Notices

calabogie ucr august 18-19

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Murphy's Law
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there as well, but having to stay at Brookstreet and make the 45 min drive.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Paseb
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob D..
The Country Squire in Arnprior has rooms - I just booked.
just booked at this hotel also

thx for the heads up
Old 08-09-2012, 09:03 PM
DHI
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Can't wait to get back on track.
It's been 4-5 wks since LCMT.
Suffering from withdrawal.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DHI
Just make sure that you stay away from the dirty gas.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:22 PM
acadian_dad
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Originally Posted by DHI
Just make sure that you stay away from the dirty gas.
Stinsons in Arnprior (across from Antrim Truckstop on Whitelake Rd) has 94 (or 93) ... And it's discounted Fri-Sun according to 1Gunner.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:10 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Fantastic weekend....I think I have a new favorite track I'm hoping that UCR decides to do it again next year.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:36 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Thanks again for the ride Chris, it was a blast. Your car feels just like mine, but with a few more squeaks

Had a long discussions with one of the senior instructors at the end of the day yesterday, and it would seem that "my" line through 12 (?) the Duck's head (?) might be more suitable for a higher hp car like the GT3, so next time you go, experiment and see what works for you.

I think that there are as many lines around that track as there are drivers.

Yes, hopefully UCR makes this a yearly event. I don't think that they broke even, but we had more participants than Rennsport did a few weeks ago when they were at the track.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:44 PM
TrackdayRSA.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FFaust
Thanks again for the ride Chris, it was a blast. Your car feels just like mine, but with a few more squeaks

Had a long discussions with one of the senior instructors at the end of the day yesterday, and it would seem that "my" line through 12 (?) the Duck's head (?) might be more suitable for a higher hp car like the GT3, so next time you go, experiment and see what works for you.

I think that there are as many lines around that track as there are drivers.

Yes, hopefully UCR makes this a yearly event. I don't think that they broke even, but we had more participants than Rennsport did a few weeks ago when they were at the track.
Yes, I definitely need to find out what on earth that squeaking is Thanks again for your input Francois- it is appreciated, and I can't wait to get back there next year.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 08-20-2012, 08:11 PM
Bob D..
Instructor

And for anyone who hasn't been there, it is well worth the drive.
Tough to learn, but it flows nicely once the more technical sections become familiar.
There were about 80 entries, and combined with the long track it made for very few trains.
There are a few nice challenging blind apex corners, and and even my old car was approaching 200 at the fastest point - about 20 K lower than Mosport, for comparison. Enough to keep it a bit interesting.
My daughter had a few challenges - learning a new track, her third ever DE weekend, and the pressure of constantly being passed.
However, by the end of the weekend, she had a really nice command of the lines, and was starting to carry decent speed in most of the corners. And I didn't yell at her when she spun after catching a couple of cars in a blind corner. Made her clean all the sand out of the car herself, though.

I had heard the track eats tires, but the set of nearly tread-free Pilot Sport Cups I used were still usable after nearly 500km on the track. I haven't looked at the brake pads, although i suspect there was a fair amount of brake wear - there are three really hard braking sections.

The facilities, track surface, and the landscaping are really nice, and there is even an on-site racing parts and tire store.
We'd go again in a heartbeat.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:32 PM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Every serious track enthusiast that wants to improve should go to Calabogie at least once a year, it's a thinking person's track.

Of course, it doesn't have Mosport's flow nor does it provide the same thrill, but then again, what other track does? The beauty of CMP is that you can try stuff. You have to be respectful of T1 and T20 with their concrete "reality checks", but otherwise, speeds are not extreme and there's lots of run-off. It's generally forgiving.

My first visit changed my driving, that's where I learned the subtleties of throttle steer.

Case in point: During one session, I got a late pass point-by into T8, the Caroussel, and went in a bit too hot on the inside. As I was gradually drifting out wider and wider, I had lots of time and remember thinking: "Should I touch the brakes to load the front wheels, or should I give more gas to load the rears? What's the best way out?". I ended up doing neither and just kept the car balanced, coming out wide, but with NO DRAMA, and on the pavement.

Bottom line, it's a great learning track, with many different types of corners and space to learn, let's be thankful we have it, and try to enjoy it on a regular basis
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM
Burkey
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TrackdayRSA.
Fantastic weekend....I think I have a new favorite track I'm hoping that UCR decides to do it again next year.
I second that Chris, great track, hope UCR goes back next year.
Old 08-21-2012, 10:39 PM
Murphy's Law
Instructor

Guys, that event was silly fun! I'm going back as soon as possible to continue to work on learning this track. Temptation is just a blast with so many line options....

FYI - for anyone interested. There is a group from the GTA going down to Watkins Glen Sept 28-30 with NASA. Details here: http://www.nasaproracing.com/event/1512

Another great event to close out the season on a high note!
Old 08-21-2012, 11:16 PM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Mark,

ASE lapping Aug 24 Calabogie...Tempting You.

I cant go for obvious reasons
Old 08-21-2012, 11:24 PM
Murphy's Law
Instructor

Why, need to buy some coolant? Sorry, bad joke!!! LOL! Any news on the repair? By all standards, you had a tough weekend.

If I were to even mention the 24th in my house, I'll be asked to move out. Have any room at your place?
Old 08-22-2012, 08:33 PM
aviography
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Does Murphy have an outdoor dog house?

Quick Reply: calabogie ucr august 18-19