Notices

My 16 year old is getting his licence.. Insurance Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 08:40 PM
mattie_k
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Tell the boy he has to pay for insurance, worked for me. But if (god forbid!) selling the 996 turns out as your only option, I have a nice warm garage space and will look after it for you!
Old 02-13-2014, 09:18 PM
hopeforcash
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the similar situation as well. I have a daughter so insurance not as bad as a son. Also she is not in a hurry to get her G2 and I'm telling her to take her time. My broker said no waiver available as well so I am guessing some insurance companies accept and some don't?
Insurance on the DD, a Subaru is not too bad and I would be the primary on the 996, even though I would be driving 99% of the DD and 100% on the 996. The 3.2 is with Hagerty.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:58 PM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How about insuring the vehicle with the bank that holds your mortgage? Or in my case - mortgage's. That way you have leverage in the event you're not completely thrilled with their service.

It worked for me when I found out my wife had never actually been insured since she got her licence at 16 and they wanted to charge me 5k extra for a brand new driver.

Told them ING is looking better today …. they blinked and no extra charge came my way.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:03 AM
Dinicod
Racer

Don't know. Been with my company for a while (direct, no broker). They said he's in the house and the car is available to him, so.... I must ask/push again!!
Old 02-14-2014, 12:08 AM
alniri
AutoX

I went through this about a year ago.

You have to shop around. Insurance companies are all over the map on this.
My initial quote from the company I had been insured with for 10 years was almost $11K just to insure my son as a primary driver on a minivan.

I eventually found insurance for $4500.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Saturn
Insure the pcar with Haggerty and you as only driver. Buy a new car and insure that and SUV with your current insurance.
My 996 is a 1999, so coming up on 15 years. That is a possible solution !
Old 02-14-2014, 01:55 AM
996_North
Drifting

Originally Posted by Chimcu
Well I've managed to tell my insurance that my wife can't drive manual and first they kick and scream but eventually they agree that to out me Primary for both vehicle since I do most of the driving anyways. Second option is to kick him out of the house
Both my 996 and SUV are sticks...I'll keep this in mind, good angle.... Although I want my son to learn how to work a clutch, but they don't have to know that.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:58 AM
996_North
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sir5n
How about insuring the vehicle with the bank that holds your mortgage?..
Interesting, my mortgage comes up for renewal this summer. I may have some leverage there. Good suggestion. Thanks
Old 02-14-2014, 12:20 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 286 Likes on 197 Posts

I had my son change his address to his grandmother's house.
Problem solved and he was now even able to drive my cars.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:38 PM
entdoc
Instructor

I'm in the same situation. I called my broker and they advised that they would simply exclude my daughter from the Porsche which is our 3rd car.

You can try my broker - I've been very happy with them. Willis Canada 416.869.1320.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:30 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

It would help to have your dependents insured now properly, that way they get experience for being covered and they don't get screwed over when they do move out of their own and have a low salary.
I would do some research to find what is the cheapest car to ensure for him and then get a third car.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
It would help to have your dependents insured now properly, that way they get experience for being covered and they don't get screwed over when they do move out of their own and have a low salary.
I would do some research to find what is the cheapest car to ensure for him and then get a third car.
When my son got his G2 my insurance company sent him a "contract" for him to sign and that if he had three years without incident they would cover his liability portion in his fourth year of insurance!! Which is usually around half of the insurance for a young male driver. So far he has one year of safe driving. That way when he does get on his own he isn't starting with huge insurance and all the other expenses he will have.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:11 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Quest911
When my son got his G2 my insurance company sent him a "contract" for him to sign and that if he had three years without incident they would cover his liability portion in his fourth year of insurance!! Which is usually around half of the insurance for a young male driver. So far he has one year of safe driving. That way when he does get on his own he isn't starting with huge insurance and all the other expenses he will have.
Yes, sucks that they make you pay now for it even though not all new drivers have problems. Kinda guilty to proven innocent mentality. You pay now or pay later they win anyway you look at it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:17 PM
Quest911
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jumper5836
Yes, sucks that they make you pay now for it even though not all new drivers have problems. Kinda guilty to proven innocent mentality. You pay now or pay later they win anyway you look at it.
Yes, I agree nothing you can do.....If I don't pay it for him now. I don't think he will be able to afford insurance on his own in the future. So he has his own insurance policy now on ML350 and I pay it, vehicle in my name. Maybe, when he gets out of university in 5 years it will be easier than I had it at that age.

Well.....I had 4-5 speeding tickets and a major at fault accident before I was 18 so I am the typical bad young male driver at the time. I guess it would be my fault that they stereotype drivers now.
Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM
996_North
Drifting

Hello, I thought I would close the loop on this one. Since my 996 is now a classic, my broker is putting it with Hagarty and my primary will be with normal insurance. With a classic, my son does not need to be a primary driver. So I have two cars, two licenced drivers (me and the boy) but I remain the primary on both. Crisis adverted. Porsche still in driveway! Pockets less empty! Still a big stack of cash to pay for him as a secondary, but 1/4 of him if he was a primary. Soon I'll have someone to pick me up at the bar.

Quick Reply: My 16 year old is getting his licence.. Insurance Question