Notices

Porsche of London Presents: Exciting Cayman Pre-Release Track Day, April 19th!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:31 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think it was underpowered, but it was soaking wet. The fact it could put the power down in those conditions, and hit 180 on that little back straight with a couple of gears to go actually impressed me. It is not a 425 hp turbo that kicks you in the chest, but I am guessing that if anything it has more than enough power, but it is delivered intelligently enough that you don't appreciate what you have.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:08 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharker
I don't think it was underpowered, but it was soaking wet. The fact it could put the power down in those conditions, and hit 180 on that little back straight with a couple of gears to go actually impressed me. It is not a 425 hp turbo that kicks you in the chest, but I am guessing that if anything it has more than enough power, but it is delivered intelligently enough that you don't appreciate what you have.
Well said. Would love to repeat the day in the dry now!
Old 04-21-2013, 02:21 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sharker, pretty sure that was 9six4 and I in front of you in the vid. Given the braking points and smooth steering inputs, it wasn't me driving that time around!
Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cash-man
Do you feel that the S is 'underpowered'? Reading other threads, some folks are complaining about power. I have to think that they have NOT driven the new S, though I could be wrong.

The experience would be completely different in a manual, but we felt that the power was great. Great relative value compared in the current lineup. $90k for a loaded S, or $140k for a loaded 991S.... hmmm. Decisions, decisions.
Personally, I felt the standard car was more fun than the 'S'. For a road car, you would never need anything more. However, for track days, I will wait for an 'R' version... or even an 'RS' or CS version (likely not to ever happen)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by The Stig
Sharker, pretty sure that was 9six4 and I in front of you in the vid. Given the braking points and smooth steering inputs, it wasn't me driving that time around!
Yep, it was you guys.. Notice I did not post the spray of gravel we had to drive through! I think it was you driving though, because if it was you that had the, ahem, off road excursion, then you were driving when I was passenger. Was very amusing that Jonathan did not miss anything lol
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM
The Stig
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I was testing the PSM. Honest.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

I think we were all fortunate it was effective. I know my co-driver would have been in the weeds more than a few times if it had not tucked the back end back in for him :O
Old 04-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

I agree with cash-man 100%. Exactly my review of the 2 cars. They drove very similar on the track until you go sport plus.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:22 PM
PorscheAntoine
Intermediate

Hello everyone!

I apologize for not being present the past week on the board! It was a hectic end to the month to say the least. I am glad everyone who came had a great experience. The Cayman/Cayman S really impressed as a true driver's sports car even in the adverse weather conditions! Very Nimble and Fun; I think Porsche really hit a home run with this car in terms of a performance package, the looks, and the LIGHT WEIGHT. I was impressed most by the stability management and balance of the new 981 Cayman. It is unobtrusive while keeping you completely safe; a true evolution to technology that once upon a time would abruptly cut your power while trying to navigate through a corner. A truly fun day and experience for me and I am happy for all the positive feedback!

Here are some pictures from the event:

Old 05-01-2013, 05:34 PM
PorscheAntoine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sharker
Well Organized, Very Informative, Phenominal cars.. Thanks to the team. Even in the pouring rain, the Cayman S was glued to the track in corners!
Awesome fun and great people to boot.

Steve[/QUOTE]

Hey Steve thank you for the positive feedback!

Originally Posted by palmpalm
I initially spoke with Antoine by PM and was told I had a spot in this event. He said I would get a confirmation email. I never got the email and so I sent him a PM asking what's up and he never replied. I don't know what happened but I am disappointed.

I really wanted to go to this and even booked the whole day off work for it.
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
I truly apologize that somehow our confirmation email was not received. I somehow missed some PMs prior to the event as my Rennlist mailbox was overloaded. You were on my list of attendance; and I gave the phone number you had sent me a call and left a voicemail for you to confirm your spot, as well as let you know about an 09 911 Turbo Cabriolet I just got into stock. Again I do apologize regarding your miss of contact from us. If you would like to have a comprehensive test drive of the Cayman I will DEFINITELY be able to arrange that for you. Please let me know!

Originally Posted by cash-man
Alex, my father in law, and I were fortunate enough to attend the Porsche of London Cayman Pre-Release Track Day. It was a fantastic event.

I am trying to find the right words to sum up the overall experience of the new Cayman, and I just can’t relate how phenomenal the new model is. Stunning! I wouldn’t have previously considered a Cayman, but the car has made me a convert. It is THAT good!
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review! I am very glad the Cayman made you a believer. I was also impressed by the amount of laps/track time we all got. Very happy with how that turned out. Stay in touch!

Originally Posted by The Stig
Very well could have been you with a username like the Stig ! How did you enjoy the day and the car?
Old 05-01-2013, 09:53 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

I also sent you PMs here. I never got a voicemail and I double-checked the number I gave you, it is correct. As for driving the car, I already took a 2014 Cayman S for a nice long drive courtesy of Pfaff.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM
PorscheAntoine
Intermediate

Originally Posted by palmpalm
I also sent you PMs here. I never got a voicemail and I double-checked the number I gave you, it is correct. As for driving the car, I already took a 2014 Cayman S for a nice long drive courtesy of Pfaff.
Again I do apologize, I have no idea how it was missed; I tried to stay as much in contact with my attendees as possible and did call most of them. I also gave all the e-mails to reception for confirmation. I did personally make the call but I guess we were playing a little bit of phone tag. I am happy you got a chance to drive the car at our sister store though! let me know if there is anything at all I can do further for you.

Quick Reply: Porsche of London Presents: Exciting Cayman Pre-Release Track Day, April 19th!