Notices

Cayman 2014 Discounts at Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:49 PM
1way2rock
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cayman 2014 Discounts at Dealer

My friend is looking to buy a Cayman S 2014 what discounts can he expect to get.
He was offered free maintenance for three years and storage until spring for free and small discount for car they had at dealership.

Anyone`s help would be appreciated,

Thank You

Last edited by 1way2rock; 12-11-2013 at 08:00 PM. Reason: error
Old 12-12-2013, 12:17 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds pretty good!

Is the discount actually important, or is it just a way to feel like they're "getting a deal"? I understand that negotiation is an important part of buying products that don't have a distinct value, but a brand new car has a pretty definitive price. All the more power to your friend if he can squeeze more money out of the dealership, but I'm disappointed that dealers give up discounts so easily these days.

There are two sides to any sale: the seller's price and the customer's perceived value. Many sales professionals are quick to lower their sale price to meet the customer's perceived value, and brag about making the sale. The best sales people will focus on the value of the product to bring the customer's perceived value in-line with the sale price (or at least find a middle ground where both parties are happy). My opinion is that offering discounts is essentially admitting that your product isn't worth the price you're asking for it.

So back to the OP's question: your friend should try to get whatever he can out of the dealer (why wouldn't you) - but also needs to go into the negotiation with a clear idea of what the car's value is to him/her.

I am not in the auto industry, just wanted to share my point of view. I hope your friend enjoys their new car!

PS: Some auto brands have started using the word "retailer" as opposed to "dealership" in an effort to shift the culture of car buying away from the expected discounting and deal-making. I think it's interesting.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A buddy of mine just got a 2014 diesel
4% off list + some small perks, that was a super deal.
I believe margin is in the 8% range so a Cayman this time of year would be pretty good in the 5-6% range I would think.
Old 12-12-2013, 12:14 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

because it is a hot new model a few months ago they were not discounting at all.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:14 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Sounds pretty good!

Is the discount actually important, or is it just a way to feel like they're "getting a deal"? I understand that negotiation is an important part of buying products that don't have a distinct value, but a brand new car has a pretty definitive price. All the more power to your friend if he can squeeze more money out of the dealership, but I'm disappointed that dealers give up discounts so easily these days.

There are two sides to any sale: the seller's price and the customer's perceived value. Many sales professionals are quick to lower their sale price to meet the customer's perceived value, and brag about making the sale. The best sales people will focus on the value of the product to bring the customer's perceived value in-line with the sale price (or at least find a middle ground where both parties are happy). My opinion is that offering discounts is essentially admitting that your product isn't worth the price you're asking for it.

So back to the OP's question: your friend should try to get whatever he can out of the dealer (why wouldn't you) - but also needs to go into the negotiation with a clear idea of what the car's value is to him/her.

I am not in the auto industry, just wanted to share my point of view. I hope your friend enjoys their new car!

Couldn't agree with you more.

People seem to be more concerned with feeling like they got a deal when they do not appreciate the value of what they are purchasing.

I always liked the old saying " If you have to ask the price, you can't afford it."
Old 12-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

^ Not sure I agree, but if I was looking at a high end car at the end of the year I would have no problem offering 10 % from the sale price.
But I always deal in "cash only" when I buy.
Old 12-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 542 Likes on 409 Posts

I also only pay cash. however they make more money if you finance. I was told years ago to negotiate a price and tell them you will finance and at the last minute pay cash
Old 12-12-2013, 06:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Mumbles
^ Not sure I agree, but if I was looking at a high end car at the end of the year I would have no problem offering 10 % from the sale price.
But I always deal in "cash only" when I buy.
+2. I agree. Always shop around and negotiate or it'll cost you a bundle over time.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:17 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Sounds pretty good!

PS: Some auto brands have started using the word "retailer" as opposed to "dealership" in an effort to shift the culture of car buying away from the expected discounting and deal-making. I think it's interesting.
This is ridiculous. Of course the deal matters. The fact that the guy is shopping a Porsche, the value of the car is a given.

He should shop prices from at least three dealers and put one against the other. When he is satisfied that there is no money left on the table, pull the trigger. The extra savings can run in the thousands.

This is not shopping for a pair of shoes.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:45 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
This is ridiculous. Of course the deal matters. The fact that the guy is shopping a Porsche, the value of the car is a given.

He should shop prices from at least three dealers and put one against the other. When he is satisfied that there is no money left on the table, pull the trigger. The extra savings can run in the thousands.

This is not shopping for a pair of shoes.
Exactly, "the value of the car is a given". If you read my post, you will see that I agree as a consumer you should pinch every dollar that you can (why wouldn't you right?). My point however, is that people today always expect "a deal" and complain when they don't get discounts. Like you said, they know the value of the car, so at the end of the day, they should be willing to pay for it. If they a) don't see the value, or b)can't afford it without the discount, then they're shopping for the wrong car.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:51 PM
BIMMERMIKE
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

After sales service by sales person/dealership is never taken into account when buying a vehicle.
Squeeze every last dollar and expect the sales person/dealership to provide more after sale.
People(buyers) always wonder why a sales person is no longer in the business or leaves .
Old 12-13-2013, 01:10 PM
ansonintoronto
Racer

I believe the OP was requesting for "input" on what level of discount are available for the Cayman.

He did not ask for the philosophical input of whether this friend could afford the car or the pompous remark of "if you ask for the price, you can't afford it".......this would be the typical arrogance I would expect from a UCR response.

I ALWAYS ask for as much discount to drive the BEST deal I could get for ANYTHING. It is this mentality that has afforded me the opportunity to afford a Porsche and several other cars in the first place. Let's get off the high horse and tell the OP what is the typical discount on the Cayman RIGHT NOW on December 2013.

I believe every dealership has a good supply of '13 Caymans.....I would expect nothing less then 5-8% discount. If you are fixated on the 2014 model, then perhaps 3-5%. Keep in mind, the margins on Porsches (especially outfitted with options) are VERY high......let's not kid ourselves here. We collectively on this board are not driving locally built Honda Civics or Chevy Cruzs.
Old 12-13-2013, 02:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by BIMMERMIKE
After sales service by sales person/dealership is never taken into account when buying a vehicle.
Squeeze every last dollar and expect the sales person/dealership to provide more after sale.
People(buyers) always wonder why a sales person is no longer in the business or leaves .
I really don't see any value here. Prepaying for some hypothetical future service? Negotiate like heck, then keep doing it for service every time you need something.
Old 12-13-2013, 03:48 PM
ansonintoronto
Racer

AMEN to you Ronnie!

The BS meter is running on high for some of the folks here......geeeez louise!
Old 12-13-2013, 04:21 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 95 Posts

I think most of the money saved is in depreciation.

Wait a year or 2, someone will be bored with a 2014 Cayman, or it'll come off lease or something.....

Not sure if I will ever buy a new vehicle again.

Peter

Quick Reply: Cayman 2014 Discounts at Dealer