Notices

Shockingly unprofessional service at Indies in Toronto and Calgary

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:54 PM
Michael Air
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shockingly unprofessional service at Indies in Toronto and Calgary

Email me for details, and protect yourself, this is my first P-car, two weeks in, and I am shocked at some of the misses and conduct at these two "reputable" shops that "everyone" uses!
Old 06-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Are you are too chicken to post what happened?
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM
Michael Air
Intermediate

Had a PPI done at indi in Tornto. No brake issues identified. Car purchased and brought to Calgary, failed provincial safety inspection at Calgary indi. Front rotors below 30mm spec and parking brakes burned off. My bill today was $1800. I emailed T indi last week and asked what his thoughts are and if he used a "different criteria" (giving him benefit of the doubt). No response from T indi. I am shocked that brakes were missed after I paid him for a good PPI. My car has been stuck in the shop waiting for parts and not able to register in Alberta until work is completed.

On top of that, Calgary indi heard me mention that I think the windscreen is leaking, but I said I will wait to look into it. While it is waiting for brakes, they went ahead and removed the windscreen at the glass shop next door without any authorization from me. (“We thought you wanted that taken care of”). Then they said there is no OEM glass for five working days (think you would have checked first?). And they are using a “good window” guy next door that they like, but I would never have selected. So now, waiting for rubber seals (maybe tomorrow). The window came in ($1100 quote installed). So I was forced to make my first windscreen claim on insurance already, one week into ownership. I went down and they had the car sitting without glass 10 yards from a freight train running by behind the shop. You can imagine what I said.

So I might get the car done and on the road tomorrow. And so far super unimpressed by the indies. I am def doing DIY whenever possible.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:29 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Call the Toronto shop on the phone. And PM me the name if you would -- not that I can do anything for you, as I tend to avoid confrontation, but I would like to know who it is.

Also, ask to see all the old parts the Calgary shop removed. Take them with you in a box when you leave the shop.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Also, make sure that parts they give you back are from your car. Till you can personally check the Calgary shop's claims, this is nothing more than one shop blaming the other to get you to pay.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:35 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you sure about the rotor width as I thought 30mm would be new. I just had a PPI done at Weissach in Vancouver and they use 26mm as the min before change (on a 996 anyway) - they're a very reputable shop!!
Old 06-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Michael Air
Intermediate

Here is the exact email quote from Calg indi: "The park brake shoes linings are burnt off and the front brake discs are below the 30mm minimum thickness". I viewed the new rotors, and they have a stamp on the edge "30mm min". Apparently they are 32mm new, so I was surprised at the tiny 1mm (40 thou) per side allowable wear.
Old 06-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Forget pm's, post the name of the shop here. You emailed them for their thoughts, they didn't reply, so taking it public is the next logical step.
Old 06-29-2012, 01:28 AM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

+1 it may save a few board members hassle and expense done the road.
Old 06-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Please post Shop Names there is no need to be scared... I won't Bomb You...
Old 06-29-2012, 07:59 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by Michael Air
Here is the exact email quote from Calg indi: "The park brake shoes linings are burnt off and the front brake discs are below the 30mm minimum thickness". I viewed the new rotors, and they have a stamp on the edge "30mm min". Apparently they are 32mm new, so I was surprised at the tiny 1mm (40 thou) per side allowable wear.
Now days they don't leave much material on the rotors for wear and re machining them is a thing of the past. Not like in the old days, when there was enough meat left on them to machine them once or even twice. You can thank that to the bean counters at Porsche. I've seen rotors that look thinck enough when you look at it, yet they are already under size. It's easy to miss if they don't take a micrometer and measure it. As for the parking shoes, can they even be seen without removing the rotors? On the 928, and many rear disk cars, the parking brake is burried inside the rear rotor and unless you pull the rotor, not usually part of a PPI, you can't see anything. To me, these two things are wearable items and are not a drastical mistake. If the rotors were at the minimum, and pass inspection, would it be all ok with you? The minimum thinckens is usually stamped in each rotor or stated in the work shop manual so, make sure you check against THAT and not what was stamped on the new rotors.

I'm not trying to protect the shop, just pointing out how things can be missed or missleading, even if the shop is good.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:12 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Sounds to me the Calgary shop is taking you for I ride looking for as much as they can. If the shop pills on the pb lever and it doesn't roll it will pass. I think the shop did you a favor. Charging you Labour to pull the rotors off that may have been bonded on along with calipers when the car ipb feels fine would have been more annoying to me.
That saw an opportunity to replace the shoes while in there ripping you off on your other brakes.
I really only see very minor issues with the TO shop.

Btw I don't use any shop. You are obviously very upset so I am just trying to provide unbiased opinion only.

Welcome aboard
Old 06-29-2012, 09:59 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

If you didn't authorize the windshield, don't pay for it.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
If you didn't authorize the windshield, don't pay for it.
That one will be rough if they have your car and it is naked from the waist up
Old 06-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Revn29k00
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pags993
+1 it may save a few board members hassle and expense done the road.
+2. I'm getting a ppi done at at Gtek next week. Hopefully this was not the shop you had trouble with. Please post shop name. You could save me some headaches

Quick Reply: Shockingly unprofessional service at Indies in Toronto and Calgary