Notices

McGuinty resigns as Premier

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldstar
Unfortunately, it's too late. He should have been voted out last election. But any incoming premier, regardless of the party is going to be a lame replacement as well. There are no good options. Too bad John Tory didn't get into power. I think we should have Justin Bieber as premier, he seems to be popular these days.
+1 the opposition was so lame they couldn't knock this incompetent idiot out of power during the last election. Now absolutely nothing will be done in government for probably about a year, but we will still be picking up the tab for everyone's salary!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Xpit77
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez.
Do we not have any Ontario teachers in the club ?
I would love to read their thoughts on this !
I just hope that Micky G can make ends meet on that 6 figure pension he gets .....Forever !!
Old 10-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torontoworker
... just because they select a retread from his cabinet. ...
*retard
Old 10-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Targatoo
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And I should add that I'm in a less celebratory mood than the rest of you. It seems that he's still my MPP.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:39 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by P0rsch3F113
I agree, cowardly...but not surprised.
Worst for our province though, no, for that you have to revisit Bob Rae's NDP government.
Before my time
Old 10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

and don't forget the following:

"The Liberal government did increase MPP severance to the current six months for up to four years of service, 12 months for up to eight years and 18 months for more than eight years.

What remains unaddressed however, is the issue of why MPPs should get any severance generally and in particular why MPPs who chose not to seek re-election - in effect, retire - should get any severance in particular"
Old 10-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Good riddance. However that leaves two new problems:

1. Dalton is now going to run for leadership of the liberal party - mark my words.
2. Tim Hudak now has a real shot at the premier's office. IMO, Hudak is a politician through and through, in the absolute worst sense of the word. I absolutely can't stand him.

Originally Posted by Xpit77
Geez.
Do we not have any Ontario teachers in the club ?
Yes, my wife is an elementary school teacher. From the limited talk I've heard so far, the teachers are pretty happy about his departure. I'm sure there will be more to tell when she gets home from work today.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:30 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts

As someone who's been in public healthcare for my whole career and taken loads of cuts, including being laid off (out of work for 11 months recently) but now gainfully re-employed, I think I've done my share in terms of reducing the provincial deficit.

Now, my daughter (gr. 4) hasn't had any clubs at school because the teachers have decided that what they've been paid for 8 months work (March break, 2 weeks holiday at xmas, plus 9-3:30 hrs) over the past 9 years., if frozen won't be enough to get them through the next 2 years.

Don't get me started on Doctor's billings.....

I'm not saying he's perfect, but neither are the times.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/edito...g-expectations

Last edited by petee_c; 10-16-2012 at 10:33 PM. Reason: link added.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:42 PM
TTLATION
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I showed my wife your post & after a couple of valiums she's calmed down sufficiently such that she's stopped asking for your address & the keys to my Porsche.

As a teacher & then principal she reiterated that comments like yours are the reason that teachers have a long way to go with their PR in educating the public who take everything the gov't. says (read Harris & the McSquinty) re educators renumeration at face value.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:48 PM
Christien
Race Car

Don't blame him for those views, though - IMO the fault lays entirely at the feet of the OSSTF and ETFO. They have no concept of PR, and every time you hear one of their people on TV or radio, they seem to make things worse. The way I see it, the reality of the situation is that teachers are paid pretty much exactly what they should be for the work they do - not too much, not too little, but the vast majority of the voting public has no idea what exactly they do in a typical day. They just assume it's 5 hour days with tons of holidays, and the unions have done absolutely nothing to counter this perception.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:15 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
IMO, Hudak is a politician through and through, in the absolute worst sense of the word. I absolutely can't stand him.
I used to run into Tim all the time in my previous life. He's a great guy, not that it matters, and a fiscal conservative, which does. I think if he had his way he'd allow private health care and school options, and clean up the current energy mess by canning the green-energy policy which has been a massive failure. Not that I have an opinion or anything.....
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
Christien
Race Car

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I think if he had his way he'd allow private health care and school options
2 perfect reasons for him to never hold public office. The US can keep their private health care.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

2 perfect reasons for him to never hold public office. The US can keep their private health care.
Who said anything about US health care? US does not have private health care. It is highly regulated. Haven't you heard of Obamacare? I want the option of better health care - ours is ranks badly on every metric, and to send my kids to private school without paying for our inadequate public system. However, I am encouraging my niece to become a high school teacher since Ontario's are the highest paid in North America.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
I used to run into Tim all the time in my previous life. He's a great guy, not that it matters, and a fiscal conservative, which does. I think if he had his way he'd allow private health care and school options, and clean up the current energy mess by canning the green-energy policy which has been a massive failure. Not that I have an opinion or anything.....
You radical you.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:44 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Have a look at the Ham Nia region LHIN's record. I could stand some private health care.

Quick Reply: McGuinty resigns as Premier