Notices

Canadian Formula 3 Championship to hit North America…

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Canadian Formula 3 Championship to hit North America…

We are starting a Formula 3 Championship to run races in the Northeast Corridor of the continent to make it easier for race teams in this area to get to circuit venues.

We're currently importing F3 cars from Europe and some will be from the British and German F3 Series’ where they use the Volkswagen engines. Our races will all be support events to larger displacement Series' such as Grand Am, ALMS and Porsche Cup as examples.

A Formula 3 car is the easier and closest machine to a Formula 1 car that one would be able to drive safely on this side of the Atlantic Ocean. There always has been a strong correlation between these 2 Formulas with the same manufacturers, teams, drivers and historically.

Formula 1 has always been a strong attraction in Canada with the annual Grand Prix. Formula 1 now is growing in the states more so than it ever has done in its rocky past.

Our own Formula 3 Championship being support races to the Canadian Grand Prix and upcoming Formula 1 races in the states would build our Series up tremendously.

You can find more information on the Championship through our website; www.formula3.ca and use the Contact page for any interest or questions on the Series.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Dan@SCB
Banned

This sounds exciting! We are part of Porsche Cup Canada. Looks like we will see you guys soon
Old 08-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

If you ran at the Porsche Cup race at the Summer Classic at Tremblant last month and saw a silver Formula 3 car running in the Formula Libre Series then that was my car.

Antoine Bessette was the driver and came from 12th to 2nd Place in Sunday's race because we didn't race in the morning qualifying race. But we were one of the fastest cars on the circuit.

The car is also for sale, and I'll try and post it in the Classifieds. I have another Dallara coming in from Europe for sale as well. We're building up the Formula 3 marketplace here over the next year.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Will we see you at Calabogie Aug. 10/11 in the Formula Libre race?
Old 08-04-2012, 02:28 AM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

no unfortunately...I have one more race this summer with the car and that probably will be during the Fall Classic at Tremblant next month. My intention is not to be a team owner and race, but to bring in more used F3 cars from European markets to re-sell and build up our own F3 market here.

But I realize that I need to run it to demonstrate the capabilities of a Formula 3 car. So I hope only a few races will help convince potential team owners that these cars are superior piece of machinery compared to any other open-wheel category here in North America...and cheaper to run! yes, you might be surprised by that last statement but it's not expensive to buy or run these types of cars.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:16 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Ok, so you are a used race car dealer then?
Old 08-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

...no actually, I'm the Series Organizer and I prefer not to own the car myself because everyone whom owns, (or owned) a race car knows it's as much care as owning a thoroughbred race horse requiring constant attention.

But since no one has seen a Formula 3 race car here this side of the Atlantic, I'm the one whom has to buy the cars myself, (or help a team owner buy a car) and bring it over here to show people what Formula 3 is all about.

Once a potential team owner sees the Formula 3 car it is clearly evident that it is the most advanced, most economical, highest performance Formula racing car platform available today compared to Formula Atlantic, Star Mazda, or F2000.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Dale Gribble
Pocket Sand
Rennlist Member

What are the running costs of an F3 car? Spec Tire? Motor?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 PM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

It's a matter of what you want to put into it. If you're a high-level professional team like Highcroft Racing and send 10 - 15 people to a race venue and buy race tickets for sponsors with your own hospitality tent it could run you $25,000 a weekend. Or 5 people, no hospitality but hotels for $9,000.

I race this 2007 Dallara at Tremblant a month ago and it cost me only $3,500 and I stayed at the 5-star Fairmont Tremblant for 4 people. So when people talk about racing budgets, it really comes down to how professional you want to approach it. Most sleep in their trailers and spend very little.

Right now we use a hard compound Pirelli tire which last 2 full race weekends without a loss in performance, and those sell for $1,500 a set. But there is no spec tire, nor spec engine, it's an open Championship, but really there is only room for a few, small, select manufacturers whom we want to align ourselves with.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:01 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Who will be the sanctioning body, ASN Canada?
Old 08-09-2012, 06:12 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 280 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula3.ca
If you ran at the Porsche Cup race at the Summer Classic at Tremblant last month and saw a silver Formula 3 car running in the Formula Libre Series then that was my car.

Antoine Bessette was the driver and came from 12th to 2nd Place in Sunday's race because we didn't race in the morning qualifying race. But we were one of the fastest cars on the circuit.

The car is also for sale, and I'll try and post it in the Classifieds. I have another Dallara coming in from Europe for sale as well. We're building up the Formula 3 marketplace here over the next year.
What # was this car? I shot a bunch of vid there on the Sunday...
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

for Torontoworker...we have spoken to ASN Canada FIA a few times, met with Roger, they are an obvious choice and the FIA association makes our Series look good internationally, but it's also a question of their working capacity to do so.

The other equal choice is IMSA which we've had multiple contact as well. So some of it depends upon which race weekends we will be supporting and if IMSA is already present there sanctioning another Series, this will cut down the costs for us.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
What # was this car? I shot a bunch of vid there on the Sunday...
Did you happen to get any of the #6 car in GT?
Old 08-09-2012, 08:06 PM
Formula3.ca
Cruisin'

for ronnie993tt...our number was #3 ofcourse! if you check your video we were the silver car with black trim on the front and rear wing endplates. We started in last place 12th or 14th position because we opted not to run on Sunday morning's qualification race, only the afternoon's final.

But we came in 2nd place with the 2nd fastest posted time only 44/1000th of a second off the red Atlantic car which had 30 more horsepower than us because we ran the smallest air restrictor at 24 mm instead of 32 mm, we used 100 octane instead of 115 because we didn't have the correct engine mapping, we had full tanks but it's 20 minutes only should have done it with a half-a-tank, and we had ran maximum downforce on the front and rear wings because this was our shakedown weekend and I didn't want to risk shunting the car.

Hence, the car has alot of untapped performance! If I had a real mechanic instead of myself and the driver just wrenching it with a socket set, we could have tweaked the car up to get another 25 horsepower out of it. And it would help if I got some ramps for suspension and weight set-ups!

Quick Reply: Canadian Formula 3 Championship to hit North America…