Notices

OT: family road trip to Florida from Waterloo.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 07:49 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
jet blue flys out of buffalo direct for $206 return each including tax
Good to know. I was pricing SouthWest - we've flown with them a few times, and really like that they include baggage in their price (really a plus when flying to denver for a family ski trip).... We got $1031 from BUF to MCO(Orlando) for the 4 of us.... might be a couple of dollars added for extra fees, but overall it's good.

I'm swaying against driving down.... of course now, my 10.0yr old is wanting to take the q7.....

Still researching....

P
Old 01-07-2013, 07:53 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Hey.Isn't there some train service where you can stick your vehicle on and ride down from the DC area?

P
Old 01-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chimcu
did it once.. it's brutal.. especially on the way back.. Unless you want to see the US of A then I suggest you bit the bullet and fly. It's a vacation, might as well splurge a little
+1 on this. Not worth using 4 days driving unless you are planning to see more of the US enroute.

I would say don't do it but if you do.....Bring a DVD player and plenty of DVDs for the kids. A cooler of ice and drinks in the trunk will save you time and money.

Good Luck.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PS. Don't forget to add a prepaid travel package to your cell phone. Roaming is a rip off!!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:01 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Wife and I did the drive back before kids, when we had more time than money, swore we'd never do it again. It's not that were against road trips as we spent two weeks around the east coast, also driven TO to Vancouver. Down to Orlando was just painful, and that was in good weather. Ultimately, it depends on what you and the family want from your vacation....Enjoy
Old 01-07-2013, 10:58 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 140 Likes on 69 Posts

Just did this trip in October with a four month old LOL Driving down via PA, WV, V, North Carolina etc was a nice drive in the Fall colours were in full effect the way back using 75 North thru Detroit was brutal and boring as hell! We did it because my company was paying the gas bill (attending 1 week work conf + 1 week vacation) The 4 month old was amazing on the trip, we got lucky.

Over 3 weeks drive, 2 weeks or less fly from Buffalo.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Also, regardless how fast you are driving, with kids, at the end, you won't do much better than 100 km/h.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:36 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pete, driving to Florida isn't for everyone, Were Disney Members and have made the trip probably a couple dozen times. My kids have been seasoned travelers from babes. If you have never done long trips with the kids then you need to do some what if plans, so booking the hotels on your first trip may not be the best way, just look for Holliday Inns you'll be fine. I would suggest the I75 route if it is your first long trip it has the most hotels and interesting stops, the I79/I77/I26/I95/I4 route has less attractions and hotels.

Originally Posted by AM993
We have driven from Toronto to Naples, FL (2400 km one way) several time and will do it again. Last time (March break 2012), we left at 2:00am after a (short) night. The kids (11 and 8) transitioned from bed to SUV to finish their night. We drove for 16 hours to Savannah, GA. It was a breeze. Kids had a stock of DVDs to watch and my wife and I alternated the drive every 3 hours or so. We could have finished the trip (8 hours) the next day but decided to stop in Orlando (4.5 hours from Savannah) for a day and a bit. The journey is half the fun
PS: follow Christien's advice and book your overnight stay(s) in decent hotels for a good rest
+1 All great advice!

Originally Posted by Imo000
+1000. If you and the kids are not used to 10hr/day drives, this will be hell. Also, I don't think you'll be able to pull it off for only $400 of diesel. Going through the mountains with a fully loaded large SUV will guzzle a lot of heating oil.
It should... my 540 Touring with a V8 gas engine eats ~$520 to Orland/Miami and back.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:41 PM
6speedken
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just came back from Ft-Lauder dale ,left home 24th came back 1st .. I have 2kids 17and 14 ..would I do it again ..yes but only once a year ..how do I convince my 2 teenagers to shut up in the car , I tell them money we save from flying , they can go and spend half of it at Sawgrass mall , win win... BTW try to sleep at bestwestern or Holiday inn , they have hot breakfast
Old 01-08-2013, 12:31 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

Just crossed Canada, from Vancouver to Toronto. Twice in 2 months.

There is something special about a road trip. The sites you see along the way are worth the trip alone.
I have crossed the US many times over by car, west to east, east to west, north to south and back. I would normally plan one trip one way and the return a different way. More to see, more to experience. Freedom to stop, go and divert as you please. Cant do that with the plane. I have seen some of the most incredible sites on earth by doing this. In my book, its the best way to travel. Slower, but if you like road trips they are better than flying.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:22 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The mistake is try to do it in one day, you loose out on the "adventure" then have to spend a day or two recovering from the "straight drive".

EDIT: Here is a little something that I actually learnt going to Daytona to watch a few 24 hour races, it makes the two day trip seem like only a day. Pack the car the night before (lets say Thursday night). Everybody gets a good nights rest, go to work / school whatever, so you don't actually burn a day-off work to travel. Leave work at 2pm pick up the wife at work and the kids from school and head straight for the US border. I'm come from East GTA but regardless Hwy 407 is your friend you save alot of time even if you start from downtown TO. We pick up dinner along the way and eat in the car, we stop at ~12 Midnight at a Hotel and have a good nights rest. If you do this you will find that you will cover ~ 9 to 10 hours of driving time before you stop. Next day if you get up and leave at 8:00am you can be in Orlando or Daytona for a late diner Friday night. It will only feel like you covered the journey in a day.

Last edited by Mark Lue; 01-08-2013 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Try this idea for what it's worth
Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Dan@SCB
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hoffa
A friend of mine just flew out of Niagara falls (not Buffalo). A new airline is flying direct from there to Buffalo. I just did a quick search for late feb (for a week) and it was 1000$ for 2 people. Worth checking it out.

www.allegiantair.com
just looked into this! makes alot of sense. saw the ad on CP24 this AM. Planing to hit up Orlando with the GF in Oct
Old 01-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by petee_c
Hey.Isn't there some train service where you can stick your vehicle on and ride down from the DC area?

P
Yes, Amtrak (I think) offers a service between Washington and Orlando. We looked into it, and it was hideously expensive.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 726 Likes on 340 Posts

Ahhhh......it's 85 today on Marco Island.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:44 PM
AM993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Ahhhh......it's 85 today on Marco Island.
I passed by your house on my way to Tigertail Beach a few months ago... beautiful spot

Quick Reply: OT: family road trip to Florida from Waterloo.