Notices

Which brake fluid, where to buy in east end?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 09:44 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which brake fluid, where to buy in east end?

Is there an OEM replacement fluid I can get in the east end of the city? I don't track (aside from PCA driving school this April)... Done lots of searching but can't find anything really handy to me, and not sure what I should be flushing with.. ATE, Motul, etc... no idea!

Justin
Old 03-12-2014, 09:53 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

Look in the owners manual. Big thing with brake fluid if you dint read the lift thread is flush it yearly. Brake fluid likes to absorb moisture and that will wreck the system.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:07 PM
zer026T
Pro

Checked the owners manual and it says (surprise) only use Original Porsche fluid. Figured there was an acceptable replacement that I could pick up locally.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:35 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 128 Posts

Blah any high quality brake fluid will work. Go to Auto Camping in Scarborough and you'll find what you need. If not I have a few can's of ATE SL around(Had to buy a 6pack), You need 1 can(1L) which is about 20$ plus shipping.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:36 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

There are quite a few choices. DOT 3 - 4 (syn) I'd defer to the dealer or an indy on this one.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:50 AM
zer026T
Pro

Took the day off to get acclimated to my car again and managed to get the lines bled (finally). Used ATE Type 200 DOT 4 which is a recommended brand by many. Found a place or two in the west end who carry it but I lucked out and got a brand new 1L jug for $15 on kijiji

Fluid was very clear and I had a really hard time telling old vs. new fluid. Was my first time bleeding brakes so there was a learning curve, but after taking time on the first calliper it was smooth sailing. The Motive black label power bleeder made the job much easier - my only complaint was the extremely short length of the tube they included to affix from the calliper nipple to the drain container. I could probably knock this out in ~1.5hrs next time given I am doing everything in my driveway.

I had planned to do the clutch too but ran out of time, plus it did not seem like it was going to be an easy reach. Based on the color of the old fluid it should be fine for a couple more years.

Quick Reply: Which brake fluid, where to buy in east end?