State Farm Canada GONE!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default State Farm Canada GONE!

State Farm just sold it's Canadian business to Desjardins

State Farm claims there would be no impact to the insurance rates but I've heard that Desjardins rates are a lot higher. Anyone on here insured with Desjardins?
Old 01-24-2014, 08:58 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Desjardins are the ones pushing for Ajusto, the car info gathering systems which they claim could lower
rates if you "behave". Coincidence?

This doesn't bode well for sports car owners.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:09 AM
mozsan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am insured with Desjardins, found them thru an online broker..Kanetix I think (no affil), and they were the cheapest at the time. And never got "pushed" for Ajusto, I inquired myself a few weeks back. Didn't like it though, I could only get 3-4% off while "disclosing" too many driving habits Mixed experience with Statefarm: when new to Canada they were the cheapest for a lot of people from my community including me, but realized that over the years they kept charging the same ( cheapest at the beginning) rate even after 3-4 years of faultless driving.....so I switched. Always go with an online broker at renewal, because ther will be always the odd company out there, eager to attract new business...
Old 01-25-2014, 11:12 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

We switched insurance for our vehicles to Desjardins a few years ago, they had good rates for good coverage. When the papers arrived we found the insurance was actually ScotiaBank.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM
Rev_2_8k
Racer

Got my notice in the mail from State Farm yesterday...

They were super cheap on my motorcycle insurance, let's hope Desjardins is equal or better. If not, time to start looking

Edit- Spoke with one of the owners and my broker, since being sold by its American counterpart, we'll be owned by a Canadian company. This could be okay if Desjardins follows our market better than previous owners. The transition is going to take 1-2 years, or so I'm told.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

Bad news for sport bike owners if they jack up rates to Desjardins levels. State Farm had the most affordable rates around for the under 30 crowd.

Looks like a lot of consolidation in the industry (intact bought a bunch of smaller co's as well). American providers are also starting to drift north (Allstate for instance) which could be a good thing if they rate risk on a company wide basis because they will be able to blend Canada around a much larger market down south. Not sure if that's how they do it though, for all I know each state could be siloed.

Quick Reply: State Farm Canada GONE!