Notices

KHF Audio -993 non-hifi speaker install!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 03:34 PM
Coop
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
Default KHF Audio -993 non-hifi speaker install!

Hi all,

Many thanks to wc11 for his recommendation and referral to KHF Audio. Allan and his team are great guys and took excellent care of my car.

The main concern was not to have a rolling boom box, just upgrade the speakers to fit into the OEM slots. With my already installed Becker Grand Prix 7990, I never touched the amp, wiring etc...

A while back I had found a set of 4X6 JL P6452 for the rears and removed the old 4X6s without too much trouble. Be careful, as I am sure you are all aware of how brittle/difficult (see clear silicone the PO used...) to remove the OEM speaker grills is! This is an important step to keep it all OEM as this part is NLA from Porsche.

Allan mentioned there are not many options for the rears, so any mid-priced 4X6 choice would be fine. The JLs include a tweeter and fall into the OEM spec of 4 ohms.

Allan suggested to go with a set of Alpine SPR-50C which contains new tweeters and 5.25 two way speakers. Done.

We checked to see if 6.5 inch speakers would fit, but they were too large for the outer factory grills, so 5.25 it is.

The tweeters are clipped in and come off when holding them a 7 o'clock with your thumb on top and index finger on the bottom while pushing down then twisting to (in my case) to the right. The new Alpines fit great inside the stock pod with a bit of grinding.

The stock 5.25 grills come off with a bit of muscle and some type of edged tool (an espresso spoon worked in my case) There are groves to insert the tool into and for you to then gently pull. Then the factory ring that the grill connects to unscrews easily. Speakers are now accessible.

Allan and his team are located and 170 Esna Park Drive (Woodbine, south of the 407) in Markham 905-470-9000

Hope this helps!

Coop
Attached Images     
Old 08-29-2014, 03:46 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like you got what you needed . Glad to have helped. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: KHF Audio -993 non-hifi speaker install!