Notices

Driving through Algonguin Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 09:21 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts
Default Driving through Algonguin Park

During the season of the fall colours, DON'T. I did that drive on hwy 60 from Huntsville to Barry's Bay on Saturday and I'm still shaking my head. The spectacle of the colours must be included on tourist brochures overseas somewhere because of the numbers of rental cars and truly horrible drivers. Halfway into the park and having already endured several instances of cars traveling at 30 kms and people walking on the roadway I came across an Audi that pulled onto to the road from a left parking area and remained in the left lane even when presented with an approaching car. What was amazing is the Audi was travelling alongside a car in the right lane. I thought it was going to a disaster but the car finally got into the right lane. After following at a safe distance for 5 kms at speeds from 80 to 20 and everything in between, I finally had to break the silence with a ten second horn burst which hopefully conveyed ' drive it or park it'. After which the car did maintain a reasonable pace but with continuous brake lights on and finally it pulling into a parking area. It was an experience that I will avoid in future.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:58 PM
petee1997
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I drove from Ottawa to Toronto via Barry's Bay to Huntsville last Thursday.The temperature was 24C and not a cloud. I put the top down from Barry's Bay to Huntsville and it was a beautiful drive at 80 kph. I ran into some some traffic but it was still pleasant and the scenery was glorious.

I think week days are better than weekends.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:16 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

I think it probably is a weekend thing. Very heavy traffic in total confusion.
Old 10-07-2013, 03:34 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by petee1997
I drove from Ottawa to Toronto via Barry's Bay to Huntsville last Thursday.The temperature was 24C and not a cloud. I put the top down from Barry's Bay to Huntsville and it was a beautiful drive at 80 kph. I ran into some some traffic but it was still pleasant and the scenery was glorious.

I think week days are better than weekends.
Definitely a week-end thing, unfortunately.
Wife and I took plenty of weekday drives in that area without problems...but then, we're both retired now.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:35 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Jim,

Was the Audi a new white 2-door S5?

I was on Hwy 400 Sat morning to Barrie, two young stylishly dressed Asian young ladies, about 20+ in the front seats of the white S5, the car sat in the fast lane at 100 kph, wouldn't move over even when there were holes in the traffic in other lanes, and the brake lights would flash on and off ever so often although the car behind it wasn't even close and I was the second car back. I finally "blew" past her at 120 kph to the right and stayed at that speed in the middle lane.

A short time later I saw this Audi coming up fast behind me straddling the fast and middle lanes, 1/4 width of the car in the fast lane with the rest in the middle lane, the driver waited until two car lengths behind me to snap over into the fast lane, I had traffic to the right and didn't want to move to the fast lane in case the Audi driver did the same.

The Audi kept pulling ahead, but its brake lights still flashed on and off ever so often as if they saw cops ahead, but there were none.

Makes me wonder if the girls were doing a fall color drive to Algonquin Park.........
Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Holy cow. It was indeed a white S5. I didn't have a look at the occupants, but the driving sounds about right.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:59 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a haunch!! Prime example of too much of mommy/daddy's money and not enough brain cells......., what a waste of a car.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:37 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

It`s more dangerous in May-June when the deer & moose are all over the road.
I never take the car up there is the spring. Only the truck

Last edited by wc11; 10-07-2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:54 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

On that note. I drive up to South River on the new 11 and notice that between Sundridge and South River that both sides of the Hwy are fitted with tall critter fences. Every 3 to 400 m the fence is fitted with what looks like exit points, sort of like tall turnstiles. Also they built tunnels under the road to give critters a path across. That stretch of road on old hwy 11 was notorious for moose and several people met their end in collisions with the beasts. Wild animals I can understand but when people drive cars there is a reasonable expectation they would have at least basic understanding of the task at hand and that seemed lacking on Sunday.

Quick Reply: Driving through Algonguin Park