Notices

What is a good mortgage rate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 01:55 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 401 Posts

unless things have changed most mortgages allow 15% early prepayment each year and ability to change to biweekly and I think you also can double your payments at any time (this from memory)
fyi; I also paid off my mortgage years ago then bought a more expensive house so now I owe some.
btw if you take mortgage to fund your investments you can write off the interest using the smith manoeuvre
Old 07-03-2013, 02:01 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

answer is 5 year fixed 2.8-2.9 % in my opinion is a good rate today. if new mortgage get them to cover appraisal and legal (not sure if they will do this today)

btw Hoffa answered in the very first reply to this thread

Last edited by Turbodan; 07-03-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 07-03-2013, 04:01 PM
BT ZR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=911 Rod;10581338]Normally important questions like this go to my hockey buddies. lol

I'm looking at a 5 year closed variable mortgage and have been offered 2.6%

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rod[/QUO

Closed variable? your trapped when rates start to rise. Depends where you are in life and risk tolerance. Rates are going up , no secret there, so your variable will increase over time. if you are tight now you will be worse later. if you are doing just fine , why not opt for a fixed rate and have piece of mind. Or if you have enough dough in your rrsp give yourself a mortgage.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:15 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
answer is 5 year fixed 2.8-2.9 % in my opinion is a good rate today. if new mortgage get them to cover appraisal and legal (not sure if they will do this today)

btw Hoffa answered in the very first reply to this thread
Sounds like my 2.79% 5 year fixed is pretty good.

Yes Hoffa did answer in the first reply. My apologies.

[QUOTE=BT ZR1;10584510]
Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Normally important questions like this go to my hockey buddies. lol

I'm looking at a 5 year closed variable mortgage and have been offered 2.6%

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Rod[/QUO

Closed variable? your trapped when rates start to rise. Depends where you are in life and risk tolerance. Rates are going up , no secret there, so your variable will increase over time. if you are tight now you will be worse later. if you are doing just fine , why not opt for a fixed rate and have piece of mind. Or if you have enough dough in your rrsp give yourself a mortgage.
I'm not tight now or will be if the rates go up, but a piece of mind is good and I spend sooo much money on tires I shouldn't be wasteful
Old 07-03-2013, 05:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

with a variable you are not trapped, you can lock the rate any time.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:12 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 304 Likes on 208 Posts

That is correct, but I don't think the negotiation on a rate will be in your favour at that time as it is now.
Old 07-04-2013, 01:10 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
I'm not sure about this. Under 3% is really cheap money. If your house was paid off, then you've got several hundred thousand dollars sitting not doing anything for you, when it could be earning 5%+ in investments.

I speak from experience. Our house is paid off, and sometimes I think it might be a good idea to take a $100k mortgage at 2.5% and invest it at 5%.
Here's how we did it,...

1. Sell your investments high (in on Nortel at $2, out at $110), then pay off your house.

2. Borrow against your house (secured LOC / HELOC) at prime, and then buy some safe investments - cdn banks etc)

3. Write off 40% of the cost of the loan, cause its now an investment loan.

4. Get out
Old 07-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Step one is pretty much legalized gambling, you got lucky and that's fine but next time or the next person trying this might not be so lucky.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:45 AM
BT ZR1
Racer

Sure you can but with zero leverage. You pay the posted rate. Like I said, trapped when rates start to rise.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:21 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

In the end, the question "What is a good mortgage rate" is moot.

Unless you can get 0% from a family member, the lowest possible at the time of application/or renewal obviously from any institution.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Luiz
1st Gear

I guess, now the best mortgage rate can be said as 1.99%, but it looks like history is repeating. There was a similar situation around 7 to 8 years back when the rates were lowered just to attract more people to take up mortgage loans. Following the same many private financial solution services like Safebridge Financial Group, Ontario GTA, have decreased their mortgage rates to a much lower scale. But the question is whether it will remain the same for a longer period or not.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:13 PM
BeachBoy
Racer

Be careful with that 1.99 as you are bound to this lender as long as you own the home, meaning unless you sell it you can't ge tout of it...

And since it's a variable, their prime -1.01% might be prime +2% later, who knows!
Old 05-14-2014, 12:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,140 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Step one is pretty much legalized gambling, you got lucky and that's fine but next time or the next person trying this might not be so lucky.
Had a customer a year from retirement ... a nice indian fellow with a large family living in a large home ..
He Mortgaged it to the hilt to buy Nortel stocks as he wanted to retire early ... things hit the fan and he lost it all excpet a few thousand dollars ... he felt soo bad he bought his whole family tickets to go back to India for a nice vacation .. the next day Canada 3,000 went **** up ...

he asked what i thought of all that .. i thought about it for a bit and replied ..
"take one rather large step back away from me please " ..

sad but true...
Old 05-14-2014, 04:07 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

cannot agree more with iceman + imo000.

re nortel (or the market in general), it's a combination of a blind luck/seasoned discipline/futures insight (or insider info)... not to mention housing is in a different cost stratosphere since nortel was 110$. hats off to the gentleman that did it but i don't know many others that did.

Originally Posted by theiceman
Had a customer a year from retirement ... a nice indian fellow with a large family living in a large home ..
He Mortgaged it to the hilt to buy Nortel stocks as he wanted to retire early ... things hit the fan and he lost it all excpet a few thousand dollars ... he felt soo bad he bought his whole family tickets to go back to India for a nice vacation .. the next day Canada 3,000 went **** up ...

he asked what i thought of all that .. i thought about it for a bit and replied ..
"take one rather large step back away from me please " ..

sad but true...
Originally Posted by Imo000
Old 05-14-2014, 04:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

1.99% crazy. i guess that's the real reason for Toronto all time high housing costs.

Originally Posted by Luiz
I guess, now the best mortgage rate can be said as 1.99%, but it looks like history is repeating. There was a similar situation around 7 to 8 years back when the rates were lowered just to attract more people to take up mortgage loans. Following the same many private financial solution services like Safebridge Financial Group, Ontario GTA, have decreased their mortgage rates to a much lower scale. But the question is whether it will remain the same for a longer period or not.

Quick Reply: What is a good mortgage rate?