Notices

3/4" or 1" pneumatic impact wrench

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 03:33 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 3/4" or 1" pneumatic impact wrench

Does anyone in. GTA west area have access to a 3/4 or 1" drive pnuematic wrench with 19mm socket that could help me loosen a very stuck crankshaft pulley bolt on my DD? I have a 1/2" drive 500 ft-lb Ingorsal Rand unit and it's just been laughed at by the pulley bolt at the moment!

I can drive to where the impact wrench is, jack up car, remove one wheel, and use the heavy duty wrench to loosen this bolt, snug it back on, put the wheel back on and be on my way..

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

what about a breaker bar ? maybe with a pipe over it for leverage ?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

+1 for the breaker bar and a BF pipe. BUT some crank bolts have opposite threads. What car is this for?

Princess Auto sells a breaker bars and even torque multipliers.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:31 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 392 Posts

if the car is on jack stands and the bolt truly is very tight, IMO it is safer to use the impact wrench. you may also want to let some penetrating oil penetrate. good luck with it.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:01 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

What diameter is your air hose ?
One of my friends always comes over to my place to loosen the damper pulley nut on the Honda Civics that he replaces timing belts on.His compressor air tank is set at 125psi max with a 5/16 hose and mine is set at 150psi and i have a 3/8 hose that i use for "heavy jobs" with a Blue Point 1/2 drive impact with 540 lbs of torque for removal.
He can't loosen the nuts ... i can !

Bring your car to a good muffler shop,they have the equipment to loosen your nut for you then just snug it and drive home carefully.

Cheers !
Phil
Old 12-08-2012, 11:05 AM
aviography
Drifting

The car is an 05' Accord with a V-6.

From several threads I've read, this crankshaft bolt is just about the worst part of doing the timing belt job, I've done 3 timing belt / water pump replacements with I-4 DOHC engines in the past, and know this is always a show stopper, there is a tool to lock the pulley in place via a breaker bar while a second breaker bar with the socket is used, but by all account there is really only enough space to go in from the bottom while the car is up on a hoist.

Princess Auto has a 3/4" drive gun with claimed 1,200 ft-lb max torque http://www.princessauto.com/pal/prod...-Impact-Wrench, by the time I get the special locking tool, a couple of breaker bar, BMF pipe(s), and done fighting with this bolt, I'd soon just get a BMF impact wrench.

I have seen YouTube clip of people using starter the loosen this bolt, too risky in my book, and I agree with Dan the impact wrench may be the saftest way.

I have 3/8" dia hose, so that should not be a problem as I've loosened the pulley bolt in my Integra in the past, I've also treated the bolt with PB Blaster.

I also went through a bunch of shops in an auto-repair complex yesterday, the shops were all either not interested, or not confident they can loosen this bolt w/o the special tool, or I'd have to wait a couple of hours until their hoist is freed up.

A tire shop I use would have helped with the 1" drive gun they use for transport truck wheels, but they didn't have the 19mm socket and said the adaptors typically snap when they try to use a 1/2" sized socket.

I think I'll give the Princess Auto gun a try, after all they have always advertized about "No sale is final until you're satisfied"!

Last edited by aviography; 12-08-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If your Impact wrench is 500lb it should work if your hose and the CFM of your compressor is up to spec. If you'll bring it to Markham I'll give it a go with my Earth Quake.
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-prof...nch-68424.html
Old 12-09-2012, 08:24 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Get a torque multiplier, I would lend you mine but its already lent out to Martin S.

Thats how I got my crank pulley off, my 928. Nothing else worked even a 5 foot breaker bar would not budge it. Torque multiplier took 30 seconds and it was off like a hot knife rough butter.

I got mine at princess.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:51 PM
aviography
Drifting

Hmmm, I vaguely have heard of this tool before but have never seen it or heard others using it.

I gave up on the 3/4" drive Princess Auto impact gun idea, one of the sales staff there convinced me if my 1/2" drive 550 ft-lb Ingersoll-Rand gun is having problems, then I'm not only going to need a bigger gun, but likely also a higher CFM compressor than my Porter Cable pancake compressor to make a bigger gun work.

I went over to Mark's place this morning to try out his 1/2" drive Earth Quake gun and a healthy size compressor, still no luck, the book time for this job is 5 hours, it will probably take me 7 hours assuming not encountering any issues, a bit risky for me since this is my DD and the mess from coolant gushing out in the garage when the water pump is removed are giving me second thoughts of doing this job myself.

A shop I know very well offered me a very reasonable price to do this work, plus they will give me a courtesy car, so I'll likely take the car to them even though I still would have liked to have done this work myself.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Try the torque multiplier, plus it's a good tool to have any way. $99. I'm surprised the sales guy at princess didn't recommend it.

But I had not heard of it either until I came up against my crank pulley bolt. Wasted several days working it on and this thing took care of it in under a minute.

I would be happy to ofer my assistance if you need it and don't go the mechanic route.

Old 12-09-2012, 09:49 PM
aviography
Drifting

Adam, thanks, I'll see how things go in the next few days.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:01 PM
blur911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since nobody has asked, what PSI are you using?
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM
aviography
Drifting

The 550 ft-lb max reverse is rated at 90 PSI, I had cranked up the compressor regulator to 125 PSI and still no go, I was at Mark's place last Sunday to give it a go with his impact wrench and compressor, no luck either.

The shop I ended up using to do the job on Wednesday said they have a $500 impact gun and run their shop air pressure at 175 PSI !
Old 12-17-2012, 11:43 AM
blur911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my experience impact wrench ratings are usually out to lunch. None really work at 90psi and they never seem to have to torque claimed. (unless you pay the big bucks)

To remove crankshaft bolts I've had to use a 3/4" electric I borrowed from work as my Princess Auto special and small compressor just don't cut it. For my Audis I've actually made a crankshaft holding tool with a 4' torque arm, works great.

Nothing more annoying than a bolt you just can't remove.

Quick Reply: 3/4" or 1" pneumatic impact wrench