tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 02:28 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts
Default tire balancing

ok this one drives me crazy. Last Sunday I managed to swap out my winter tires on my wifes mercedes. I had a set that I used in BC complete with rims that went off the car last winter and onto the moving truck to Ontario.
When I took them off the set was perfectly balanced, no issues. These are 2 season used Yoko's.
So I mount them and there is all shorts of vibration over 80kph. Off to Canadian tire for balancing, the tech told me that the weights had fallen off.
ok fair enough, he said now all balanced, I drive the car, same deal.
Just went back to them to fix the issue. Drive it off same deal.

So either they are moron's and dont know what's what, or there is something wrong with the set. The only thing I can think is that when we moved, the truck went through some of the coldest winter places with temps constantly in the -30C range. I dont know if that deformed permanently the rubber? Can this be it?

Welcome your thoughts before I go to another shop and plunge another 85 bucks
Old 06-16-2013, 03:12 PM
gtihop
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the rims hubcentric or lugcentric, and are the oem rims?
Old 06-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

How were they stored? Stacked up on their sides
Old 06-16-2013, 06:27 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gtihop
are the rims hubcentric or lugcentric, and are the oem rims?
OEM style, aftermarket, aluminum one piece. The car is a 97 E320

Originally Posted by Imo000
How were they stored? Stacked up on their sides
stacked up with cardboard dividers on each tire. I have been storing this way my tires for a couple of decades without issues. But they were transported stacked up without the dividers and i'm not sure if the were moved and when from where they were originally loaded. I did not see them coming out of the track but i did notice they had moved our stuff around. The track load was shared.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:50 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Sorry but your sure they weren't mixed?
Same side only. Front to back.
No switching left to right?
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wc11
Sorry but your sure they weren't mixed?
Same side only. Front to back.
No switching left to right?
No mixing and the tires are identical size 215/55/16 Yoko Advan S4
Old 06-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 515 Likes on 384 Posts

if the rubber was damaged the tire balance machine would show this, same with any damage to the wheel. are you certain that the winter set did not have the same issue? could you have hit a pothole and damaged the suspension at some point in between? I would try the winters again.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Have you checked the tire pressure? Assuming yes, but might as well start with the cheapest and work up from there.

If you have the time,
put the snows back on, check for vibration, if none then mount the summers two at a time to narrow down the problem tire.

But I'm thinking if you have a noticeable vibration below 80kph your gonna be spending money on something. Time to find a reputable tire shop.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:42 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Simply Tire with their Hunter Road Force balancing machine. Owned by a car enthusiast who has helped Rennlisters in the past with a tire group buy.
They are superb.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:06 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Is the mating surface of the rim or the spindle smooth and free of any corrosion?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Turbodan
if the rubber was damaged the tire balance machine would show this, same with any damage to the wheel. are you certain that the winter set did not have the same issue? could you have hit a pothole and damaged the suspension at some point in between? I would try the winters again.
Yeap, the winters were straight and true. It only started when I swapped the rims/tires...

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Have you checked the tire pressure? Assuming yes, but might as well start with the cheapest and work up from there.

If you have the time,
put the snows back on, check for vibration, if none then mount the summers two at a time to narrow down the problem tire.

But I'm thinking if you have a noticeable vibration below 80kph your gonna be spending money on something. Time to find a reputable tire shop.
Yes the tire pressures I actually did them myself before I mounted them on the car. I did the tire change, then drove the car only to experience the vibrations.

Originally Posted by rideau
Simply Tire with their Hunter Road Force balancing machine. Owned by a car enthusiast who has helped Rennlisters in the past with a tire group buy.
They are superb.
Thanks, I will give them a call.

Originally Posted by Imo000
Is the mating surface of the rim or the spindle smooth and free of any corrosion?
Good question. I have not checked that. The hats have some corrosion, but I had done them last year so its not a lot.

Thanks guys for your advise, I just broke my foot, otherwise i would have mounted back the winters to double check. probably a shop that knows what they are doing will be the next step...
Old 06-25-2013, 11:45 AM
atr911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rubber runout will only show if they're using a diagnostic balancer (road force, sonar, laser)

Some of the larger sizes are hard to balance. Info that would help would be: How many OZ of weights were used and how many places do you find sticky weights on the rim? There should just be one strip at the inside, and one on the outside. Also, did they show you that the wheels balanced to zero?
Old 07-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Koenig-Specials 928
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Take it to RNJ Tire in Pickering. Paul or his son Craig will spin and balance each wheel individually while it is on the car. This will identify the culprit wheel assembly (tire+rim+rotor). He's been in the business for over 40 years and deals with lots of hp cars

Last edited by Koenig-Specials 928; 07-31-2013 at 08:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-02-2013, 10:26 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by hessank
Take it to RNJ Tire in Pickering. Paul or his son Craig will spin and balance each wheel individually while it is on the car. This will identify the culprit wheel assembly (tire+rim+rotor). He's been in the business for over 40 years and deals with lots of hp cars
I gave them a call yesterday but they were too busy. I went with a recommendation from another thread to Tire23 in Mississauga. I got to give props to these guys. FINALLY someone confirmed what I thought and one tire is the problem, but their balancing almost cured the issue 100% despite that tire. They too use the road force and did things right. I will just ride out the season and replace at least 2 tires for the next one.

Previously tried: Canadian tire ( twice) a small shop in Burlington and Simply tire which was recommended on this thread without success.

I was especially disappointed with Simply Tire as they too use the road force Hunter, but not only they did not cure the issue, nor identified the problem, but set all my tires at the completely wrong pressures. Maybe they had a bad day or they put an apprentice to do my car which is a beat up old Mercedes. In fairness I called them and told them and they invited me back to redo, but in my book you do things right the first time to earn my business and I did not bother.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Came across this recent review on Tire23 http://www.myg37.com/forums/canada/2...ssissauga.html, almost went there to try them but will likely stick to my regular Road Force balancing shop (Young's Tires) in Brampton.

Quick Reply: tire balancing