Notices

Targa lease cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 12:43 AM
breakfast
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jumper5836
usually they have more inventory but you can get an idea of what people are paying for leases here
http://www.leasebusters.com/en/details.asp?ID=155499
There are so many more of these I seem to be noticing.. and obviously cayennes galore.
blows my mind, then again Im just a peasant.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:37 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Fundip
I cannot lease a US car though, I am in Canada.
I know that...but I'm showing you that although there's a 10% difference in currencies, the $2800 figure seems quite high for an almost comparable car.

Also, look closely at the Sonnen advert and you'll see what the residual is and be able to work out the money factor...
Old 05-02-2014, 08:48 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
I know that...but I'm showing you that although there's a 10% difference in currencies, the $2800 figure seems quite high for an almost comparable car.

Also, look closely at the Sonnen advert and you'll see what the residual is and be able to work out the money factor...
Every thing over the border is cheaper and a better deal.
Old 05-02-2014, 09:52 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by breakfast
There are so many more of these I seem to be noticing.. and obviously cayennes galore.
blows my mind, then again Im just a peasant.
I can't get over how many people are trying to break their leases especially BMW owners! Unreal...I suppose its the only way people can afford cars nowadays by leasing.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

I can't get over how many people are trying to break their leases especially BMW owners! Unreal...I suppose its the only way people can afford cars nowadays by leasing.
BMW
Break My Wallet
Old 05-02-2014, 11:12 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
$100,800 over 3 years.

Buy a 1-year old C4S for that, and in 3 years sell it for $70k. Using car math, your costs are now down to $830/month........ plus my consulting fees (of course).

By reading my post you agree to above-mentioned consulting fees.
You forgot to add in maintenance and repairs. Methinks the OP doth not do his own repairs. This can change your numbers considerably......
Old 05-02-2014, 12:03 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

It all depends on how you spec'd your Targa etc.

In the for sale section Sonnen Porsche has a 991 Cab lease for $799/month USD on a $111k list price:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68774

Residual on this 24 month/5k miles per year lease is 73%, so $81457.
Unfortunately you really can't compare US lease numbers to Canadian with the expectation that they provide anything other than insight into a larger and more competitive market.

The reason the Canadian lease number is so shocking is simply because there's less competition and Porsche Canada isn't subsiding residuals or interest rates to make the lease more attractive.

With a lease a minor manipulation or residual and APR has a huge impact on payment.

No, but a little constructive feedback would be appreciated. Clearly, you think it's a bad deal, but can you be more specific?
I always look at it this way for sports cars...finance. If a leasing company can afford to lease you a car knowing they will make money because they won't have to write-down the gap between the cars ultimate market value and the residual then you are better off financing.

You're already paying the same about (or more) of interest as you pay interest on the total capital cost with a lease.

Obviously financing also gives you more flexibility to sell the car should something (red perhaps;-) catch you eye.
Old 05-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 838 Likes on 384 Posts

No, but a little constructive feedback would be appreciated. Clearly, you think it's a bad deal, but can you be more specific?
The cost of every car purchase is comprised of

Cost of borrowed dough (opportunity cost if your own dough)
Depreciation

Control cost by using credit union or home backed line of credit to finance

You can't control depreciation but you can delay til u sell the car

So borrow the dough at 3%, pay interest only and delay any depreciation til you sell
Old 05-02-2014, 04:11 PM
Fundip
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
You forgot to add in maintenance and repairs. Methinks the OP doth not do his own repairs. This can change your numbers considerably......
Doth thinketh correctly about the repairs.

Anyways, I don't want a non-targa Carrrera. The only reason I'm getting a Porsche is because I like the looks of the new targa. Also, I don't like holding cars for more than 2-3 years. Leases work for me because I can switch cars fairly often without having to worry about selling them or babying them.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:13 PM
Fundip
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
The cost of every car purchase is comprised of

Cost of borrowed dough (opportunity cost if your own dough)
Depreciation

Control cost by using credit union or home backed line of credit to finance

You can't control depreciation but you can delay til u sell the car

So borrow the dough at 3%, pay interest only and delay any depreciation til you sell
Thanks, this is helpful. I hadn't considered an interest-only financing (I didn't even know such a thing existed for cars). I was choosing between leasing or a cash purchase, and since the opportunity cost on my own dough is more than 3%, the interest-only financing might make more sense. Something to think about now.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

I am not to keen on the Targa look.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, this is helpful. I hadn't considered an interest-only financing (I didn't even know such a thing existed for cars). I was choosing between leasing or a cash purchase, and since the opportunity cost on my own dough is more than 3%, the interest-only financing might make more sense. Something to think about now.
That is all fine but don't expect this in the form of a car loan. It will be secured by whatever security the bank requires for a $175,000.00. line of credit.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

two advantages to leasing is paying tax only on the leased portion not on the whole cost of car, and that if you work for yourself you can right off the payments.
disclosure: I have never leased nor borrowed to buy a car.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:45 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

But wouldn't you need to have a lot of income coming in to be able to write off the payments? Is there a certain ratio?

I'm asking as my wife's photography business is beginning to take off and we are about to speak to an accountant to see where we can start writing off items.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:27 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

But wouldn't you need to have a lot of income coming in to be able to write off the payments? Is there a certain ratio?

I'm asking as my wife's photography business is beginning to take off and we are about to speak to an accountant to see where we can start writing off items.
Cam the lease would be in your or your wife's name and credit worthiness would be what Porsche Canada or other lender would look at. You can pay it directly from your company with before tax money. It is a fine line what reasonable expenses your business can absorb based on your particular profit/expenses. Example if sales for said company is 100k per year and profit is 50k you cannot totally expense the other 50k in vehicle expense for example. The government will see right through that. Your accountant will most likely have you determine the portion of personal vs business expense of the vehicle leased and you will be taxed on your portion as income. The first 85k (amount I think) is however taxed at a much lower tax bracket as a business.

Quick Reply: Targa lease cost