Notices

Dashboard Camera

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 01:05 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashboard Camera

Does anybody have experience with dashboard cameras??

Ideally, I would like something integrated. There are just way too many crazy people on my commute (mainly myself), and I want to be able to record funny/interesting events. Hopefully, I will never have to use it for an accident.

I may install a telemetry based system eventually, so I can use it to analyze my track days, but wondering if there is something I can do in the meantime.

Cheers,
P
Old 02-11-2014, 01:20 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Get a Go Pro, frame mount so you can charge camera while driving. Have it on 4 hr loop . Done
Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

Go pro wont give any telemetry.
I use a free app on the iPhone called Car PVR.
I'm set for 5 minute loops (up to 30), because you really only need the last 5 minutes.
Options include, time, date, road speed, gps coordinates.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:26 PM
shinrai
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Buy a DVR-027. They're available on eBay for ~60 bucks with free shipping. they come with everything you need minus a mem card. I have a couple of them. Connect to your cig lighter or ignition 12V source and it turns on automatically when you start your car. Put a 32 gig SD card in it and it will record for days depending on settings. Time stamped and overwrites old data. It's basically maintenance free. i bought mine because Jalopnik told me to. Be sure to buy a real one...there are a lot of fakes out there. eBay guys will show you how to tell the real from the fakes. I imagine most of those russian vids are produced on this cam.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:37 PM
lauranceyap
Instructor

We've used Racelogic Video VBOXes at some of our events - mount the tiny cameras where you want, overlay graphics with speed, revs, track map, etc. VBOX Pro supports up to 4 cameras.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:15 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use the blackvue DR-500G.. not had any problems with it, hardwired the cable around the windshield rubber.. on a continuous loop, so I never have to think about it.. unless something like these happen

or

Old 02-11-2014, 03:16 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

I'm worried that a dashcam or other would be seized by Police if I were ever in an accident...
Old 02-11-2014, 03:17 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by shinrai
Buy a DVR-027. They're available on eBay for ~60 bucks with free shipping. they come with everything you need minus a mem card. I have a couple of them. Connect to your cig lighter or ignition 12V source and it turns on automatically when you start your car. Put a 32 gig SD card in it and it will record for days depending on settings. Time stamped and overwrites old data. It's basically maintenance free. i bought mine because Jalopnik told me to. Be sure to buy a real one...there are a lot of fakes out there. eBay guys will show you how to tell the real from the fakes. I imagine most of those russian vids are produced on this cam.

Be advised however... cams can work against you if your in the wrong... Mine has a GPS system and also an impact sensor that locks the data in a separate file that doesn't over write.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 158 Likes on 100 Posts

"in the meantime" meaning FREE, phone apps are a viable option.

I also remember this one that also provide protection while parked.
http://www.kmph.ca/products/car-dash...u-CR500HD.html
Old 02-11-2014, 05:46 PM
PPo
Drifting

Originally Posted by Torontoworker

Be advised however... cams can work against you if your in the wrong... Mine has a GPS system and also an impact sensor that locks the data in a separate file that doesn't over write.
Wow... tell me more about this system please!

Thanks everybody for responding. Some good info for sure. I would like the installation to be as stealth as possible as I park in a an area with a *VERY* high rate of petty theft from vehicles.

Quick Reply: Dashboard Camera