Notices

Planning to sell

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Planning to sell

I'm going to sell the Targa. I will be taking a position in the States next summer and I think it makes sense to sell my car up here (its a Canadian car) and then look for a newer one down there.

Looking for some advice:
- I'm not in any rush. What's the best strategy, if I can't sell it on Rennlist or within PCA? When/where should I list it?
- What have you guys done about the Ontario Used Vehicle Package? It's only good for 6 months and I might not sell within that time.
- Has anyone managed to sell a P-car over the winter (given that it's stored)? How do you handle inspections, test drives, etc?

I'll put up a posting here soon with pics and details about the car.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:17 AM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've never had any problem selling Porsches in Ontario. If anything, they go too fast and I miss them immediately. I tend to buy in August, and sell in the spring, for what it's worth.

Don't bother with a used car information package until you have a serious buyer lined up. If you don't plan to have it on the road over the winter, wait until spring to list it.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:13 PM
ZR8ED
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. Once it is in storage, I would not list it for sale. Way too much hassle to bring it in and out if it is not stored close to home.

As for a PPI. I have never had one done for any car that I have bought, and no one has ever asked for one for any cars I have sold (I've sold a lot of sports cars over the years). Certified or not certified has been the main thing asked about. Especially with an older car. And of course with my Datsuns, it is ALWAYS about rust...
Old 11-23-2012, 02:54 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pontifex4
I've never had any problem selling Porsches in Ontario. If anything, they go too fast and I miss them immediately.
Can I ask where you list your cars when you're selling them? I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. I have my car consigned at the place that has done all of the servicing over the years, but am a bit stymied about how to market it. TIA...
Old 11-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

doesn't the used package cost like 15 or $20?
Old 11-23-2012, 04:08 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Used vehicle package is $15, and you only need it when you sell. just says there are no liens, and tell the new owner he is paying HST when he registers the car
Old 11-23-2012, 04:20 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
Can I ask where you list your cars when you're selling them? I'm kind of in the same boat as the OP. I have my car consigned at the place that has done all of the servicing over the years, but am a bit stymied about how to market it. TIA...
I've actually had the most luck with Autotrader. I would also suggest PCA UCR's and PCA Rennsport's classifieds. People seem to start searching for Porsches in the spring. If you need someone to help you sell it, I understand that Christien on this forum is in the business and can probably help.

Trending Topics

Old 11-23-2012, 05:42 PM
tarbender
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Autotrader is probably the best place to advertise but you can also try Kijiji.ca which is free. I've sold a few things off Kijiji but not something as big as a car. I bought one Porsche through Ebay and two from UCR Porsche club. I had one car go through PPI which cost about $200. The others I contacted the mechanic they took the car to and asked him about it rather than going through PPI. This is something you can recommend to potential buyers if you have a regular mechanic/shop you use.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:55 PM
Paseb
Race Car

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

you will have more money out the sale during spring but you have nothing to loose to list it right now.
for test drives and stuff, just schedule a day that its hot outside and not *snowy*
kijiji, autotrader, rennlist, rennsport, ucr adds, lespacs.com(qc)
Old 11-23-2012, 11:43 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Good to know
Old 11-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Not just Kijiji but Auto Trader is also free to post. Has been for about two years. I've sold a few cars on Kijiji. Kijiji seems to attract all the crazies too.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:09 PM
MSRacing87
1st Gear

I recommend UCR classifieds and Rennsport classifieds adds too. However, I agree this is not the best time to attract buyers. Posted my 87 targa in UCR classifieds late fall of '06, sold it 5 months later...
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

FWIW last year I listed my 997S cab on Rennlist, rennsport and UCR classifieds and Kijiji.

The VAST majority of contacts I got were through Kijiji and while there were a few scammers most were legit including the buyer.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:23 AM
initial
Instructor

Default go with kijiji

I sold three cars with kijiji. Its free, and in my case, fast.

Dont bother with the sellers package until you have a serious buyer. If you advertize your porsche properly and put up good looking pictures, it should move quickly. I believe the quality of the pictures you put up on Kijiji makes all the difference in the speed of the sale. One last tip, make sure you are ready for a showing when you adverize it. Time kills all deals, if you are too slow to react to an inquiry, the buyer may move on.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great points, all. Many thanks.

I should try to get some more shots before she's completely tucked away for the winter. I never thought to get interior or engine compartment shots.

Quick Reply: Planning to sell