get a new engine, ideally one that they can share with the race car, so maybe the GT4 race car will get that engine as well.

To me, the current generation of the GT3 / GT4 feel more like a trim level as they use none racing engines. Still really cool cars, but there's less awe when I see one in person compared to the 996 / 997 GT cars.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:27 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

The RS will have a 9A1. I think it will just be a updated version of it. Though an interview for the 991 RS they said it was a completely new engine that all the future models will be using. In the 991 gt3 section I think they hashed over that and decided it is the same 9A1 motor. That all new meant all new vs the mezger engine being the phased out and not the 9A1.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:47 PM
John Elliot
Racer

I heard there have been numerous deposits put down on GT4s in Ontario over the last few days. Well over 30. Will all these orders get filled?
Old 02-11-2015, 10:24 PM
Newshoundaussie
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by John Elliot
I heard there have been numerous deposits put down on GT4s in Ontario over the last few days. Well over 30. Will all these orders get filled?
Wow! Hope to see one or two in the London area.

Last edited by Newshoundaussie; 02-12-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Cayman GT4 :)