3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Targa Newfoundland 2011

Old 02-10-2018, 12:43 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 331 Posts

bump...
thinking about doing Targa (maybe Fast Tour first time around?) in the Boxster...
love to hear any feedback/advice/experiences on the event...
TIA
Old 02-10-2018, 08:42 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by crooster
Anybody here done it, or considering doing it?
Love to go. Already have the cap!
Old 02-11-2018, 12:20 AM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It was a very good time and I would recommend it. I did the 2016 version, super fun!!!!

The roads are very rough, most road going Porsches would be able to do it, but you will need to baby them. I have a 2015 Cayman GTS and I wouldn't take that in the event, although someone brought a Huracan

I purchased a used 2012 Golf R to do the event, it's actually the perfect car for the fast tour or grand tour. Suspension has enough travel, not super expensive to fix, available parts, AWD, small and it's cheap enough. It's been a daily for our family since, however we are selling it (fair price comes with Terratrip, fire extinguisher and extra wheel if anyone is interested PM me). It has done Targa once without any issues, and I jumped the bridge...

I did a few videos on my channel that will give you a taste of the event.

I believe the event cost me around $15k outside of car equipment as that is the most common asked question. It was also quite a bit of work, but worth it.

I am considering doing this event in a few years in my Subaru Race Car, however business in September is actually pretty busy now. We'll see, but I'd love to do it again.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:32 AM
Jonathon Rolstin
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Chico great video! This is on my list for sure. I would love to take my SC... but seeing that Golf R looks like a blast!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:27 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by chicos
It was a very good time and I would recommend it. I did the 2016 version, super fun!!!!

The roads are very rough, most road going Porsches would be able to do it, but you will need to baby them. I have a 2015 Cayman GTS and I wouldn't take that in the event, although someone brought a Huracan

I purchased a used 2012 Golf R to do the event, it's actually the perfect car for the fast tour or grand tour. Suspension has enough travel, not super expensive to fix, available parts, AWD, small and it's cheap enough. It's been a daily for our family since, however we are selling it (fair price comes with Terratrip, fire extinguisher and extra wheel if anyone is interested PM me). It has done Targa once without any issues, and I jumped the bridge...

I did a few videos on my channel that will give you a taste of the event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIlOR6O--C0&t=3s

I believe the event cost me around $15k outside of car equipment as that is the most common asked question. It was also quite a bit of work, but worth it.

I am considering doing this event in a few years in my Subaru Race Car, however business in September is actually pretty busy now. We'll see, but I'd love to do it again.
That's great! Now a Macan Turbo would just Monster that place!
Old 02-13-2018, 02:25 PM
chicos
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LastMezger
That's great! Now a Macan Turbo would just Monster that place!
Yes actually not a bad car for this event! Just rather have something less expensive if it was me.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:39 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by chicos
Yes actually not a bad car for this event! Just rather have something less expensive if it was me.
Wait a couple of years. The Macan used prices will start to drop off a cliff like the Cayenne before them.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:14 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

Id like to do it in a near feature with my dad

Im currently rebuilding a subaru sti 2010 with a blown engine.

I think it could be a good car for that.

I have a good cage builder, put a new suspension and i could be good to go!
Old 02-27-2018, 08:05 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

I have 10 of them under my belt. (3 of them in a 997 GT3RS)

I would recommend going full targa. Roll cage, fire suits and harnesses. You can drive at your comfort level and have a blast competing.
The touring class is not my thing as precision rallys are too much math and number for me. lol

fast tour is a wine and cheese.... if you have any spirit, you will want to compete with the full cage guys.....

If doing it once, do it right.

If you have a full cage track car, then use it. Change suspension if you can. And adjust ride height.

Some folks buy beaters or cage their old street cars... disposables.

Im looking to do it again maybe next year. My GT4 clubsport will be perfect for it.
Would love to have some cayman competiton!

Old 02-28-2018, 03:48 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

It use to be a good event,but when it went from "Fastest driver wins" to "Who ever buys the fastest car wins" in 2010.......its become a bit lame IMHO.
Old 03-01-2018, 01:14 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TargaPaul
It use to be a good event,but when it went from "Fastest driver wins" to "Who ever buys the fastest car wins" in 2010.......its become a bit lame IMHO.
takes more then just a fast car.
5 days of competitive stages with little to no error or mechanical break down is no cake walk.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:46 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
takes more then just a fast car.
5 days of competitive stages with little to no error or mechanical break down is no cake walk.
I never said its a cake walk.......its still the same or similar stages and roads......and thats not the lame part.

I've only ran it 3 times, however I've worked it every year from the beginning to 2010. The event has gone from 60-80 cars per year to about 30 cars per, there use to be pro drivers and pro rally teams competing......all gone, it use to take newbies 2 or 3 tries just to finish ALL the stages.......for the last few years a newbie has "won" the event every year. There use to one overall winner........now there is several class winners.

The quality of the competition has changed.....
Old 03-01-2018, 02:37 PM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TargaPaul
I never said its a cake walk.......its still the same or similar stages and roads......and thats not the lame part.

I've only ran it 3 times, however I've worked it every year from the beginning to 2010. The event has gone from 60-80 cars per year to about 30 cars per, there use to be pro drivers and pro rally teams competing......all gone, it use to take newbies 2 or 3 tries just to finish ALL the stages.......for the last few years a newbie has "won" the event every year. There use to one overall winner........now there is several class winners.

The quality of the competition has changed.....
I agree the competition has changed although having the fastest car is not the issue.
2011 was the last big year during their 10 anniversary.
The competition has softened since then which is why I haven’t been back.

The event needs a cash purse to attract a larger field of drivers.
It could be one of the best chit shows with money involved.

i would like to see a GT4 clubsport class like that of Pike’s Peak.
Old 03-09-2018, 01:50 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by tcsracing1
I agree the competition has changed although having the fastest car is not the issue.2011 was the last big year during their 10 anniversary.The competition has softened since then which is why I haven’t been back.

I don't know......I think they had the right combination to get a good variety of cars and drivers......but then maybe they tried to focus more on the "bull run" type of competitor than the more serious competitor????

I'd sooner see an old BMW or Porsche driven at 10/10ths on every stage........than a modern Subaru driven at 8/10ths. And according to the number of entries........and the number of fans at the events the last few years......I think so would a lot of other people.

Quick Reply: Targa Newfoundland