Notices

Powder coating

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Powder coating

Just thought I'd share if anyone needs any powder coating done. A friend of mine had his wheels on his M5 done by Bast Tire in Waterloo last year. They still look fantastic and had all 4 done for $360. If you do not want clear coat it is $309 for all for rims. Here is a youtube vid of the process

These guys will also have them done in 1 day. Drop of your car or rims in the morning and have them done by the end of the day.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:52 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does that price include curb-rash repair and dis-mounting / re-mounting / balancing of the tires?

Keep in mind that there was a thread here some time ago questioning if the temperature from heat baking process of powder coating may anneal/soften/reduce the strength of forged aluminum rims, don't know that's an accurate assessment or not.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Price includes minor rash repair/dis mounting/re mounting/ balancing.

As for the heat bake process this is the first time I have heard about it negatively affecting the wheels. I did read a few threads about people being concerned with how the heat may affect the wheels strength. I did not see anyone that had any problems after powder coating.

Anyone have any insight on this?
Old 07-08-2013, 08:57 PM
Benny771
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Powder coating requires heat 350-450 F.
That is not something to be worried about.

I will try this place next. Fireball coatings made a mess of everything i sent them.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:52 AM
kgoertz
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

I have been looking to replace my 19" wheels with 18" but my search for a set of chrome turbo twists (without any curb rash) has been unsuccessful. If Bast Tire can refinish them nicely I could probably get away with a rough set of non-chrome rims and repaint. And they are less than 5 minutes from my house :-)
Old 09-07-2013, 01:10 PM
997_Toronto
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I need to get my 19s powder coated black or a variant of black but waterloo is a trek for me from Toronto
Old 03-18-2016, 07:09 PM
Gmach
1st Gear

I just had a set of wheels done at Bast Tires and the finish was pretty disappointing. All orange peel looking. I wouldn't recommend them.
Old 03-19-2016, 12:37 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gmach
I just had a set of wheels done at Bast Tires and the finish was pretty disappointing. All orange peel looking. I wouldn't recommend them.
Pix?
Old 03-19-2016, 12:09 PM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gmach
I will have to agree. At first I liked the finish on my wheels but after looking at other rims that had been powder coated I was a bit disappointed. They were not overly bad but if you got really close and inspected them you could see an orange peel affect on them. The finish was smooth to the touch though. Not bad for the price. Looked good from 5 feet away.

I just recently dropped off a set of wheels at RORO designs in Paris Ontario for powder coating. They had a set of works rims in the shop and after seeing the finish it was much better than what I had done at Bast. The owner was familiar with Bast tire as he had work done by them in the past and he explained that they use a much more abrasive process when stripping the rims and that is what caused the "orange peel" look. RORO is a bit more pricey but from what I could see the finish was better than Bast tire.

I can post some pics once mine are done but that will be in about 5 weeks. He is quite busy right now.

Quick Reply: Powder coating