Notices

Found a deal too good to be true. Need your input!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Tim K
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm way ahead of you; I just "happen to be in NYC this week" and asked for an address to come and take a look. Our correspondence came to an abrupt end...

Prior to that:
As I already said in my first email the car is currently located in United States(New York,NY) but still registered in Canada, so you won't have to pay any custom fees.For a major safety and insurance for this transaction we will use a eBay Motors Shipping Company which also manages the payment. Here's how it works:
-You will give me your full name,address and phone number
-I will open the case id to the eBay Motors company
-You will need to deposit only 29% from the price to eBay Motors Company
-You will receive along with the car the bill of sale and the bill of landing,title and keys
- You will have 7 days to inspect the car, if you will like the car , you will keep it, if not you will receive the money back .The whole amount of money and the car will be shiped back in the same day.After you receive this info, you will have to make the payment to one of their agents so I can be sure that you are serious about buying and I am not shipping the car for nothing. The agent will keep the money in a trust fund until you receive the car and are satisfied with it.If the car is not exactly as described, you can send it back at my expense, and get a full refund of your payment. If everything checks out and you decide to keep it, you will pay the rest of the money to the eBay Motors company.If you wish to go on, please mail me back with your full name,phone number and shipping address so I can open the deal .I will appreciate an answer as soon as possible. Also, feel free to ask me any question you may have
Best Regards!
Dr.Patricia Lenson

Tim K
Old 07-26-2012, 05:07 PM
justinsrx7
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Why do these scammers always write in broken and very ugly English...lol. That should give it away immediately.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:23 PM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

It's part of the scam .... From quora

There is no one-size-fits-all explanation. In most cases the language choice is deliberate and carefully worded to achieve the desired end.

Some reasons:
To filter out smart users who would immediately recognize the scam, thus ensuring that only the most gullible users respond.
To read in a way that an American with money might imagine a Nigerian would write (for the multimillion dollar transfer scams)
To get past spam filters
To fool the victim into believing the scammer is not very sophisticated and can be tricked by the victim
Because many scam emails are written by people who speak English as a second language and so do not catch the idiomatic English and grammar mistakes
Because the spam script is recycled from previously successful scripts and the errors don't get fixed.
Old 07-26-2012, 05:26 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

It has to be an automated system looking for key words etc.
I've been trying to sell my $2,000 boat on Kijiji and was sent a tex saying they were interested in the boat and to email them.
I do, and response was as above.
I replied back that the boat does not float and I want $5,000 for it.
They respond with we will take it lets do paypal.
I guess they must find 1 moroon in a million that goes for it.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
dombeau
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny! It appeared last week-end on autotrader... I emailed asking for the real price thinking of a mistake. Same answer... but the car went back to 72000 km... I googled the dr's name.... and found that thread on my good beloved rennlist! Thank you for sharing!
Old 10-23-2012, 01:14 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suppose by now you got the message Darth!
You thinking to still take a crack at it?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:37 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, IMO000 got a 996 for 5 grand.....

Quick Reply: Found a deal too good to be true. Need your input!