Notices

Porsche of London Presents: Exciting Cayman Pre-Release Track Day, April 19th!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for such a great day! even with the rain in the morning, the track dried a bit by noon. Amazing cars! Thanks Antoine and Porsche London for the invite!
Old 04-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great day even with the rain! That new Cayman S is a little go kart

Awesome fun and great people to boot.

Steve
Old 04-21-2013, 01:09 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

I initially spoke with Antoine by PM and was told I had a spot in this event. He said I would get a confirmation email. I never got the email and so I sent him a PM asking what's up and he never replied. I don't know what happened but I am disappointed.

I really wanted to go to this and even booked the whole day off work for it.
I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:13 AM
Skeptikal12
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

^ Thats like Pfaff, sending out Cayman test drive invites then dragging you through a 'qualification' process before letting you (or in most cases not letting you) even sniff the car.

Was great that a few got to go though and am sure that it was a blast.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found it interesting how much they focused on why PDK was 'better'. Other than simplifying their options lists, what's their motivation for pushing PDK? No question PDK performs 'better'... but who really cares about 2/10ths of a second faster shifts at full throttle unless your at a track and getting paid to go as fast as you can! By that logic we should let our cars drive themselves to a pre programmed optimal line.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:54 AM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Alex, my father in law, and I were fortunate enough to attend the Porsche of London Cayman Pre-Release Track Day. It was a fantastic event.

I am trying to find the right words to sum up the overall experience of the new Cayman, and I just can’t relate how phenomenal the new model is. Stunning! I wouldn’t have previously considered a Cayman, but the car has made me a convert. It is THAT good!

Some more detail…

The Event
The Porsche of London crew put on a great event. I wasn’t sure what to expect, and would have been content with a few laps around the track. We were in for much more than that!

The weather was lousy. Cold, very windy, and lots of rain. It really was unpleasant jogging up to the building in this weather. Once inside, we signed some waivers, had a coffee and some pastries, and waited for the rest of the group to show up.

After an introduction by Chris Leavens and Antoine Wong of Porsche of London, we were given a briefing by our instructors, Kees Nierop and Jonathan Urlin (both professional drivers and instructors… google them if you like). The briefing was light, yet informative. Jonathan spoke about the new Cayman, what to expect for the time on track, safety, and that this was “NOT a race day”, but a chance to get the “full experience of the Cayman” in a “spirited test drive”.

The format was to be a lead-follow session, and the ability of the group would dictate how fast we advance with the Cayman. I was beginning to think that we would all be going around the track at a snail’s pace. “Walk before we can run”, Jonathan noted. We were to pair up with another driver, and would switch places every three laps. Total track time would end up being about 70-80 minutes, including driver changes (about 24 laps each if I recall correctly). Radio communication/instruction over our cup-holder walkies would be given by Jonathan and Kees in a Cayman and new Boxster. Jonathan led the Cayman group, and Kees led the S group.

In the Cayman and Cayman S
Alex and I decided to start in the Cayman, and save the S for the second half of the session. The cockpit really has a great feel to it. I did find some of the buttons behind the shifter a bit difficult to see and use easily. I’m sure that also has to do with my lack of familiarity with the new design. The seats (which were standard electrical sport seats I believe) were quite nice. Firm, comfortable, and supportive. We didn’t spend much time looking over the interior design and layout (likely due to the rain), so mirrors were adjusted, and we were off!

We got off to a pretty good clip on the first three laps, especially considering the endless rain. I was instantly and pleasantly surprised. The car stuck to the corners, and didn’t falter through the standing water on the track. Alex really enjoyed the grab bar on the door, as we were quickly flying around the track in the rain.

After the first three laps, we went straight to sport plus mode. It really made a world of difference in the temperament of the car. The shifts were much more aggressive, and the body stiffer. I’m sure that there are many more subtle changes, but I was too focused on my driving to notice them. PSM (Porsche Stability Management, or Please Save Me according to Kees) did intervene on one overly aggressive corner. I was a little too early on the throttle, and PSM had us back in a straight line immediately. Not overly intrusive. A gentle nudge back in the right direction, and you are back in business.

