carproof question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:25 AM
dombeau
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carproof question

Hi fellows,

I am planning to buy a 993tt but found this on the carproof... anybody can help with the technical translation?

Incident Date Incident Location Type of Record Detail/Initial Point of Impact Odometer
9/28/1999 Canada Property Damage to insured vehicle, constituting a total loss when OEF 43/ NBEF 43R or 19A is applicable Amount$10,129.00

thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 AM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I think I'd kept on looking after reading the "Damage to insured vehicle, consiituting a total loss."

Any particular reason you are still interested?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:10 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aviography
I think I'd kept on looking after reading the "Damage to insured vehicle, consiituting a total loss."

Any particular reason you are still interested?
Price? Sometimes total loss does not mean structural damage...and at 10k damage for a total loss?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman
Price? Sometimes total loss does not mean structural damage...and at 10k damage for a total loss?
True, however I understand the car/VIN can then only be registered as salvaged/rebuilt after a "total loss", is that correct? And I also read recently here on Rennlist Canada that someone was unable to get his formerlly salvage/rebuilt title car insured after a few years of stoarage even though the same car was insureable prior to the long term storage.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:23 PM
dombeau
Instructor

10 000$ in 1999 on a 150k$ car can be a stolen set of wheels or something small. Is total loss regarding today value?

Is there anybody who can access insurance claim in BC?
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 54 Posts

Means when this vehicle was written off, it was carrying either a depreciation waiver or an agreed value endorsement.

Originally Posted by 69gaugeman

The requirements may have changed since 1999 for reporting but the insurance company had an estimate for $10k. How would this write-off the vehicle? The vehicle could have been stolen, the owner paid out and then it was recovered with that amount of damages; or that is the amount of damages covered by insurance and there was unrelated damages that resulted in a lower payout; and/or insurance company wrote it off with special circumstances for client ( they might have sold salvage for an increased rate to make the loss)

If a car is fixed correct and a good deal lots of people will buy car and be safe. However keep in mind, corners can be cut in repairs and substandard parts could have been used. Do your due diligence and have repair inspected if interested. See if seller can get hands on estimate.

The car will also always have this status with it. If you plan on never selling it, that may not bother you, but when you go to sell, your buyer will ask this same question. This limits your market or drops your price.

Personally I would not buy a car with a brand on it. Would have to be next to free and a great repair to tempt me what with all the risks and hassles associated with it.

Good luck.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Originally Posted by dombeau
10 000$ in 1999 on a 150k$ car can be a stolen set of wheels or something small. Is total loss regarding today value?

Is there anybody who can access insurance claim in BC?
BC? I would assume loss was in the East as report says OEF ( ontario endorsement form ) or NBEF ( New Brunswick endorsement form ).
Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM
dombeau
Instructor

There is an insurance claim only... no accident or damages estimate on the report

here it is

http://reports.carproof.com/main?id=...d#Claim-192838
Old 04-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Freakhead
Racer

Originally Posted by aviography

True, however I understand the car/VIN can then only be registered as salvaged/rebuilt after a "total loss", is that correct? And I also read recently here on Rennlist Canada that someone was unable to get his formerlly salvage/rebuilt title car insured after a few years of stoarage even though the same car was insureable prior to the long term storage.
Depends on region of Canada but generally when an insurance company pays out as a total loss, you are correct the vehicle would have some form of branding.

The other situation you refer to is quite interesting. Once a vehicle has an active branded status it should stay that way and would with continuos registration. Perhaps after registration was stopped and then started, the vehicle had to undergo an updated inspection and it failed due to newer rules. Just speculation.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM
dombeau
Instructor

The first owner was in BC and now we are dealing in Quebec. There is no clues left from the claim... I already called my insurance company and they cover the car with the VIN I gave them...
Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 PM
Freakhead
Racer

There is an insurance claim only... no accident or damages estimate on the report

here it is

http://reports.carproof.com/main?id=...d#Claim-192838
Well that shows the idea of stolen and recovered is out.

It does seem to indicate that the loss was in Ontario. On my iPad the line by Ontario has a pending bar so wonder what it shows there.

The amount is low for "total loss", however in 1999 there was no formal car proof reporting so this based on historic records, so either amount is an error or the term might have been used incorrectly.

I believe, not sure, that when vehicles are written off in Ontario an insurance company has to provide estimate to DMV, though I don't know if that was a requirement in 1999. Check with them.

Lastly, I see it has been registered many many times, so presumably it has an active registration. Did you physically see it? If so is it normal or does it have a brand? If normal, I am guessing it was a repair and not a real total but that will always be on the record. If it does have the brand, it was a total for some reason.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 PM
Freakhead
Racer

The first owner was in BC and now we are dealing in Quebec. There is no clues left from the claim... I already called my insurance company and they cover the car with the VIN I gave them...
If it has a 'normal' registration then get inspected , if no problems then decide what that line on a car proof report is worth to you now AND when you go to sell. I think I read somewhere that someone found a mistake on car proof and had it 'corrected' ( someone selling a car in marketplace recently...I just joined ) but that process is foreign to me.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:20 PM
dombeau
Instructor

Originally Posted by Freakhead

Lastly, I see it has been registered many many times, so presumably it has an active registration. Did you physically see it? If so is it normal or does it have a brand? If normal, I am guessing it was a repair and not a real total but that will always be on the record. If it does have the brand, it was a total for some reason.
I saw the car but the registration paper... not... On a registration it shows?
Old 04-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Freakhead
Racer

I saw the car but the registration paper... not... On a registration it shows?
In Alberta I can say yes for sure it is on registration when there is a salvage brand.

I believe it is same everywhere. From Ontario website it appears true but check with your local DMV.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ding/faq.shtml
Old 04-14-2013, 01:29 PM
dombeau
Instructor

it's weird.. Carfax is clean and shows registration as normal. Carproof as that claim and also show registration as normal.... ????

Quick Reply: carproof question