Notices

Where to buy oil filter + crush gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:16 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Where to buy oil filter + crush gasket

I need a filter and crush gasket/washer for my first DIY oil change. I've found a few places to buy online but shipping doubles the cost of the filter. Can quality oil filters and a crush ring be purchased from CDN Tire or PartSource? The PartSource rep couldn't tell me what gasket I needed, but they carry Mann oil filters for ~$15 (opinions on this brand?)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:40 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Mann used to be OEM not sure if they are now. There have been many makers of this filter over the years for Porsche. The O ring (you call it a gasket) should be inside the box with the filter. FYI: Roll this O ring over the threads of the plastic filter housing - NOT stretching it over the threads, (and a light coating of engine oil on it). There are two grooves that this O ring 'could' fit into - the groove closest to the threads on the filter housing is the one you want. If you get this wrong and pop it into the next (second one) groove - you'll leak oil all over town until you correct this oversight. Ask me how I know this...

The crush ring is usually taped to the top of the box for your oil drain bolt (hex key), (18ft pounds torque). I buy my filters from indy's out here in the west end. I'd go back to PartSourse and ask to look inside the box to see if the O ring is inside. You can use the crush able oil drain washer again in an emergency (not optimum) but the torque settings are a little higher I've read if you do. I've seen two types - a copper type and a nickel type. I don't know why the change in material - probably cost.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:54 PM
zer026T
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info, always good to hear what to avoid based on other's unfortunate circumstances

By crush gasket I was referring to the drain plug gasket, I looked at the Mann filter today and saw the large O-ring taped inside... but the crush ring for the drain plug is where I'm lost. I was under the assumption this needed to be changed every time the oil was changed. You're saying it should be included in the drain plug box with makes me think I'm supposed to change the drain plug with every oil change also? I must be misunderstanding something
Old 02-28-2013, 10:39 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by zer026T
I was under the assumption this needed to be changed every time the oil was changed.
It does. You should*

But in an *emergency you can use it again (such as the time I go to use the new one and couldn't find it! Can't put oil back in without it on the bolt/ can't drive anywhere without oil!)

You're saying it should be included in the drain plug box with makes me think I'm supposed to change the drain plug with every oil change also? I must be misunderstanding something
Some outlets charge you for the washer - others include it in the price.

Make sure your pan is large enough for the drain - our cars have more oil in them then the Exxon Valdez... I re-cycle my oil through Mississauga's waste transfer stations where it's free to bring your old oil in.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:07 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I get my supplies form Sports Car Boutique
Old 03-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
I get my supplies form Sports Car Boutique
Yes you do
Old 03-03-2013, 12:17 PM
creaturecat
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this a trick question?
The Porsche dealers have these items in stock.
Get a Mahle filter(and two crush washers) and be done with it.

Quick Reply: Where to buy oil filter + crush gasket