After a dozen or so laps each, we moved to the Cayman S. The sound from the engine was raspier, and you could feel the bump in horsepower right away. It felt like the older, bigger, bad brother to the Cayman.

We drove through normal, sport, and sport plus modes (3 laps per, and a few extra in sport plus) to get a feel for how the car changes in each setting. Sport Plus is fantastic! I have never driven a PDK before, and wow! Love it! I’m a manual guy, but on a tight technical track like Grand Bend, the PDK was perfect. Sport Plus had us high revving in 2nd gear for most of the track, hitting 3 and 4 in the two straight sections. The lightening speed redline shifts were awesome! 2nd to 3rd throws you back in the seat. Alex and I were both surprised to be hitting 170kph on full throttle on the back, in the rain, through the puddles. The car cut right through it, and did NOT lose traction. In the rain. Did I mention the rain?

Overall, I would say that a base Cayman is much more car than what your average driver will ever require. That said, I can say confidently that most of us here on this forum would plop down the extra dough for the S, with Sport Plus. Sport Plus in the S was just a bloody riot! We both loved it.

The Cayman and Cayman S are really remarkable vehicles. I was just blown away by their performance, mainly the incredible grip and traction through the bends. Speechless!

Thank you to all of the staff, front line and behind the scenes, at Porsche of London. They really put on a great event! The car will sell itself.

The fleet (iPhone photos):

The track:
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Cashman, nice write up!

That Cayman S with PDK really got my dad and I thinking... it's that good.

Which group were you and Alex at?

Steve
Old 04-21-2013, 12:09 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rev_2_8k
Cashman, nice write up!

That Cayman S with PDK really got my dad and I thinking... it's that good.

Which group were you and Alex at?

Steve
We were in the 9am slot. Started as car 2 (lead car, cayman, us, cayman), and then moved to same spot in Cayman S.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Ok, missed you guys, was at 11:30.

Still can't get over how good the little S handles in the rain. No drama, no roll, just flat cornering.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:19 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

We both felt a bit dizzy afterwards.... i think from being a passenger.

You nailed it. No drama, just flat cornering. Through standing water at all.

Alex used to own a Shelby Cobra SVT Mustang GT 500 (long title.... not sure I got it right). We joked that it would not have made it around the first corner... or I joked anyway. He still loves that car
Old 04-21-2013, 12:23 PM
Rev_2_8k
Instructor

Haha yeah, I can imagine (my dad is a mustang guy).... lots of HP and rwd in rain =

That setup was perfect for cars around the 300hp range, excellent balance and not enough straights for a turbo/gt2 to stretch it's legs over the smaller sibling.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:42 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bad Video

I agree. Being the passenger got you a little queasy toward the end..

Here is a VERY POOR hand held video of my driving partner's first lap in the "S". Speed is deceptive, we were going faster than it appears.. back straight was 180+

That was Kees talking on the radio.. I can handle getting instructions from someone who has raced LeMans, 24 hours of Daytona, and won the 12 hours of Sebring outright in a GT car!

Old 04-21-2013, 12:51 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharker
Here is a VERY POOR hand held video of my driving partner's first lap in the "S". Speed is deceptive, we were going faster than it appears.. back straight was 180+
Are you kidding? Not even sure how you managed that video. It is very smooth considering! Do you have more video in Sport Plus mode?
Old 04-21-2013, 01:12 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

nope, sorry, was having a hard time holding on for that one.. when sport plus was in action, I had my feet braced on the firewall and deathgrip on the door handle
Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM
cash-man
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sharker
nope, sorry, was having a hard time holding on for that one.. when sport plus was in action, I had my feet braced on the firewall and deathgrip on the door handle
Do you feel that the S is 'underpowered'? Reading other threads, some folks are complaining about power. I have to think that they have NOT driven the new S, though I could be wrong.

The experience would be completely different in a manual, but we felt that the power was great. Great relative value compared in the current lineup. $90k for a loaded S, or $140k for a loaded 991S.... hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply: Porsche of London Presents: Exciting Cayman Pre-Release Track Day, April 19th!