Notices

Ontario Insurance at the Track

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharker
I think the issue with POV cameras or dash cams with GPS are going to cause a problem, as they will give you the speed
speed is displayed on all cars on the speedometer, it is timing or racing that will a problem.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:27 AM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

D'oh, Mine was a silly statement. What I meant to say is that having the GPS will allow you to see top speed reached, and to compare lap times, and it is stored with the video, unlike the speedo. That may give the insurance company enough to say it was "being logged"
Old 06-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

it is my understanding that the problem lies in when you have realtime data while driving which may cause you to increase your speed based on the live data. getting the data later iisn't a problem.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:35 PM
Sharker
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know.. I love the gps on my cameras
Old 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 226 Likes on 129 Posts

Thread revival!

@ shizzle.. very much appreciate your shared knowledge. I am just revisiting this thread in advance of my .2 GT3 .. My intent was to attend at least 6-10 events / year.. Would there be any updates to this explanation that HPDE events are covered under our normal Insurance? ( I have no issues suing.. )
If I can save $6k, it would add to my brake & tire fund.

Any updates would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-22-2017, 08:05 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

hmmmm.... still tracking their porsches?

Old 09-22-2017, 07:32 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

I must be one of the very few people that have confirmed coverage at the track as part of my normal policy. Unfortunately, I am insured by Northbridge's staff division so not open to the public - sorry in advance.

Phonecall last summer:

Me: Am I covered at a race track for high performance driver education days?

Rep: What's that?

Me: Driving on a racetrack but not racing or timed

Rep: I'm going to put you on hold and speak with an underwriter

Rep: Yes, you are covered as long as you're not taking part in a race or timed event

Me: Is this phone call being recorded?

Rep: Yes

Me: LOOOOOOL!

Haha
Old 09-22-2017, 08:13 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Thread revival!

@ shizzle.. very much appreciate your shared knowledge. I am just revisiting this thread in advance of my .2 GT3 .. My intent was to attend at least 6-10 events / year.. Would there be any updates to this explanation that HPDE events are covered under our normal Insurance? ( I have no issues suing.. )

if you are concerned about it, try this:

http://www.trackdayinsurance.ca/

no affiliation and I haven't used them. perhaps foolishly, I "self-insure" when it comes to track events. I am not relying or expecting my normal insurer to come through in the event of an incident...
Old 09-22-2017, 10:21 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Thread revival!

Sorry, didn't see this the other day. There have been no changes that would affect your insurance. I know of at least two cases in the last year where cars wrecked at Mosport were covered by insurance. The same factors regarding controlled passing, non-competitive, no timing were all specifically examined by the insurance company. Luckily everything was covered (after a lengthy investigation period), but nothing required going to court. Funnily enough, I instructed at an Aviva sponsored track day - I think they're recognizing that when HPDE are done right, they aren't the liabilities people make them out to be.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:29 AM
RealityGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by cstyles
I must be one of the very few people that have confirmed coverage at the track as part of my normal policy. Unfortunately, I am insured by Northbridge's staff division so not open to the public - sorry in advance.

Phonecall last summer:

Rep: Yes, you are covered as long as you're not taking part in a race or timed event

Haha

Originally Posted by shizzle
Sorry, didn't see this the other day. There have been no changes that would affect your insurance. I know of at least two cases in the last year where cars wrecked at Mosport were covered by insurance. The same factors regarding controlled passing, non-competitive, no timing were all specifically examined by the insurance company. Luckily everything was covered (after a lengthy investigation period), but nothing required going to court. Funnily enough, I instructed at an Aviva sponsored track day - I think they're recognizing that when HPDE are done right, they aren't the liabilities people make them out to be.

Thank you for the information. Sincerely appreciate it. I've looked at my coverage and it does seem that I would be "good" with the verbiage..
Old 09-24-2017, 02:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cstyles

Phonecall last summer:

Haha
not to say you aren't covered but do you feel confident that if you needed it the insurance company will provide you with the recording?
I wouldn't do this for fear of them cancelling a policy but if they said you are covered, why not ask for it in writing?

Quick Reply: Ontario Insurance at the Track