Notices

help with pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 PM
gibbyc4s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with pricing

Just wanted some advice on a price for my 997.2 c4s. I'm not all that interested in selling currently but was thinking about a trade in and was low balled.

I'll keep the details brief as I don't want to come off as posting a classified - i really just want a consensus from car guys.

2011 997.2 c4s, well optioned, kept in great condition, fully serviced at dealer with - wait for it - 170,000km on the odo.

I purchased new.

thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:53 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

You have to remember dealers don't care about the blah blah blah when providing trade in value. They look at the mileage.

And it's really high so you will be offered really low
Old 09-23-2014, 11:02 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Agree with Iceman, the car could be covered in diamonds the reality is that mileage is going to kill trade in value. Just the reality, it also severely limits the potential customer base for them in trying to resell the vehicle.
Old 09-23-2014, 11:20 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Part of the problem for dealers taking it as a trade-in is that they can't get financing on it for their customer. Financing companies have mileage cutoffs - they differ from company to company, but it's usually around 170-180k km.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:40 AM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

These cars have high depreciation at the best of times. You must have a long commute or you use the car for work. Most new car dealers would send this car to auction or wholesale it if they take it in on trade.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:52 AM
hoffa
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if I were in the market, it would have to be a heck of a deal to justify buying a car with 150km more than some of the other used 2011s on the market. I mean all things being equal (care, etc), I would pay a bit more for one with less KM and that still had warranty.

Willing to share what the low ball was?
Old 09-24-2014, 03:03 PM
gibbyc4s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hoffa
if I were in the market, it would have to be a heck of a deal to justify buying a car with 150km more than some of the other used 2011s on the market. I mean all things being equal (care, etc), I would pay a bit more for one with less KM and that still had warranty.

Willing to share what the low ball was?
$40k.

I do have a long highway commute, and have thoroughly enjoyed the parts not in dvp/401/qew gridlock. I always intended to keep it indefinitely so never factored in the resale.

It's a great car and I suspect I'd regret parting ways with it but the new turbo blew me away.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:21 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't think that's much of a lowball. I had a quick look at wholesale prices for these. Looking at all 2011s (including cabs, turbos, c2s, etc) the highest mileage I could find was about 50k miles, for all sales in the last few months. That one was $55k, IIRC. These are US cars, which is a different market, to be sure, but there's no apples-to-apples comparison available. The dealer needs to make sure they're not overpaying for the car, and also factor in the cost of the money tied up in the car while it sits on their lot for several months, as it's a near-impossible car to resell. Add to that the fact that they'll have to in-house finance it to someone who probably can barely afford the payments, and they need to make sure they'll be in a safe position.

We all think our cars are worth more than they are on the open market. The reality is that you've driven most of the value out of the car. Your best bet is to keep it and drive it into the ground.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just completely honest.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:36 PM
gibbyc4s
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Christien
I don't think that's much of a lowball. I had a quick look at wholesale prices for these. Looking at all 2011s (including cabs, turbos, c2s, etc) the highest mileage I could find was about 50k miles, for all sales in the last few months. That one was $55k, IIRC. These are US cars, which is a different market, to be sure, but there's no apples-to-apples comparison available. The dealer needs to make sure they're not overpaying for the car, and also factor in the cost of the money tied up in the car while it sits on their lot for several months, as it's a near-impossible car to resell. Add to that the fact that they'll have to in-house finance it to someone who probably can barely afford the payments, and they need to make sure they'll be in a safe position.

We all think our cars are worth more than they are on the open market. The reality is that you've driven most of the value out of the car. Your best bet is to keep it and drive it into the ground.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, just completely honest.
No not at all, I appreciate the candor. I have a great relationship with my dealer (pfaff) and I look forward to buying something from them again.

I think I'll chip this one or maybe add a turbo kit at pfaff tuning until then.

Thanks everyone!
Old 09-24-2014, 05:07 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you add an aftermarket turbo on a high mileage car you should keep it forever. I doubt you will find a buyer at all. A chip is fine but you will notice very little change.
Old 09-24-2014, 05:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

il give you $40,000.01

Old 09-24-2014, 05:41 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

If I were you and wanted a new TT, I would buy or lease a commuter car and keep the new turbo as a toy car forever.
Old 09-24-2014, 06:19 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
If I were you and wanted a new TT, I would buy or lease a commuter car and keep the new turbo as a toy car forever.
Sorry Petee. Gotta disagree. Life is too short to drive a commuter car if you can afford not to.
Old 09-24-2014, 08:28 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

A commuter car need not be crap but a 150K car for commuting is expensive no matter how much money you have. Sometimes we must be practical.

Of course, I may not be the best guy to give advice. I have never owned a car that made it to 50K. I walk to to work. My office is at home.
Old 09-24-2014, 09:28 PM
dml
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

So that's almost the same as saying only spend 150K on a car if you don't drive it. Or spend 150K on a toy, and more on a DD.

I think the opposite; if you spend that much, enjoy it, it is a sunk cost.

Me, with 35K on my 2010 TT. I just don't have the need to drive much.

Quick Reply: help with pricing