Old 02-09-2014, 12:06 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Those three words

Cross post from OT

You have Cancer was told to me on December 10th by my Oral Dental Surgeon. It seems my right Sinus is full of cancer and on Feb 10th at 8 am I'm going in for a 10 hour operation at Toronto General Hospital. This is why I have been lurking instead of posting as It has scared the living crap out of me. I have been a wreck more or less since January 16th after the CT Scan and meeting with the Surgeon. I have met with two of them and both will be operating on my. They are the best according my Dentist, Oral Surgeon and a few friends who's SO's have been operated by them.

They say the Cancer has not moved into the Lymph Nodes and seems to be contained in the Sinus. I am getting the right side of my face opened up, Cancer removed, occipital (?) bone (under right eye) repaired, upper mandible removed with teeth, a bone graft taken from the shoulder blade and mandible rebuilt. I will be in for 10 days or so with the first 4 on the pain machine ... as they do NOT want me in pain. The surgeons say I will be back fishing by June with a set of upper dental plate/teeth that are held in place with inserts. I may not need radiation therapy as they caught it early enough. But I don't care ... I'll take it as I want to live!!!!!! I'll fight this as 59 is too young.

I asked them if it was caused by smoking and they both said NO. This seems to be a wood workers/ nickel refiners type of Cancer and I do woodworking. Friends call me "Jaak Villa". They will give me an answer once the cancer has been biopsied as to what may have caused it. It sounds like a roll of the dice type Cancer.

Needless to say I a scared ****less ... and don't let anyone tell you differently. It does affect one ... hell I've dropped 9 pounds due to stress. They tell me it is curable and if it does not come back after 5 years ... I'm cured!!!

I'll post afterwards if I'm up to it. So far I am at a stop point in life, after the surgery, I will be moving forward in life again with the aim to heal and live long!!!! Next two days are going to be the worst till after the surgery ... I am scared ... but as I told them "I want it out of me ... get it OUT!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, Jaak best of luck and I'm sorry to hear about your situation. All the best, my prayers are with you.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:30 AM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Speedy recovery Jaak. Glad you caught it early. Here's to a long and healthy life. F*ck Cancer.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Jaak Lepson
Rest In Peace Jaak
Cable Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks folks, means a lot.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Dinicod
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the best to you Jaak! Certainly puts my fender bender thread into perspective. Go kick the cancers *** man!
Old 02-09-2014, 12:40 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Jaak, your a beast so don't worry man you'll be around for a long time. My prayers are with you as well.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 AM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Best of luck Jack!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 682 Likes on 451 Posts

We've never met Jaak, but I sincerely wish you well!!!
Old 02-09-2014, 04:34 AM
Sir5n
Three Wheelin'

We've never met but my best thoughts and wishes.

Hope this helps in some way; My wife is going through this and is turning the corner around the initial procedures. We have a medical system to be very proud of. I'm confident that I'll be meeting you soon and sharing our passion of sports cars for a long time.

Best to you and a speedy return to full strength,
Keith
Old 02-09-2014, 05:54 AM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Hey Jaak: best of luck -. Sorry to hear the news. One thing I would say is that these days there has been huge progress and many people not only beat cancers but go on to normal lives,and I know a number of people personally who have done just that. The GTG will be waiting for you once you have gotten past the recovery!
Old 02-09-2014, 08:25 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We've never met but I wish you a speedy recovery Jaak.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:37 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I assume your surgeon is Pat Gullane. He is excellent. I work right across the road and will be thinking about you.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:50 AM
996_North
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Jaak, sorry to hear and I wish you all the best. My mother is going through oral cancer (tongue) as well right now, so I understand what you are going through. She went through the surgery and now getting treatment at Princess Margaret (across the road from TGH) and is now into radiation. For her, unfortunately it was caught too late and spread to lymph nodes, and a PET scan confirmed more challenges are on the horizon. If it would provide any comfort, and you want to chat about our experience, I would be more than happy to, just send me a PM...and fight ! Fight ! Fight.! You are in great hands at TGH.
Old 02-09-2014, 08:51 AM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

All the best to you and speedy recovery Jaak. I look forward to seeing you again at the GTG soon.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:38 AM
TJ Elliott
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaak,

You'll likely remember my son and I, we purchased your 951 a few years ago. Keep the faith! I was diagnosed with leukemia in 1988 and given a 15% chance of making it another 5 years. We were also told not to expect to have children. Well, you know the rest of the story. 26 years later and I'm enjoying life to the fullest tracking our cars with my son. Cancer can be beaten! I'll pray for you.

Terry

Quick Reply: Those three words