Notices

Cayenne Engine Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 02:59 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathon Rolstin
Lmao, yes a friend made that for me and posted on facebook. I saved it in the album because I thought it was hilarious...
Call me cynical, lol, but image the one he would have come up with if it didn't start?
Old 09-20-2020, 03:59 PM
Rob Page
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I might be reviving an old thread...

Considering taking on something like this, but with a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S. I have extensive DIY experience, but perhaps nothing quite like rebuilding a Porsche Turbo engine. Been looking for as much info as I can find on the subject, but as noted in many other threads, Cayenne engine rebuild info is hard to find/non-existent. Anyone around (@Jonathon Rolstin?? ) able to offer advice as to best places to go for how-tos, etc on the subject? Does Alldatadiy repair manuals give enough info?

Any reply would be much appreciated.
Old 09-20-2020, 08:59 PM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Page
Looks like I might be reviving an old thread...

Considering taking on something like this, but with a 2009 Cayenne Turbo S. I have extensive DIY experience, but perhaps nothing quite like rebuilding a Porsche Turbo engine. Been looking for as much info as I can find on the subject, but as noted in many other threads, Cayenne engine rebuild info is hard to find/non-existent. Anyone around (@Jonathon Rolstin?? ) able to offer advice as to best places to go for how-tos, etc on the subject? Does Alldatadiy repair manuals give enough info?

Any reply would be much appreciated.
well apparently I have email notifications on for this thread!

would be happy to offer advice etc. Factor Porsche workshop is what I used. I think I still have it and I would be willing to share. I’m surprised to hear of a turbo needing a rebuild - what’s failed (or failing) in the motor?

and thanks for the trip down memory lane!

JR
Old 09-21-2020, 05:44 PM
Rob Page
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jonathon. I appreciate you getting back to me.

To be honest, I don't even own the car yet. Diagnosis so far is an engine knock at idle, which sounds like it's in-line with the cylinder scoring problem that has been so well documented over the past years. Could it be something else, like timing or valve problem? Maybe, but it seems that the scoring problem exists in all engines up to and including the 2009 Turbos. Ultimate reason for this problem happening is still up in the air.

At this point, I'm doing as much diligence as I can before pulling the trigger to decide if this is something I want to take on, and also to determine what my purchase price point should be (ie. extremely low).

Your offer to share resources is fantastic, and I may take you up on that... More importantly for me is the information you had to chase down, because it wasn't mentioned or had poor coverage. (ie. Cylinder clearances, torque specs, etc).

Last edited by Rob Page; 09-21-2020 at 06:46 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-22-2020, 02:39 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

borescope should confirm bore scoring if its present. I would never buy a modern Porsche without one ...
Old 09-22-2020, 03:02 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

It's odd that the 4.5/4.7/5.0/5.4 928 allusi blocks almost never suffer from scoring. I wonder what Porsche changed to make this so common on later models.

The scoring can only be one thing really, piston skirts contacting the bore. Maybe it's just the tighter tolerances of more modern engines?
Old 09-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
It's odd that the 4.5/4.7/5.0/5.4 928 allusi blocks almost never suffer from scoring. I wonder what Porsche changed to make this so common on later models.

The scoring can only be one thing really, piston skirts contacting the bore. Maybe it's just the tighter tolerances of more modern engines?
I think it's the tighter piston tolerances driven by tighter emission regulations causes it. The 928 is a very loose engine. You will notice this as soon as you boost it.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

yeah really the very first i had heard of piston scoring in Porsches was this thread all those years ago. Oh how the world has changed.. not Just Porsche either, seems quite a few modern engines are suffering from this .
Old 09-29-2020, 02:58 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah really the very first i had heard of piston scoring in Porsches was this thread all those years ago. Oh how the world has changed.. not Just Porsche either, seems quite a few modern engines are suffering from this .
Colder climates definitely exacerbate this too...

I noticed when the new 9A2 engines came out (for the 992), the cylinder wall surfaces were changed to a plasma wire arc deposited iron... and I have wondered if that was (partly?) a move to tackle this issue in a more fundamental way.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Engine Rebuild