Notices

WTF Downtown Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 10:29 AM
PbPedis
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I had them look at a tire years ago (prob. around 2007) when I had my 997 C2S in for another issue. They also told me I shouldn't patch it if I was going to track it, which I wasn't, so they patched it for me.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Although rare, I'd back the dealer on this one.
The repair must meet the tire's speed rating.
It would be annoying if they charged you much to tell you what they did.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:08 PM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As long as the nail is in the tread, go elsewhere and patch it. If its anywhere near the sidewall or outside tread you should replace the tire.

Don't get a plug patch (kit from CT), do it right and get the kind that takes the tire off and patches from the inside. They are much safer and should only cost $40-50.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 PM
jasonintoronto
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 911porschefan
As long as the nail is in the tread, go elsewhere and patch it. If its anywhere near the sidewall or outside tread you should replace the tire.

Don't get a plug patch (kit from CT), do it right and get the kind that takes the tire off and patches from the inside. They are much safer and should only cost $40-50.
I also recommend a tire shop do a plug from the inside.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:58 PM
Hyper911
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

They repair Porsches not tires. Therefore, if it blew at whatever speed and you came back on them to sue they could be liable, or at least a huge hassel and unwanted attention. I take safety seriously and would never, ever plug a Porsche or other high performance tire. Tracked or not. I would also not expect Porsche, the marque in performance cars to plug a tire either. Sorry for your bad experience, any tire shop will most likely do it for under $100.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:01 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Christien
This. I've used the plug kit from CT for years with no problems. Takes less than 10 minutes.

Many shops won't repair tires because of liability issues. That's not at all uncommon. DFC and Pfaff are completely different operations, so I'm not surprised one wouldn't honour the other's warranty. Though usually it's DFC that offers the superior service.
Liability is often used as an excuse. Not a lawyer but I don't believe there is any.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:23 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Liability is often used as an excuse. Not a lawyer but I don't believe there is any.
I am a lawyer. It is an easy excuse to hide behind and not completely valid.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:30 AM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 110 Likes on 69 Posts

Sorry but I am on the Dowtown's side on this one.

Let me get this straight. You bought the car from Pfaff which is the dealer that offered you their own tire warranty. This is not a warranty from Porsche or the tire manufacturer.

You are pissed because Downtown Porsche will not patch your tire when it is the dealer's policy not to patch any tires.

I have owned or currently own Audi, BMW, Porsche and Infiniti vehicles. I have NEVER had any tires repaired by those dealers. Their policy is always to replace.

So the good folks at Downtown offered to fill up your tire so you can take it somewhere else to have it plugged.

Did they charge you for filling up the tire?????

If not then IMHO you are the unreasonable one and they have in my opinion offered reasonable customer service.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 84 Posts

I've used several of the CTC pipe cleaner type plugs. My wife's CRV was a nail/screw magnet at one point.

No issues at all, didn't need to remove tire valve or any air....

P
Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 72 Posts

The best patch/plug are the ones that have a round patch with a plug attached to it. The tire has to be removed from the rim to install one, but when done the hole has a plug and there is a vulcanized patch on the inside of the tire. I couldn't see one of them letting go even at at track day.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:13 PM
Rob996
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently had a flat as well with a screw in the tread.. I took the car to a tire only garage to have them plug it.. They plugged it as they were 60% worn out Michelin PS2's and didnt know what tires i was buying next. But that another story..

The tire tech told me that tires lose the speed rating once they have been plugged or patched, and i should be careful at speed.. Like you i run R-compounds for the track, but found it very interesting that tires lost the speed rating..

Thought you should know..
Old 08-10-2012, 02:45 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964

Let me get this straight. You bought the car from Pfaff which is the dealer that offered you their own tire warranty. This is not a warranty from Porsche or the tire manufacturer.

You are pissed because Downtown Porsche will not patch your tire when it is the dealer's policy not to patch any tires.

I have owned or currently own Audi, BMW, Porsche and Infiniti vehicles. I have NEVER had any tires repaired by those dealers. Their policy is always to replace.

So the good folks at Downtown offered to fill up your tire so you can take it somewhere else to have it plugged.

If not then IMHO you are the unreasonable one and they have in my opinion offered reasonable customer service.
Tend to agree. To this point there are no charges for you to pay only inconvenience. Now the choice is yours.....
Now if you had a good day, this wouldn't seem so bad eh ?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964

Pfaff is a Porsche dealer too and guess what, they repaired one of my flats. Do you know why? Because it is their tire warranty (not Porsche Canada) that I have and they would rather repair a "high performance sport tire" than have to eat the cost of replacing the damaged tire with a new one. But, I'd bet dollars to donuts that if my earlier flat had not been insured, they would have said that they have a policy of not repairing flats and that replacing the tire was the only option. There is a lack of honesty out there among the dealers which is what I find troubling.
Old 08-10-2012, 05:32 PM
dml
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

My tire was not under warranty, and Pfaff repaired it. This was a nail in dead centre of the tire. Also they did it while I waited, so I was in and out in a bit over an hour, making me pretty happy with their service.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob996
I recently had a flat as well with a screw in the tread.. I took the car to a tire only garage to have them plug it.. They plugged it as they were 60% worn out Michelin PS2's and didnt know what tires i was buying next. But that another story..

The tire tech told me that tires lose the speed rating once they have been plugged or patched, and i should be careful at speed.. Like you i run R-compounds for the track, but found it very interesting that tires lost the speed rating..

Thought you should know..
100% true. A tire loses it's speed rating when patched or plugged. That doesn't mean that it will blow out at speed, it just means that the mfg, distributor and retailer must advise you and should get you to sign off on it if you choose to repair vs replace. I really don't think you can fault DFC for this, so another vote for their side on this issue.

Quick Reply: WTF Downtown Porsche