Notices

Starting her up in spring.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 10:30 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I pull the fuel pump fuse and crank the engine over a few times. And if I drained the oil before winter I add the last 1L of oil before starting. Coating the cylinders with oil after sitting for 4-5 months can't be a bad thing. It only takes a minute or two and it shouldn't hurt the car.
It may be a waste of time but it is worth it to me just in case it saves a time amount of wear.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:36 AM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, this is my first winter with the car, and with this horrible winter, I only had the chance to start it up once. Having said that, as with my previous vehicle (not a Porsche), I started it up once and a while, moved it around a bit, made sure to get it up to temp, and waited until the exhaust "dried up" (stopped spitting out water) so as not to damage the exhaust.
I mean, I've also heard that if it sits for long periods of time without running, whatever little film of oil sitting in the upper regions of the engine "dry up" and that's not good either?
Perhaps a different approach is warranted with the P car?
All I know is, she's running like a clock and waiting to be flogged!
Old 04-01-2014, 06:42 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Streather says to remove a litre of oil before storage and put it back before restarting in the spring (P133). Somewhere in a recent Excellence, it says modern synthetic oils are so good that that re-starts after 4 or 5 months are no issue. I'm sure this is the case, however, I will be yanking the DME and cranking in a bit of oil pressure before I start her up if my garage door every thaws!

Quick Reply: Starting her up in spring.