Notices

Winter storage or keep it going?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 475 Posts

Your better off just fogging the engine, plug in the battery and leave it. Unless you can actually drive it.

Fogging is optional, but good insurance for the spring start up. Plus it makes a cool smoke show to **** of your neighbors.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:37 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a great idea - you'll end up with condensation in the engine and exhaust and unless you get it up to full operating temperature (which you can't really do without driving it) it won't fully evaporate or burn off.

If you've ever seen what looks like yellowish mayonnaise in you oil filler neck - that's what causes it, usually from too much city driving and short trips. That is why it super important to drive the snot out of it pretty regularly - in fact the turbo manual even calls for full throttle runs to high rpm specifically for this purpose

Oil and filter change is probably the biggest thing to make sure of before parking it - you want to get that crappy dirty oil out of the engine for the winter.

My car has had the same routine for the last 12 years and I suspect the previous 19 before me, and it's doing great with over 260,000km on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:12 PM
928 at last
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What Richard Said....Both times.

I stabilize my fuel, pull the battery and monitor it every few weeks and trickle charge when necessary, and start the car once every four weeks (religiously), letting it get to full operating temps and I still get the goo on the filler neck by spring.
Some detail would be good though...if you're in an underground heated garage, it's going to be easier....
And, yes, under ten degrees and things can get interesting really quickly if you haven't got some heat in the tires (and there's any moisture on the pavement ).

Originally Posted by Richard930
Not a great idea - you'll end up with condensation in the engine and exhaust and unless you get it up to full operating temperature (which you can't really do without driving it) it won't fully evaporate or burn off.

If you've ever seen what looks like yellowish mayonnaise in you oil filler neck - that's what causes it, usually from too much city driving and short trips. That is why it super important to drive the snot out of it pretty regularly - in fact the turbo manual even calls for full throttle runs to high rpm specifically for this purpose

Oil and filter change is probably the biggest thing to make sure of before parking it - you want to get that crappy dirty oil out of the engine for the winter.

My car has had the same routine for the last 12 years and I suspect the previous 19 before me, and it's doing great with over 260,000km on it.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:13 PM
928 at last
Rennlist Member

Oh, and the oil and filter change before it goes away is (to me) mandatory.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:19 PM
928 at last
Rennlist Member

Default And,....

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Your better off just fogging the engine, plug in the battery and leave it. Unless you can actually drive it.

Fogging is optional, but good insurance for the spring start up. Plus it makes a cool smoke show to **** of your neighbors.
If you fog it, and the neighbours don't have you locked up for some environmental crime....
Once it's been given a good run in the spring and the tank refilled - change the plugs out. Not sure if it's necessary, but once you see what burns off on start-up, it sure can't hurt.....
Oh yeah, BTW...don't do this in an enclosed area...ever....for any reason.....
I've literally filled an entire bay (Lake not Garage) in Muskoka with the smoke show with a V6. (Marine, but same effect)......
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 PM
MidnightCayman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 928 at last
Oh, and the oil and filter change before it goes away is (to me) mandatory.
Sorry to hijack but quick question. Do you guys that store your cars changed oil/filter before storage and after storage? I ask because my dealer said not to worry about storing with dirty oil and to just change it after storage. Last year I ended up driving about 8k in the summer then storing from October to April before having the oil changed
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 985 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnightCayman
Sorry to hijack but quick question. Do you guys that store your cars changed oil/filter before storage and after storage? I ask because my dealer said not to worry about storing with dirty oil and to just change it after storage. Last year I ended up driving about 8k in the summer then storing from October to April before having the oil changed
Do it before, you don't want crap or moisture in your engine during storage. After is great too, but the before is most important.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:27 PM
Richard930
Instructor

Exactly - you don't want the contaminants in the oil eating away at the engine internals.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:48 PM
P0rsch3F113
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I plan to keep running her occasionally during the winter (on clean, clear days).
Hopefully I can run it at least once a week or once every 2 weeks.
Have a CTEK always connected and will keep her covered.
Don't have winter tires but won't be driving too far or too fast (during winter).
Still lots of good driving weather left, just have to be careful as temperatures approach, and dip below, 7 degrees C.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:05 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MidnightCayman
Get a CTEK charger and plug it in. Problem solved.
I have two chargers at the shop, but no where to plug it in where I store my car
Old 09-26-2012, 08:11 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by 71pest
Is it enough to just start her up for a bit through out the winter to keep it going without driving it?
I used to do that with my beetle and it seemed to work.
Cold starts are not recommended, Id leave it alone until you can drive it for a while to reach required temp.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 AM
71pest
Instructor

What the hell does fogging mean?!?!?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:26 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 71pest
What the hell does fogging mean?!?!?
It's a special oil spray that you put in the intake while it is running, usually till it stalls out. Coats all the combustion internals with a coat of oil and prevents rusting.

In the spring you start it up and the oil burns off and creates a rather large amount of oil smoke. Boaters have been doing this for decades. The spray is available at Canadian tire or any marine store as well as other places.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:03 AM
71pest
Instructor

I think I will keep it running, if we get snow I will start her up for awhile. We are talking about 3 to 4 months and mine is no garage queen I bought it for me not the next guy.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:17 AM
Sciloh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

funny that my service tech told me that i don't need to replace the oil before storing.....if it is harmful, wouldn't they be suggesting to change it?

Quick Reply: Winter storage or keep it going?